NGD: Genesis RG550DY - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:50 AM

Re: NGD: Genesis RG550DY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post
Oh of course. And a top loading nut too. Just keep the same flippin profile! Even Fender makes Strats will ALL SORTS of neck types they have made over the years. The reason I BOUGHT a Ibanez in the first place was because of the thin wizard. And even THEN it was a wide neck for the time. Those late 80s/90s (and even the bubinga super wizards) were awesome necks!
I cant understand why Hoshino wont listen to its fans Well, they must think they cant compete over here if they do something like that I guess. I swear if they made the same profile neck with 5 piece maple/walnut like they do with the recent super wizards, I would be down at Aikyoku in 30 minutes to order one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
The 1550 necks are a bit bulky (even compared to my 2550 neck it's a little thicker) for prestige but you also have to remember, these lower end prestiges have been taken over by the premium line and dont exist anymore. My 2550 is now "low-end"
I sanded my 1550 neck down to wizard thickness (17mm, 19mm) but it STILL feels "bigger" because it's WIDER. The originals were 56-57mm at the last fret. The new ones are 59mm.

I played a 94 RG the other day (Wanted it so bad) that my friend had with an original. It was just so much easier to play on. The frets were larger too.
post #33 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I cant understand why Hoshino wont listen to its fans Well, they must think they cant compete over here if they do something like that I guess. I swear if they made the same profile neck with 5 piece maple/walnut like they do with the recent super wizards, I would be down at Aikyoku in 30 minutes to order one
Well it would take me longer than 30m to get there, but yeah, I'd buy a NEW Ibanez again.
They should make a series of RGs/S series that have WIDER necks, and those that have the older 56/57mm necks. If they can have IRON series guitars, they can do this. How hard would it be to program a CNC machine to make a neck 2mm narrower?

I know it sounds like I am nit-picking. But 2mm makes a big difference when you don't have Steve Via hands.
post #34 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I sanded my 1550 neck down to wizard thickness (17mm, 19mm) but it STILL feels "bigger" because it's WIDER. The originals were 56-57mm at the last fret. The new ones are 59mm.

I played a 94 RG the other day (Wanted it so bad) that my friend had with an original. It was just so much easier to play on. The frets were larger too.
Ah, that's where the problem lies.

My 2550's wizard doesn't feel super wide but it is thicker than the old wizards. Luckily, it's still nice to play
post #35 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Well it would take me longer than 30m to get there, but yeah, I'd buy a NEW Ibanez again.
They should make a series of RGs/S series that have WIDER necks, and those that have the older 56/57mm necks. If they can have IRON series guitars, they can do this. How hard would it be to program a CNC machine to make a neck 2mm narrower?

I know it sounds like I am nit-picking. But 2mm makes a big difference when you don't have Steve Via hands.
That's true, but just so you know, many girls over here use Ibanez because of the thinner necks. If a Japanese schoolgirl can use her hands on one, we can too
post #36 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
That's true, but just so you know, many girls over here use Ibanez because of the thinner necks. If a Japanese schoolgirl can use her hands on one, we can too
I know I know.. I have seen them on youtube shredding all over the place while looking hot and pissing me off. ;-)

I am not saying it's not POSSIBLE. Just saying it makes it easier, and more enjoyable.

Hell I'd love an original wizard with a ebony board and a 24 3/4 scale on a S or Radius body.

THAT would rock.
post #37 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I know I know.. I have seen them on youtube shredding all over the place while looking hot and pissing me off. ;-)

I am not saying it's not POSSIBLE. Just saying it makes it easier, and more enjoyable.

Hell I'd love an original wizard with a ebony board and a 24 3/4 scale on a S or Radius body.

THAT would rock.
You know what, that gave me an awesome idea:

25th anniversary 540R They dont make the Radius anymore and it would be awesome to see them bring that back. I'd love to play one. I know in Tokyo somewhere some store has a Burnt blue 540R sitting around, need to go find it
post #38 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 AM

The only problem is, I'd want a 24f one with a AANJ and a wizard neck. They need to bring back the 540R. Joe's signature isn't the same.
post #39 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
The only problem is, I'd want a 24f one with a AANJ and a wizard neck. They need to bring back the 540R. Joe's signature isn't the same.
That sounds great to me. BTW I found that 540R BB It's about 500 USD used 1993 model. Next time I head up to tokyo, totally trying it out I just hope the guy on the heavy metal floor doesn't give me lip like he did last time
post #40 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 AM

I had a 1989 540R in Ruby Red back in 1991. I loved it... not sure why I sold it :-/
post #41 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:17 AM

Oh yeah.. it was to buy a PRS custom 24. Loved that guitar too... but it wasn't the same.
post #42 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
The business model has changed. It's no longer about competition and giving people something they love. It's more about selling gimmicks, putting joe satriani's armhair in paintjobs and pushing as many out the door as possible by way of the cheapest labor to the latest generation of dummies who never knew what a really good guitar from the 80s or 90s was.

Of course, they still do make some really nice guitars, but that's become something that only "grownups" with a lot of extra disposable income, or spoiled kids have any access to. The rest pay about 500 bucks or so to get to say they have an Ibanez...for all it's worth.

It's the typical greedy corporate cancer that ultimately happens to every company.

If you pay 4000 dollars (way too much) you get a really nice guitar.
If you pay 500 dollars, you get a guitar made by people who should just stick to making plastic dog turds.
post #43 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
putting joe satriani's armhair in paintjobs
lawlz
post #44 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:37 AM

Back in 1993 I could get a S series that was put together and finished at the LACS for less than $800.

What has happened in the last 20 years that has made Ibanez guitars DOUBLE in price?

And those guitars then were QUALITY guitars.
post #45 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Back in 1993 I could get a S series that was put together and finished at the LACS for less than $800.

What has happened in the last 20 years that has made Ibanez guitars DOUBLE in price?

And those guitars then were QUALITY guitars.
Good question. It's why i wont buy any new Ibanez guitars outside of something close to the Genesis Collection. I'm in the Used market permanently I think (outside something interesting like ATM10P).

Tags
genesis rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode