NGD, CN200 poor girl - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
HDS

NGD, CN200 poor girl

Poor girl needs some HDS love
A few problems already addressed. The paint being one of them, it was water base so that was easy. The first owner had glued the neck to the pocket to make it a set neck. The fret board was coming away at the nut. The bridge pickup was missing the flying finger and has this strange pickup that has a plastic base plate which I have never seem before??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 06:44 PM

Re: NGD, NC200 poor girl

Needs some love???!!!

Looks past the kiss of life stage to me

Good luck and post pics of the progress!!! Sure looks like you've got a tough job there
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 06:59 PM

poor guitar. its evokes the same emotion as seeing an abused dog or something. ha ha. fix it up man. as long its playable, you can hook it up.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 07:45 PM

She's worth saving
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 07:51 PM

I actually think that the paint on the body looks quite nice, I would keep it if it has a nice texture. But being water-based, of course, get rid of it!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:02 PM

got updates pics yet, always love seeing a phoenix emerge from the ashes
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:44 PM

Wow, that's a shame. Can't wait to see it all fixed up!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
HDS

Done, I didnt strip her, I wanted to keep the old 1977 finish and have some mojo

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 04:40 AM

Great job. Very satisfying, no doubt
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
HDS

Thanks, yeah.

Got her setup and sounding sweet ....then the wife took her =O

LOL
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 09:32 PM

Beautiful
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:07 AM

Re: NGD, CN200 poor girl

WOW What a difference

Fantastic job, looks like a completely different guitar!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Thanks, I am very taken with her, Shes a very good player. Almost a Les Paul in feel and sound. I guess being mahog/maple is why. If you find one I say grab it and from what I have found online, they are scarce.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:43 PM

This makes me happy; it looks wonderful!

Hello, everyone! I am the person from whom HDS recently purchased this CN200. He just emailed me some photos of it ( thank you for remembering ) and I thought I would look on here, as well, so I just registered to post this....

That guitar was used on about 400 live gigs and in countless studio sessions over the course of a couple decades, and the battle scars and "personality" ( paint! etc. ) it gained during that time was naturally earned - not through abuse, but through its natural passage through those times: touring vans, dressing room doorways, cramped stages and studios, microphone stands, the bass player's Precision's headstock, and even an impudent or aggressive face or two!

I bought the guitar brand-new in the summer of 1978 at Sam Ash in New York, for $299 including the case. I was attracted to the body design ( like a Stratocaster, which I liked ) and the Gibson-style components. It did indeed feel and play like a Les Paul. Anyway, it looked damn good and the price was fantastic, since the Fenders and Gibsons all seemed to be priced at around a thousand dollars ( and built like crap ) at the time. The Ibanez Artist series were gaining a lot of respect and press at the time, but I could not afford one of those, either!

The quest at that time ( Carlos Santana was one big influence on guitar players then ) was for more and more sustain. The glued neck and the brass nut were some of the approaches used at the time in that search. With today's perspective such things of course might seem faintly ridiculous, but at the time modding guitars was in its infancy.

The bridge pickup replacement with that cream open dual-coil unit ( a highly-regarded and high-quality, hi-spec Bill Lawrence, by the way; the only other quality choice I was aware of at the time was DiMarzio and their offerings then were too "hot" for what I wanted ) and the mini-toggles for split-coil and reverse phase were an avant-garde if ham-fisted attempt to bring the guitar to where it was needed to compete with the advanced designs hitting the market at that time, and to make it work better for me.

Everyone at the time was playing newer ( poor quality ) Stratocasters and Les Pauls, it seemed. I chose to buck the trend and go a different way in using this Ibanez, recognizing its quality and its abilities. Trust me, I was criticized and made fun of for it. Regardless, I chose to enhance the guitar's intrinsic abilities with changes to meet my own personal needs, and over the course of many decades it gained its own personality. And remember, at the time it was just a great working guitar, not a collectible or a historic piece....

And don't ask ( "don't tell", lol ) about the circumstances under which it gained that paint job one evening.....ah, those were the days!

What ultimately replaced the CN200 as my # 1 and relegated it almost permanently to its case? Well, a Fender American Standard Stratocaster ( still my current # 1 ). Since then, I have added so many guitars to my arsenal ( 6 Gibsons, 4 Rickenbackers, and 6 Fenders currently, among some other odds and ends ) that the Ibanez never got played - and, anyway, sadly it ended up needing way more attention than I was qualified or motivated to give.

Interestingly, given that early history of mine - and now that guitar modding is all the rage these days - every one of my current guitars is dead stock, lol!

HDS, I will continue to look for the "cloud" and the other Flying Fingers pickup, and let you know when I find them - as I mentioned to you, I know I have them I just "haven't found that box yet". When I give you the other Flying Finger, I would love to have the Bill Lawrence back - if at all possible. If not, I understand and no problem! I will also try to find some photos I have of the guitar in action "back in the day", and post them here.

I am very happy to see someone as talented and skilled as HDS - with a true interest in the guitar and brand - spend the time and effort to bring it "back to life". It has truly found itself a good home, which is really all I wanted when I sold it to him. Good on ya, man.

And cheers to all of you for appreciating and supporting a brand that truly deserves it!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:49 PM

Hi Collision,

Thanks for popping by and telling the story, it was a good read.

Jacob.

Tags
cn200

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode