NGD! First 7! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

NGD! First 7!

So I got my first 7 string finally.
An Ibanez RG7421 refinished body (black with a bit of sparkle, pretty bad finish job to be honest, and kind of beat up) and RG7620 neck. Got it on Sevenstring forums quite cheap. It came with the stock RG7421 pickups (which I'm not going to bother installing) and an Evo 7 bridge model.

I'm having problems keeping the 7th string in tune, and I think I know why. The saddle on that string was changed and it looks to be really really cheap. There's no spring, the edges are all sharp (even the groove for the string was done by the previous owner) and the height screw things arent even screwable, I needed to use plyers to get it anywhere.

But, other than that, it's a pretty solid guitar. I'm planning to mod it quite a bit.

-Refinishing the body either to natural or white w/black binding
-Installing a Liquifire in the neck and a ? way switch
-Upgrading the bridge to a Hipshot
-Upgrading the tuners to Sperzel or Schaller Locking tuners (opinions?)
-Possibly get a 7621 neck for it rather than the 7620 (I know it's not much difference, but that's why it's the last thing on the list.)

Here's some ****ty cell phone pics of it:

With my 2 Ibanez S540's. ****ty cell phone makes my Desert Yellow look like faded garbage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 05:19 AM

Re: NGD! First 7!

I'm also having trouble keeping the B-string in tune (RG7321). I think the stock tuners (Gotoh clones) works good enough, as I have no problems keeping the other strings in tune. I haven't tried the good 'ol pencil graphite trick yet, but will do. If that doesn't do it I'll have the nut replaced (and maybe put on a set of locking sperzels just to be sure - and it does make changing strings a lot easier and faster).

Check the nut, saddle and string winding first. It the nut is 'off', locking tuners won't solve your problem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:34 AM

Reviews: 13

A new bridge would possibly eliminate most of your tuning problems.
And you'll discover that 7-string guitars are a lot of fun (I play mine exclusively).
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm planning on ordering a hipshot tonight.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi79 View Post
So I got my first 7 string finally.
An Ibanez RG7421 refinished body (black with a bit of sparkle, pretty bad finish job to be honest, and kind of beat up) and RG7620 neck. Got it on Sevenstring forums quite cheap. It came with the stock RG7421 pickups (which I'm not going to bother installing) and an Evo 7 bridge model.

I'm having problems keeping the 7th string in tune, and I think I know why. The saddle on that string was changed and it looks to be really really cheap. There's no spring, the edges are all sharp (even the groove for the string was done by the previous owner) and the height screw things arent even screwable, I needed to use plyers to get it anywhere.

But, other than that, it's a pretty solid guitar. I'm planning to mod it quite a bit.

-Refinishing the body either to natural or white w/black binding
-Installing a Liquifire in the neck and a ? way switch
-Upgrading the bridge to a Hipshot
-Upgrading the tuners to Sperzel or Schaller Locking tuners (opinions?)
-Possibly get a 7621 neck for it rather than the 7620 (I know it's not much difference, but that's why it's the last thing on the list.)
Congrats on the NGD!! I was thinking about gettin a hipshot to replace the stock bridge in my 7321. Looks like you're getting one for your 7421. Any idea if that would fit a 7321? And if so, drop-in replacement?

Thanks and Happy NGD!! I'm lovin the 7321 for being an entry level 7!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmania408 View Post
Congrats on the NGD!! I was thinking about gettin a hipshot to replace the stock bridge in my 7321. Looks like you're getting one for your 7421. Any idea if that would fit a 7321? And if so, drop-in replacement?

Thanks and Happy NGD!! I'm lovin the 7321 for being an entry level 7!
I actually just ordered the bridge the other day. I got it off of Sevenstring forums. A guy started a group buy thing, he sent his stock 7421 bridge into Hipshot and they made a bridge that would be a direct fit. There has t be 10 people signed up to make a batch of bridges. These bridges are a drop in replacement for Japanese RG7's (7421/7621) but there is a couple holes that would need to be drilled IIRC for the 7321. Go to sevenstring.org and check it out.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi79 View Post
I actually just ordered the bridge the other day. I got it off of Sevenstring forums. A guy started a group buy thing, he sent his stock 7421 bridge into Hipshot and they made a bridge that would be a direct fit. There has t be 10 people signed up to make a batch of bridges. These bridges are a drop in replacement for Japanese RG7's (7421/7621) but there is a couple holes that would need to be drilled IIRC for the 7321. Go to sevenstring.org and check it out.
Cool. Yeah, someone else on sevenstring mentioned that the same hipshots that fit the 7421 may not be an absolute drop-in for the 7321. I'm on sevenstring as well.....same name.

Thanks for the info!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:20 PM

I like the color
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:53 PM

I had one of those once, played really well. I was dumb and traded for a prs se tremonti (which I hated).......Awesome!!

Tags
1st , 7 string , ibanez , ngd , rg7421

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode