NGD: EBMM JP6 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

NGD: EBMM JP6

I had been looking for a JP6 lately and found this one in MINT condition on CL for $1050. I doesn't look played at all and came with all the case candy, etc. I'm really impressed with the build quality and especially the feel of the neck. I had been having problems with wizards lately and after playing this I'm thinking it wasn't necessarily that they're too thin but more the flat/wide aspect. The JP is pretty thin but rounded and little narrower I think... It feels narrower than my RG1421 anyway. It doesn't have the piezo but I don't own an acoustic amp anyway. Plus, I didn't want to invest near $2k until I knew I'd like it long-term and with the rate I've been going through gear lately I give it a 50/50 chance despite the feeling right now of holding on to it forever . I saw a beautiful USA Charvel San Dimas in Candy Blue with a quartersawn maple neck for $849 in a local shop the other day that I keep telling myself I don't need...

The only thing that sucks is that I can't hear it through an amp until next Wednesday since I returned my TA-15 to order a Mark V which was shipped today!

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_0201.jpg
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_0203.jpg
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/...s/271f48ef.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 11:59 PM

Re: NGD: EBMM JP6

I am on the fence with getting one of these, specifically the black sugar with the roasted neck, I played one once and loved it, so do you agree the neck is faster and more comfy than the wizard?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalgod72 View Post
I am on the fence with getting one of these, specifically the black sugar with the roasted neck, I played one once and loved it, so do you agree the neck is faster and more comfy than the wizard?
I played one of those and it was awesome! The only thing that got me was the gloss painted neck (like all BFRs have). The unfinished/waxed neck on the JP6 is REALLY comfy. Try to find one to play if you get a chance. I don't know if the neck is "faster" as I'm not really that fast but I definitely found it more comfortable. It's sorta similar to the Ultra neck on my PR1. It's different but similarly comfy to me. I definitely prefer the finish on the JP6 neck though.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 12:23 AM

Congrats man. JP6's are great. I have a BFR baritone and a JPX and love them. GASing for a JP7 to round out the group now
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 04:11 AM

Congrats, it looks like an older JP6 from 2006 which sound better to me than one I bought in 2010.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
Congrats, it looks like an older JP6 from 2006 which sound better to me than one I bought in 2010.
I guess it's possible that it's NOS but the guy I bought it from got it in early 2010. I planned on emailing EBMM with the serial number to confirm the year so I know which pickups are in it without having to pull them.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:21 AM

if its an 06 wouldnt they be a D-Sonic and Air Norton or a tweaked Air Norton
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider69 View Post
if its an 06 wouldnt they be a D-Sonic and Air Norton or a tweaked Air Norton
I believe that's correct since they didn't switch to the LF/CL until 2009/2010 (I can't remember exactly). But my serial number is pretty high so I don't think it's going to be a 2006 model plus the guy I bought it from bought it NEW in early 2010. I have a request in and hope to find out soon. I put a D-Sonic in my JS1600 but they're such different guitars I don't know if I'd be able to tell the difference. Plus, I have no amp til Wednesday
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:05 AM

Yup, my '06 has a Dimarzio custom wound neck pickup.

Post the serial in the EBMM forums and you'll have an answer in a day or two.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:23 PM

Just e-mail EBMM CS. They will give you the date of birth and even just tell you what pickups they are if you ask. They started using the CL/LF in like June of 09. Take it fron someone that owns JP's with both sets of pickups. They both sound great. If it does turn out to hae a D-Sonic and custom neck IMO a swap to the CL/LF is not worth it. Really the CL/LF is just a tweaked D-Sonic and AN.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I posted a request on in the EBMM forum and got the answer today. It was built on June 10, 2010 so it definitely has the LF/CL combo I guess he didn't get it quite so early in 2010, lol. I can't wait to get my amp!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 03:32 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEmuOfDoom View Post
I'm really impressed with the build quality and especially the feel of the neck. I had been having problems with wizards lately and after playing this I'm thinking it wasn't necessarily that they're too thin but more the flat/wide aspect. The JP is pretty thin but rounded and little narrower I think... It feels narrower than my RG1421 anyway.
I never played a JP6/7 myself, and the thing I'm most curious about is the neck.
I always hear people saying how great it feels.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
I never played a JP6/7 myself, and the thing I'm most curious about is the neck.
That was my biggest curiosity as well and I'm definitely not disappointed.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:06 PM

Congrats man! She's a beaut!
JP6, BFR6 and BFR Dargie owner here and I love them!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
I can't speak for how it would feel to you, but for me it was spectacular. It felt instantly right.

Tags
jp6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode