NGD - EVH Gear Wolfgang Stealth HT - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

NGD - EVH Gear Wolfgang Stealth HT

This will be a slightly picture intensive, and long, post.

I am going to start this by stating a fact: 4 years later, my MIJ Wolfgang Special is the nicest guitar I own, and is an absolute dream to play. It stays in tune, the D-Tuna still amazes me, it sounds awesome, and I fall in love with the neck all over again every single time I pick it up. I truly love this guitar, have for 4 years, and to this day, whenever I take it out of the case to play, I feel like a kid who is getting a “treat.”

I am not sponsored by Fender, or EVH Gear, but if you haven’t picked one of these up to try, you really are missing out, and if you own one yourself, you know I am not just whistling Dixie. They really are something special.

So, last year, my brother built me an EVH Kramer replica, and for all intents and purposes, that became my “daily driver.” Wolf stayed in the closet, in its case, and “Bozo” and I became very well acquainted.

My brother truly is skilled in terms of making a wonderful instrument, and I love playing this thing……..but it cannot stay in tune for more than 5 seconds, and I have a real bad feeling that the bridge pins are coming loose from the body. Seeing that it took him 7 months to hand carve and hand build, I am REAL worried about damaging it. This isn’t just a guitar to me – it’s a testament of love from one brother to another….so as much as I love it hanging on my wall, or plugging him in and letting him scream, I am probably going to put it into a case and let it rest for a while as I find a luthier that can fix the problem.

In the meantime, I love the idea and design of Floyds, but for me, they just don’t work. I **very** rarely even bother attaching a whammy bar to my guitar. 9 times out of 10, I’m playing rhythm anyway.

I wasn’t looking to add another child to the collection. It truly started because I simply wanted tuning stability….but then it quickly snowballed and became more. I guess that is just the way of things, or maybe it is the little lie we tell ourselves in order to justify getting “one more.”

I wanted something that played well, sounded good, wouldn’t break the bank, didn’t have a Floyd, that stayed in tune and could take a beating. Requisites were pretty straightforward and simple.

I was **this** close to pulling the trigger on a Schecter Hellraiser before it dawned on me:

“My Wolfgang is awesome. I love playing that thing. The only reason I don’t anymore is because it is becoming a “collector’s item.” [They are no longer MIJ, no longer have quilt as a top, and no longer have stainless vintage medium frets.] Why would I want to switch things up with a totally new guitar if Wolf is the guitar I am always going to WANT to play, the one I LOVE playing?”

From then on out, it was simply a matter of finding one.

I scoured all the big box stores, ebay, craigslist, was doing cost tracking, and averages, etc.

These typically sell from $650-800, but even at the higher end of the cost spectrum, they are made in China. Mine is MIJ, and I KNOW the quality of it. I’m sure the MIC and MIM versions play just fine, but as I have NEVER bought a guitar over eBay, unplayed before, I wasn’t about to take a risk on an “unknown.” Regardless of what your bias on this subject is, I’ll pay the money for quality, perceived or not.

I was budgeting for $700. I wound up snagging this for $549, shipped, and the second I hit the “buy it now” button, I was waiting for the police to show up, cause I really feel like I stole this thing. It does have a few “dings,” but seriously…..the thing is clean. Maybe it was going so cheap because everyone wants the Floyd / D-Tuna model? Either way you cut it, I don’t find myself getting many deals, and truly felt like I got an awesome one on this. The **case** sells for like $180.

Wolf has NEVER given me tuning problems, and while I am sure I will miss the D-Tuna at some point, I have a feeling this thing is going to deliver exactly what I want.

I already feel like it has a soul. Maybe it's because there is no center cavity cutout for a Floyd, and there is simply more wood, but this thing sounds different than the Tobacco one, and it SCREAMS.

I don’t particularly like black guitars. I never have. They are too common, and I love wood grain too much. However, this thing isn’t a “typical” gloss black – to me, that satin / matte actually goes a long way in distinguishing itself as something a little bit different.

This is also the only guitar I have that has an ebony fretboard.

Between the fretboard, the bridge, and the fact that it is used, the thing was different enough for me to justify the purchase, and I have a feeling that this one will become my main for a long time…..at least until Fender / EVH release one in Trans Blue Quilt, anyway….then I’ll just have to come up with another reason for “just one more….”

Last edited by erasetheprocess; 05-07-2015 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Formatting Cleanup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 01:02 PM

Re: NGD - EVH Gear Wolfgang Stealth HT

Nice score, erasetheprocess... all three are beauties! Cool background story to go along with 'em too.

And I hear ya on the Floyds. I play mostly rhythm myself and have only one guitar with a Floyd on it. I finally blocked it, and now I like playing that guitar again... stays in tune better.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 05:59 PM

heck yeah bro, congrats. Never played one.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:18 AM

Awsome guitars. I've got a Stealth too and I love it.

What kind of bridge does the 5150 have? Its hard to see from the photo, but it doesn't look like it got a Brand stamped on it. That may be the tuning problem. Might be an idea to up grade to a real Floyd Rose or even a FR special. They work pretty good too.

Again, awesome guitars and a great collection you have.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
Might be an idea to up grade to a real Floyd Rose or even a FR special.
Or even better, install a ZR bridge!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:39 AM

Awesome purchase! I have a USA Stealth Black Wolfgang w/locking trem & D-Tuna. I don't think you will miss too much doing rhythm. I've only used the D-Tuna once. I don't know if yours is the same, but I'm surprised how heavy mine is. Especially for not being the biggest guitar and the body is basswood w/a maple top. Mine has some serious heft to it! By the way play that Wolfgang Special don't lock it away like a collectors item play it!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
What kind of bridge does the 5150 have?
I honestly don't know. In the description of the guitar that he gave me with the specs, he literally listed it as "Licensed Floyd Rose Trem Modded with Ibanez LO-TRS Saddles." Maybe that is the issue, maybe not, but I know I shouldn't be the one to make the call on it. The reason I wonder about the bridge pins is because I know that I personally have needed to screw them down a few cranks now, twice. I really just need to bring it into a pro to have a look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 74 View Post
I don't know if yours is the same, but I'm surprised how heavy mine is. Especially for not being the biggest guitar and the body is basswood w/a maple top. Mine has some serious heft to it! By the way play that Wolfgang Special don't lock it away like a collectors item play it!
Yeah, I was actually a little surprised by it, when I first picked it up. It feels heavier, meatier, in comparison to the other one. I really have a feeling it might be because they aren't routing the wood for the Floyd, but yeah, it has some heft to it. I wonder now what yours (with the arch top) would feel like.

I don't want to turn the Tobacco Burst one into a Case Queen, as I agree, guitars are meant to be played, and a little bit of wear in tear is a sign of usage and love. I'm sure he'll get some played over the years, but right now, there is something about this new one that...begs to be played. I honestly couldn't put it down all weekend.

For all the worry I had about the fret ends being screwed up, and how it would be to buy a guitar on eBay that I had never played? I am *incredibly* happy with this thing.

Remember how I said I wanted tuning stability, first and foremost? Well I picked up a Snark SN-2 chromatic tuner on Friday. I tuned this thing once, and those strings haven't moved. My brother said the double locking nut is probably overkill, but it delivers exactly what I wanted, so I know I made the right choice.

Finally, a couple more pics, because, well who doesn't like more pictures?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 11:27 AM

Love those pics! I just realized you don't have the arch top. Mine may be around the same, like you said because mine is routed, but it's heavy. Like close to Les Paul heavy. I may put a copper or brass block on the bottom of the trem and some noiseless springs. What kind of JS is that?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Love those pics!
Thanks. I bought a DSLR last year and spent another 250 bucks on a lens specifically so I could take pictures like that, with the focus changes and stuff. Wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Quote:
What kind of JS is that
1999 JS100, swapped the pups to Fred and PAF Pro about 4 years ago. Yeah, maybe the neck and bridge aren't the same as a JS1000 or a 1200, but I'll be d*mned if that thing doesn't give "The Satch Tone."

"Joe" remains the first "real" instrument I ever had. Lotta hours on that fretboard, and a lot of memories with it.

Tags
evh , stealth , wolfgang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode