NGD - Frankie EVH Replica - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2021, 08:43 AM

Re: NGD - Frankie EVH Replica

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I've never been huge on the Wolfgang really, and I've always loved Strats. I think maybe if the right Wolfgang type came along at the right price used maybe I'd consider it but they just don't get my juices flowing, maybe I need to play one to see if I like it. Not sure what are considered the best betweeen MM, Peavey and EVH but those early MM ones go for a lot.

I ended up just setting it up to float, it stays in tune now. I lose use of the D-tuna this way but I just don't know how to get around the issue.
You can toss EVH wolfangs out of that conversation lol.

Ive a few of both the EBMM and Peavey iterations (including an EBMM EVH)... I can basically summarize it as... EBMM's play better, and Wolfgangs sound better. Its real dumb lol. Wolfgangs are much cheaper for some reason though, and they play great; Im just splitting hairs really. That said, I dunno what the deal is with the EVH, but the string spacing is bonkers and the strings are REALLLLLLLLLL close to the fretboard edge lol. I didnt enjoy mine. I think my wolfgangs are real pretty but they arent the figured ones; albeit i have owned a few of them. I think in general, the EBMM is the better average instrument, but the Wolfgang is usually a MUCH better value. Ive yet to play an EVH wolfgang that I appreciated.

I retopped an axis here, lost it in my house fire tho :-/ (EDIT: Oh yeah, Sterling Ball actually asked me to remove the headstock decal for it, thats why shes naked there).

bob493 is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob493 View Post
You can toss EVH wolfangs out of that conversation lol.

Ive a few of both the EBMM and Peavey iterations (including an EBMM EVH)... I can basically summarize it as... EBMM's play better, and Wolfgangs sound better. Its real dumb lol. Wolfgangs are much cheaper for some reason though, and they play great; Im just splitting hairs really. That said, I dunno what the deal is with the EVH, but the string spacing is bonkers and the strings are REALLLLLLLLLL close to the fretboard edge lol. I didnt enjoy mine. I think my wolfgangs are real pretty but they arent the figured ones; albeit i have owned a few of them. I think in general, the EBMM is the better average instrument, but the Wolfgang is usually a MUCH better value. Ive yet to play an EVH wolfgang that I appreciated.

I retopped an axis here, lost it in my house fire tho :-/ (EDIT: Oh yeah, Sterling Ball actually asked me to remove the headstock decal for it, thats why shes naked there).

What I've always read about the EBMM EVH Signatures is that when they digitally copied the neck shape from the 5150 Kramer it had a worn-down spot on the treble side from the 12th fret on down - Ed evidently insisted that the necks on the prototypes weren't "right" until they bought the machinery to do the digital copy. At any rate you know how a normal neck widens slightly as you move from the nut to the heel, on the EVH the bass side widens like normal but the treble side either winds up not widening from the 12th to the 22nd or maybe even has a slight concave curve to it. They went to a "normal" tape on the treble side when it became the Axis after Ed left.

Evidently Peavey did not to that width thing - at least on the production models. I had a Wolfgang for about a year - fall of 1999 to fall of 2000 - and it was a cool guitar; in some respects I wish I had kept it longer but at the end of the day I moved it and a kind of mediocre LP Classic to fund a PRS Custom 22 (non-10 quilt top); the PRS didn't last much more than a year either.

My only foray into the Axis world was a SuperSport model with their MM90 pickups - I had the variation with the solid rosewood neck and rosewood top (instead of a maple top).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FunFvAk.jpg (28.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg xZzrLAZ.jpg (3.26 MB, 8 views)
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2021, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C View Post
What I've always read about the EBMM EVH Signatures is that when they digitally copied the neck shape from the 5150 Kramer it had a worn-down spot on the treble side from the 12th fret on down - Ed evidently insisted that the necks on the prototypes weren't "right" until they bought the machinery to do the digital copy. At any rate you know how a normal neck widens slightly as you move from the nut to the heel, on the EVH the bass side widens like normal but the treble side either winds up not widening from the 12th to the 22nd or maybe even has a slight concave curve to it. They went to a "normal" tape on the treble side when it became the Axis after Ed left.

Evidently Peavey did not to that width thing - at least on the production models. I had a Wolfgang for about a year - fall of 1999 to fall of 2000 - and it was a cool guitar; in some respects I wish I had kept it longer but at the end of the day I moved it and a kind of mediocre LP Classic to fund a PRS Custom 22 (non-10 quilt top); the PRS didn't last much more than a year either.

My only foray into the Axis world was a SuperSport model with their MM90 pickups - I had the variation with the solid rosewood neck and rosewood top (instead of a maple top).
LOL I owned a green wolfgang too! I HATED it for some reason... it was super light, which I normally thing is a "desirable quality", but for some reason here it just made it feel "cheap"? Hard to explain really...

bob493 is online  

Tags
evh , frankenstrat , frankie , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode