NGD: A confusing RG with JEM body - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

NGD: A confusing RG with JEM body

I picked this up today from Kijiji; claims its an RG 550. Plays great and god knows what pups these are. Any help is appreciated to give this guy an identity. Also, the bridge cant be pulled back cos of the weird setup its in. Is there something I can do myself for this to go both ways? Advices welcome.

I paid 350 CAD for this so really didnt mind the issues. This is really the best neck Ive played, second to my Charvel So-Cal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 11:06 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: NGD: A confusing RG with JEM body

We need a pic of the back of the guitar and one of the input jack to know for sure. The setup is screwed up on it, that's why you can't pull up. the trem is already angled in the "pull up" position.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Here you go :

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 AM

Cool....

It's an aftermarket body with a '94 neck. If it was done well, you got a good deal.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 08:08 AM

Pickups look like old Ibanez Powersounds.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 07:55 PM

Hi!

If it's an aftermarket body, then it is extremely well made (excellent covers fit and other details) but it may be a refinished lower range JEM body also...

In case the pickups are weak, then replace them and you have a great RG/JEM guitar!

Cheers, JPB
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

I have no idea about powersounds. The neck pickups sound way too bright than usual. I'll get this checked soon.

@IBzeP: I have a Super Distortion pup id be installing on the bridge.

@RGTFanatic: So, its not done well. I have to get some routing done in the cavity since the trem bar doesn't go both ways. It hits the wood when pulled back; here's a pic:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psaqfm6gvj.jpg

I just fell in love with the neck. Now I really know what a "fast neck" is
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 11:04 AM

The bridge isn't set up properly.
It shouldn't be 'flush' with the body like that, when viewed from the side of the bridge. The side should look like it's angled up. Check Rich site, www.ibanezrules.com for a great tutorial on how this should be set up.
I can see in the picture that the bridge is way too far angled back. Just loosen the springs a bit until the knife edges (if you look at the side, you'll see the little dark insert) are parallel with the body. That should give you some nice pull-up.
Whomever set that guitar up didn't seem to have a clue.
I seriously doubt you'll need to do any routing once it's set up properly.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Meechy. On it right now. All my other FR guitars have more space there tho hence I thought cavity works needed. Here's an example of my Jackson:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psfcawj2sv.jpg
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 11:36 AM

Right, but your Jackson has a flat-plate FR, the Edge has an upward angle on the side, it shouldn't be set flat like I see in your pictures.
Like I said; look at the little knife edge insert you'll see near the E strings right on the side of the bridge. Hold the guitar in playing position and look down at it, into the cavity. You'll see what I mean.
Rich's site describes it better, and with pictures.
Have fun.

Last edited by Meechy; 08-01-2015 at 03:22 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meechy View Post
Right, but your Jackson has a flat-plate FR, the Edge has an upward angle on the side, it shouldn't be set flat like I see in your pictures.
Like I said; look at the little knife edge insert you'll see nere the E strings right on the side of the bridge. Hold the guitar in playing position and look down at it, into the cavity. You'll see what I mean.
Rich's site describes it better, and with pictures.
Have fun.
THIS^^^^

By getting the trem angle correct, you'll gain a fair amount of pull-up. This is definitely an aftermarket body (Perle?) with a horrendous setup. Once the setup is right, you'll be amazed at how much more you like it.

Here is the section on Rich's site that give you all the information you need for setting up your trem...... Go directly to the Edge/Lo-Pro section.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 12:43 PM

If you have a lot of time (and a few beers) read through the whole tech section, writing down notes that apply to your guitars. This is the Ibanez players guide to getting the perfect setup for each player. Rich deserves an award for putting out this much info. It took him YEARS worth of experience and countless hours compiling all of it for us......

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
If you have a lot of time (and a few beers) read through the whole tech section, writing down notes that apply to your guitars. This is the Ibanez players guide to getting the perfect setup for each player. Rich deserves an award for putting out this much info. It took him YEARS worth of experience and countless hours compiling all of it for us......

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
THIS THIS THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ibanez should link to his setup site, it's that good!
And no; I'm not biased because of our mutual ladder fetish.
(Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL)
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

I read through the ibanezrules setup material and damn it helped ! Thanks RGTFanatic.

Meechy, I now have it setup for pull-ups without any cavity work. Thanks a lot for saving me some time and money. My guitar guy said otherwise.

Since I have a loose arm, I tried to follow what a youtube video showed. i.e. to remove bushings and expand it. In the process I made it worse by losing one : [

I'm looking to buy an arm/bushings from ibanezrules. Thanks again for all the tips
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Btw, can you guys give me a lil' insight on how to make a floating trem flutter (a la Steve Vai's). Is there a sure fire way?

Tags
ibanez jem , original edge , project guitar , rg550 , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode