NGD! Did I do good? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
NGD! Did I do good?

I went down to GC today to pick up some strings for my SG and saw a 1992/93 MIJ S470 on the wall for $310. I asked them to pull it down for me. I was really curious to see why there were lesser valuable Ibanez's on the wall for the same prices and some even more. This thing was dirty as hell! Fret board was dry and frets and strings were really oxodized. It was really hard to play. Knowing I have 30 days to get my money back, I bought it. I tried to get them lower but the best I could do was $310 out the door.

I brought her home and really cleaned her. Took some steel wool to the frets, cleaned the fretboard and oiled it and now my hands just glide across it. I really expected to spend about an hour floating the trem but it literally took me 5 minutes. The low pro edge is really nice!! I think she's a keeper!

So is $310 a good price? Other than a little oxodization on some of the pickup poles and 2 very small paint chips (one on the bottom of the body and one on the tip of the headstock) she's in really good condition.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: NGD! Did I do good?

Not bad--did you get a case with it?
Even though this is a MIJ version with original Edge--you could have done a little better than $310.00
Did you talk to a manager, or just a clerk?
Those GC folks rarely know old Ibanez guitars, and I'm sure you could have brought them down a bit.

Either way--you got a nice guitar--congrats!

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Yes, it came with a molded hard shell Ibanez case. I'd forgotten about that.

I'd once had a newer Ibanez that had covered (EMG styled) V7/V8 pickups. I really didn't care for those. The V7/V8 pickups in this older S sound better to me. Did they change the specs over the years?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Yes--in fact, and upon further inspection--yours has the LoPro Edge. That's even better, plus the case= pretty good deal!

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 07:58 AM

good deal ! if you're comfy with, keep it
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

I thought the pickups sounded different. Much more versitile.

I love the LoPro! I'd only had an edge III in the past and it always took a lot of work to float the bridge. After taking off all the strings on to clean the neck, I just put new strings on and tuned to pitch. Trem was perfectly leveled!!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 08:05 AM

I think you did well. The LoPro + MIJ lift it above the usual S470 quality and price. You could have gotten an S470 for less, but then paid $75-100 for a trem swap, and still had to deal with various build issues that were the norm on the early MIK S models. I also think the trans red finish is one of the nicer finishes from back then.

You are hereby authorized to be happy with your new guitar.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 10:37 AM

good deal. hngd!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 03:20 PM

Reviews: 10

I think that is a great deal!!! compare that to what $310 would have gotten you out of the other guitars in the store - you put some work into it and now you have a nice MIJ Ibby - I think you did great!!! I would have bought it in a heartbeat for $310...great score - congrats man
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. At the time I bought it I couldn't find any info online about what the MIJ's were selling for. I'm quite happy with it. Just needed some opinions on the value. They also had a really cool EX with a maple fretboard and Dimarzios but the Lo TRS fell out of tune very easily.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:49 PM

Reviews: 120

The EXs aren't really good guitars at all. Don't worry about that one.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 06:30 PM

Reviews: 13

Seems like a great deal, its getting hard to find reasonable priced s series guitars without the stupid inlay!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 07:03 PM

Sweet guitar. Everyone needs at least one early period S Series, and the lo-pro just makes it even better! Absolutely worth why you paid for it, and then some IMO.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyansJem View Post
Seems like a great deal, its getting hard to find reasonable priced s series guitars without the stupid inlay!
You know, that's one thing that drew me to it. I prefer dot inlays on a Ibanez.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 12:21 PM

Cool color, and that's a really good deal with a case.

Tags
mij , s470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode