NGD: Ebay score! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

NGD: Ebay score!

I'd been extremely unlucky with two guitars I purchased through GC and I've been scouring the planet for a clean example of a vintage Ibanez S540. FINALLY found one on ebay that wasn't listed well (title wasn't easily found) and I managed to score it for a very good price. Covered in stickers, I knew I was taking a bit of a chance but from the looks of the photos the guitar was a bit dirty but otherwise very clean.

And I was right. This think is pristine except for one little knick on the side and a bit of corrosion on some of the metal parts. It literally looks like it's been sitting since 1993 when the guitar was made. Came with a "prestige" hard case too. It'll really clean up nicely.

My plan had been to find something relatively straight without a lot of damage but that perhaps needed refinishing. This one may be too nice to refinish. Something to ponder.

I was going to wait and clean her up first but meh, why wait. This'll be the fourth S series I've bought this month. I'm done.

Crappy iPhone Photos!

NO neck pocket cracks amazingly.

Only real damage on the guitar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Re: NGD: Ebay score!

Not ready to show this one in it's entirety but it too is another ebay score.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:42 PM

Thats Caribbean Blue. Dont refinish it. I have one coming to me Monday that I got from GC.

Nice find!!!
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Did you buy the one that was an '88 model with the toggle switches? I almost pulled the trigger on that one.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:50 PM

Yes. I just really wanted a 540 with the Edge trem. I think that is mostly the reason I had not bought a 540 until this point. It was described to be in great shape. We will see on Monday.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
Thats Caribbean Blue. Dont refinish it. I have one coming to me Monday that I got from GC.

Nice find!!!
That's Emerald Green, stock finish for a 1993 S540LTD.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:00 PM

I wouldn't touch that finish either. Looks great as is.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
Yes. I just really wanted a 540 with the Edge trem. I think that is mostly the reason I had not bought a 540 until this point. It was described to be in great shape. We will see on Monday.
I bought two other S models from them with that same description over the phone(there's actually a post with photos) and both turned out to have major issues and I ended up handing them back. I then stumbled on a bubinga from 2000 and snagged it. Came in good shape but it does need a bit of fret work (there's some wear). Out of all the S guitars I now have, the 2000 S1520 seemed to have been given the most detail work on the neck. The frets and ends are just super smooth and I'm almost thinking it was done by a pro at some point. After the 2000, the S5470 has the nicest fretwork. Last would be the Indo S5EX1 but it's actually a quite nice guitar overall with horrible stock pickups.

If that one doesn't work for you, they have another for substantially more money in Jewel Blue, a LTD. I personally feel like it's over priced but others might not think so.

The photos make my guitar look more blue than it really is, it's more of a jade green in person with tinges of blue.

Last edited by MichelIV; 10-25-2012 at 01:21 PM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:12 PM

Very nice finish, congrats !
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 02:02 PM

Reviews: 2

Yeah cool finish. She needs some TLC and she will be happy. Congrats.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 03:45 PM

Reviews: 10

great score! I can never understand people who put stickers on their guitars =[ very nice guitar - looks like the frets might need a little TLC but it looks to be in nice shape and a great score fer sure - congrats man!!!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I think the stickers scared a few potential bidders off which was fine by me. One guy came in and bid four times so I ended up paying a bit more than I had hoped but it was still well under what I was paying for junk.

Frets definitely need some TLC. There's no fret wear at all but they need a serious polish. Will be hitting them with the 000 steel wool tonight and immersing lots of metal parts in WD40.

Anyone ever refinish or polish out a trem? The cosmo finish is worn in some spots and corroded in others. Not horrible by any means but if I can do something about it, why not.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 05:21 PM

Nice one.

By the way, Caribbean Blue is this color:

Next to my '87 DY, this is my second favorite Saber.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

It's definitely not caribbean blue then. Just looked up the 2003 catalog, emerald green seems to be the closest color but it's tough as there's no real color accuracy and it all depends on how things were calibrated when the catalog went digital, my screen, etc..nothing's an exact match. But in 2004, the emerald green turned much darker.

Last edited by MichelIV; 10-25-2012 at 05:53 PM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 09:51 AM

The polyester clear that Ibanez used has a tendency to yellow over time, which can completely change the appearance of the guitar. This is extremely apparent on white, DY and SK.

Tags
1993 , ebay , s540 , vintage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode