Ibanez JEM Forum banner

NGD: EVH Wolfgang USA Stealth

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  karimbaig 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about one of these a lot lately. Always loved the neck on a Wolfgang, and I've never owned a USA version. Guitar is very bright sounding. Love the clarity you get from the pups especially when you pour on the OD & distortion. Plus it doesn't float which I like, and the D-Tuna is still genius though I don't really play anything that needs it. Oh well you never know. Only thing missing are some neon DR strings!

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome and congratz!
I used to own a Peavey Wolfgang USA Standard Deluxe, also a awesome guitar (in my opinion anyway). I wish I could run a d-tuna on my JS1000... still with a full floating lively trem, I really miss that feature on the Wolfgangs... always a trade off...
My guess is your EVH is even a higher quality than the old Peaveys... I am slightly jealous.

#3 ·
I never owned the US version of the Peavey Wolfgang so I couldn't tell you. I can definitely tell a big difference over the Peavey Wolfgang Special. I still can't believe how heavy it is. Makes me wonder if they accidentally used Mahogany on mine....certainly feels like it. The stealth black finish can't add that much to the weight. It's cool how the volume knob is real loose so you can twirl it back and forth w/ease while the tone knob is nice and tight so it doesn't move too easy...even if you accidentally bump it. Might put some all flat black bobbin toppers on to make it all black....maybe. Can't you install a D-Tuna on a floater? If not you could always install a backstop or trem block then install the D-Tuna. It would be cool on JS! By the way Dead Body why did you get rid of your Wolfgang?

#7 ·
I really debated the all maple neck black version because I only have one maple board guitar, but the DR Neon just won't look as cool plus how can you pass up an ebony board. Case is really nice too....better be for the price! There molded so you can stack them. If you look at the pic above you can see where the curved feet on the bottom interlock w/the corners on the top. Definitely need to stretch the springs big time....trem is really stiff. I didn't check yet to see how many springs are in the back. Maybe I'll record something tonight on my phone and post......we'll see.

#9 ·
Scott 74: I sold mine because I knew the guitar for me was something more like a JS1000(shape, sound, trem, electronics, etc). The Wolfgang was such a high quality instrument though and I didn't like the idea of modifying such a "mint" older axe just to make it "more like something else". I did love the maple neck on the Wolfgang, almost converted me to a "Birdseye maple necks only" type of guy!

gunfighter1968: I figured you would have to route for the D-tuna with a full floating trem. Your picture confirms that reality. For now I have no plans to do that kind of body tweak. We'll see what the future holds in store though...

#11 ·
Yes, the D-tuna would have been too close to the body without routing. It was a big decision, but it turned out great, and looks like it was built that way originally. I am happy with the performance of it on a floating trem, so hopefully that can encourage others to use it on their full floaters.

#10 ·
Dead-Body3: It is a high quality instrument. Very solid, but so far the jury is still out on the pickups. Not sure I'm digging them. I ditched the factory strings and put some pea**** blue DR's on, but the guitar in my opinion is too bright.....a little too shrill even on the neck pickup. Could be my rig though so I'm not going to rush to any judgment just yet. I know I'm just nitpicking here, but if your going to make the guitar stealth then lose the zebra colored pickups. Wait I just scrolled up....there not that bad *lol*

#14 ·
EVH's tone has gotten more and more treblely (made up word) over the years. Which is interesting from a biological perspective since as we get older our ability to hear higher pitches decreases. I am guessing he is compensating for not being able to hear the highs as well. I would definitely throw some different pickups in there and rock on.

#12 ·
Scott 74: maybe they should have called it "tuxedo-stealth"?

Looks awesome to me, the pickups match the color combination of the binding and paint... The EVH case looks sooo much better, there is actually room or something more than a golf ball. The Peavey cases did not leave hardly any room for accessory storage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.