NGD: An evil looking RG7620 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
NGD: An evil looking RG7620

I've been playing guitar since 1989, but today is the first time I've ever played a 7-string; I found a screaming deal on a beautifully preserved RG7620, so I had to pull the trigger.

Now, I'll just have to learn how to actually incorporate the 7th string for more than just "chugga-chugga" sounds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 06:53 PM

Re: NGD: An evil looking RG7620

It's about darn time you got a 7!

It looks great!

Enjoy!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 08:25 AM

Reviews: 21

Awesome score! Great guitar!!
Enjoy!
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 01:03 PM

Congratulations jem7vwh! the guitar looks great, i too was a 7 string virgin a month ago, but now i can't seem to put down my RG1527.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
Congratulations jem7vwh! the guitar looks great, i too was a 7 string virgin a month ago, but now i can't seem to put down my RG1527.
Ditto. My dad has an off-brand 7-string and I never liked it. It had a neck like a 2x4 and I found it incredibly difficult to play. The RG, however, is pretty manageable, and I'm enjoying trying to find new chord voicings and riffs on the lower strings.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 09:10 AM

Reviews: 2

That is AWESOME

Best 7 string under $1500 IMHO

HNGD
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
Ditto. My dad has an off-brand 7-string and I never liked it. It had a neck like a 2x4 and I found it incredibly difficult to play. The RG, however, is pretty manageable, and I'm enjoying trying to find new chord voicings and riffs on the lower strings.
Yeah, that was my experience - I hadn't played everything on the market at that point, exactly, but I'd played a few non-Ibanez 7s before buying my first 7620, and I found the Ibanez way easier to get around on than any of the others (Jacksons, mostly) I'd played before that.

Also, shameless plug - this might give you a few things to get started on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvcekdVJJLQ
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 07:01 PM

Where is everyone finding these NOS ibanez guitars?! Looks so clean!

Care to share some more photo's?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 07:53 PM

Reviews: 2

Sheer luck of the draw dude

I had an extra mint 1999 vampire kiss rg7620 I just sold for peanuts

This looks amazing, best 7 string under $1500 but this ones worth whatever a universe costs! And for peanuts !!

Congrats again
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthyrian View Post

There's always some luck involved in buying a guitar online. I saw only a few pictures before I made an offer, and it turned out well.

But I also think there's a sort of a pattern to buying used guitars. When I first started getting into JEMs (the late 1990s), you could get a 777DY or SK for a pittance. It was the height of post-grunge awfulness (and the start of nu-metal's reign of terror). Anything that looked vaguely 80s was painfully uncool, and people were snapping up those JEMs for $500-900 on the 'bay. A lot of them got hideous black and navy amateur refinishes. Those guitars were about 10-15 years old. Nowadays, those kids from the 80s are hitting middle age, they've got disposable income, and they're chasing their childhood favorites. In the process, they drive up the prices. Those same DYs and SKs are commanding a bit more than $500.

Now, when I look for deals on the 'bay, I'm looking at guitars from those late 90s and early 2000s. Old Talmans, sparkle 517s, early 7-string RGs--they're pretty well at the bottom of the depreciation curve.

Remember when bands like P.O.D. and Staind were popular? When every band with self-loathing lyrics and de-tuned chugga-chugga riffs was on TRL? They played a lot of 7-strings and PRS guitars got huge. If I were a fan of those instruments, I'd be looking for similar deals on guitars from that era. How many people are lining up to buy a Mark Tremonti guitar or a K7 these days? I bet deals are to be had.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthyrian View Post

If you literally mean NOS, much of it comes from forgotten inventory at local guitar stores.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Now, when I look for deals on the 'bay, I'm looking at guitars from those late 90s and early 2000s. Old Talmans, sparkle 517s, early 7-string RGs--they're pretty well at the bottom of the depreciation curve.

Remember when bands like P.O.D. and Staind were popular? When every band with self-loathing lyrics and de-tuned chugga-chugga riffs was on TRL? They played a lot of 7-strings and PRS guitars got huge. If I were a fan of those instruments, I'd be looking for similar deals on guitars from that era. How many people are lining up to buy a Mark Tremonti guitar or a K7 these days? I bet deals are to be had.
With the 7620s, it really happened in '01-02 or so, when Musicians Friend blew them out after the nu-metal bubble started to burst. I grabbed my first 7, a 7620VK, off the wall at a local guitar shop where it'd been hanging with a $1400 list/$999 street price for a couple years where they cut it down to $799 and I got them down to maybe 700. It was only a couple months after that when MF liquidated them at $499, and the price didn't recover for years after that. It's only really been within the last 5 years where I've started to occasionally see clean 7620s in UV1000s with Dimarzios for more than $500-550 or so - for the longest time, you were talking $4-450. The seven string isn't so closely associated with nu-metal anymore and a lot of killer shred and technical metal players have been using them, so it's helped a little bit.

One of the more interesting side effects was that when the 1527 was first introduced, they were stupidly cheap - $599 street, as I recall. The reason for this I suspect was that the glut of 7620s on the market really put a ceiling on how high Ibanez could price a RG7 when they brought them back out. The 1527 happened to be a terrific guitar and was introduced in what seems to have been a really good era for Ibanez, so that thing was an absolute steal.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
The 1527 happened to be a terrific guitar and was introduced in what seems to have been a really good era for Ibanez, so that thing was an absolute steal.
I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. I'm very cautious about newer 3 and 5 piece Ibanez necks because the ones I've tried in GC feel like such baseball bats compared to the Golden Age RGs and JEMs in my collection. About a year and a half ago, I played a Prestige S series (a 5470 in trans red) that could have doubled for a Louisville Slugger. "Prestige Wizard" profile my a**.

Last edited by jem7vwh; 08-19-2015 at 01:33 PM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. I'm very cautious about newer 3 and 5 piece Ibanez necks because the ones I've tried in GC feel like such baseball bats compared to the Golden Age RGs and JEMs in my collection. About a year and a half ago, I played a Prestige S series (a 5470 in trans red) that could have doubled for a Louisville Slugger. "Prestige Wizard" profile my a**.
Ahh, you probably won't like it, then - it's definitely a little thicker than the Wizard 7 on the 7620, and a little squarer in the shoulders. Fit and finish was awesome on the few I've played, though, and I think it's the most comfortable Ibanez 7 string neck I've played - it's reminiscent of the 2027 and CST, I think.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Ahh, you probably won't like it, then - it's definitely a little thicker than the Wizard 7 on the 7620, and a little squarer in the shoulders. Fit and finish was awesome on the few I've played, though, and I think it's the most comfortable Ibanez 7 string neck I've played - it's reminiscent of the 2027 and CST, I think.
Yep, I'd definitely pass then. I really wish Ibanez would get back to making truly slim fast necks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode