NGD: Genesis RG550DY - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

NGD: Genesis RG550DY

I was able to get a new Genesis RG550 DY. Worked out to be very easy. I talked to the store over email, paid via paypal, and got my guitar within a week. It showed up nicely setup and surprisingly in tune. Not a physical flaw.

I have a 20th DY. So I was able to compare the two of them. The Genesis is very similar to the DY in looks and feel.

The neck on the 20th is slightly more flamed and the neck on the genesis is slightly darker - could just be my two. The fret finish is also very much the same. The fret ends are not finished as nice as the other prestige's. However, they are not over hanging the fret board so I will not have to file them. This is the same for my 20th. Some people have told me that was not the case with theirs, so again I may have just been lucky. Also, the neck dimensions feel the same to me. I didn't measure them exactly. The color of the headstocks is slightly different. The Genesis is more yellow.

The bodies are identical. In fact the color looks very much the same. The only difference being the neck plates and trem covers. The trems look look and feel similar. The pickups are different as someone posted in a previous thread. Although both are V1 S1 V2 - they look to be constructed differently. The 20th pickups have hex head pole adjustments and the lead wires are visible when you look at the pickups. The Genesis has flat head screw pole adjustments. Overall they sound similar.

I'm really happy. Much better than buying a used 20th and not knowing what I was getting in terms of fret wear and neck straightness.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 09:57 PM

Re: NGD: Genesis RG550DY

One definitely looks yellow-er than the other.
Both look nice to me.
post #3 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:06 PM

Reviews: 2

Damned if I can tell which is which..............

Nice score man.......... twins are always a little more special.
post #4 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomibanez View Post
Wow, in that side by side your Genesis headstock looks more like YE (as in the recent RG350M-YE) than DY.

But nice score! I'd like to get a DY someday (to go with my 20th RFR).
post #5 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 08:14 AM

That is awesome!!! The only way I can tell is the middle pickup. Congrats!!! Neat comparison BTW!
post #6 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 AM

The headstocks on many guitars don't actually match the body, it's just that most people never take off the neck and put it right next to the body. In my experience, the headstock on neons is usually lighter than the body. That looks to be the case here.

The headstock on the Genesis looks more like "correct" DY to me. But "correct" is always a matter of debate with DY guitars (and SK) because the tint of the clearcoat has such a dramatic effect on what the paint ends up looking like.

It's also amazingly hard to photograph. I've almost always had to try and color correct the images to make them appear like they do in person.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 06:22 PM.
post #7 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 08:22 AM

Do the Genesis guitars have the oldschool neck widths? Or are they like the new "Wizards" that are 2mm wider?
post #8 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post
Do the Genesis guitars have the oldschool neck widths? Or are they like the new "Wizards" that are 2mm wider?
New necks, they used they standard prestige Super Wizard, not the old school wizard.
post #9 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 08:31 AM

Thumbs down Re: NGD: Genesis RG550DY

Boooooooo
post #10 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post
Boooooooo
Dude, you haven't played one, dont knock it. The new necks on the old style bodies are actually really nice. I like my old 550 and 560 more than the GCs of course but they are SOLID guitars and play REALLY well. They are on par with my 2550 and my 2550 cost me like almost 500 USD more than them.
post #11 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 AM

The only thing that I find better about the oldschool wizard is the nicer maple most of them wee made with and the square heel seems to make the tone stronger. But even at that rate it's a pretty subtle difference. The newer necks are much better and more durable.

In reference to the headstock colors not matching the body always....the clearcoat on tehe headstock is a lot thinner than the body. This is likely a factor.
post #12 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Cool Re: NGD: Genesis RG550DY

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
In reference to the headstock colors not matching the body always....the clearcoat on tehe headstock is a lot thinner than the body. This is likely a factor.
Yes, that's a big part of it. I had an SK that had been kept in a case it's whole life and had absolutely zero fade. But unfortunately the clear on the body had yellowed somewhat, which made the guitar slightly orangeish. But the headstock with the much thinner clear was absolutely perfect.

My current SK has some minor fade but no yellowing, so it's much more pink.
post #13 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Dude, you haven't played one, dont knock it. The new necks on the old style bodies are actually really nice. I like my old 550 and 560 more than the GCs of course but they are SOLID guitars and play REALLY well. They are on par with my 2550 and my 2550 cost me like almost 500 USD more than them.
I've played all the necks. I am not saying they are BAD NECKS, but I like the original wizard profiles. I hate that Ibanez calls all their necks "wizards" when none of them are anything like the original.

And from what I've read on this forum, and other forums, I am not the only one that has issues with this. It would be nice for Ibanez to offer such a neck again. The demand is surely there. They HAVE came a long way since they started making them thicker AND wider. Now they are just as thin as the original, but they are still wider. Someone that doesn't have HUGE fingers can find a FB that's 2mm wider a bit more cumbersome than one a bit narrower.

Again, not knocking the current necks. I just wish Ibanez would give us choices again.
post #14 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Newer DY's are definitely more neon colored then the older ones - I have a DY S and it looks yellow compared to these.

New necks feel wider - but my original wizards are rosewood fretboards. So it's not a one for one comparison. I like both. New ones are super stable and the finish just feels great.
post #15 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Yes, that's a big part of it. I had an SK that had been kept in a case it's whole life and had absolutely zero fade. But unfortunately the clear on the body had yellowed somewhat, which made the guitar slightly orangeish. But the headstock with the much thinner clear was absolutely perfect.

My current SK has some minor fade but no yellowing, so it's much more pink.
my 550 did that as well. The color is a lot more vivid on the headstock than the body. Kind of a shame. I am unsure if a re-sand and buff will do anything either. the earlier painted rg guitars have a LOT of clear on them.

Tags
genesis rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode