NGD: Genesis series RG550RFR - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

NGD: Genesis series RG550RFR

Apologies for the small picture, I'm posting this from work and needed to get it down small enough to attach. It's not like you can really photograph these things anyway - the headstock is as close to the "true" color as I could get, but the rest of it is so totally blown out that it almost looks pastel. This was my iPhone - I did a couple quick test shots with my Nikon DSLR, and it was coming out solid orange. Insane. Either way, the headstock is pretty true to life, in this shot.

Anyway, this is a 2013 Genesis series reissue RG550RFR, used but in more or less flawless condition. I literally picked this up from the post office this morning before heading in to work, but it showed up from Ishibashi in Japan in a matter of days (The order was finalized on Saturday, and they tried to deliver it last night, Tuesday, but I wasn't there to sign). I've barely got to play it so far, but once I dial in the setup a little (it's pretty good, but strung up with 9s and I'm a 10s guy - otherwise, the biggest issue was the prior owner seems to hate output, and had the humbuckers screwed all the way down flush and, in the case of the neck, below the pickguard).

I've logged about 10 minutes of playtime, but it sounds great, somewhat to my surprise (again - 9s, and the stock V-series pickups), and very much to my relief. This has always been one of my "white whale" guitars and I got it at a fair price so I was fine with it showing up as toneless eye candy, but the tone is actually pretty beastly. I'm thinking of throwing in a set of green Breeds for maximum visual carnage, but it really sounds pretty good as it is.

The flamed maple fretboard - luck of the draw, not a formal spec - was also a very nice surprise.

Last edited by Drew; 08-09-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:30 PM

Re: NGD: Genesis series RG550RFR

Wow... thats gorgeous! Congrats on a nice guitar to add to the family, such a killer classic look. You'll have to do a sound test video if you swap out the pickups.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:02 PM

Looks killer. Makes me think that I need to get a guitar painted like this. I have an RG1560JB and while I love that color, it's just the absolute worst with fingerprints.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

What do you guys think, green or pink pickups?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 06:04 PM

Reviews: 21

Man, if I had to do it all over again I'd leave the V2 in the bridge. I loved how it sounded but switched it out. Then when I put the V2 back in I couldn't get rid of a slight buzz. Ultimately fixed it by putting Evos in. I was considering white or creme but though the black still looks best. There's lots of pics on the net you can find with that guitar having different pickup colors; green and pink notably I think. I wouldn't go that route but that's me.
Congrats on that sweet guitar!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I'll go with pink or yellow sets.

Anyway, congrats on your new guitar, and congrats again for having it flawless.
I checked out 2 or 3 genesis RG 570 at the store back then, and none of them is flawless.
The last one I saw was having neck pocket alligment problem, and the end/edge of the fretboard is like rough cut. the tone knob was stuck.
I don't know how things like this can passed the qc...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Really? Odd. I haven't found any issues with this one yet - cosmetically it seems perfect, and no functional problems yet.

And, let's be honest with ourselves - it's not like every single 550 made in 1987 was absolutely perfect, either. Hindsight is a little selective sometimes.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I would honestly just keep black pups, the guitar looks stunning as it is.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
I would honestly just keep black pups, the guitar looks stunning as it is.
The hell with that. My Suhr Modern is my "tasteful" shredding guitar. This one is the obnoxiously over the top counterpoint!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 05:52 PM

Reviews: 120

Fluro green pickups and Yellow knobs/switch tip for sure!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:52 PM

If you go green I say green/black zebra with a green middle like a GMC. Or blue the same way.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

I'm really impressed by just how not-awful the stock pickups are, by the way - it's been forever since I've played a V1-V2 set, and really they're totally useable. I think we all, and I include myself here, have been exaggerating how bad they are for years.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
How about a combo of two or three colors? That's a great looking guitar. Are you going to do full JEM mod with knobs and handle?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 11:22 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
I'm really impressed by just how not-awful the stock pickups are, by the way - it's been forever since I've played a V1-V2 set, and really they're totally useable. I think we all, and I include myself here, have been exaggerating how bad they are for years.
You'll never hear me say a bad word about the V1-V2's....... great pups...

IMO, putting any color pickups on an RFR, other than black or grey, is a mistake. LonePhantom had a green pup in his. As much as I liked his guitar, I thought the green detracted from the RFR. The colors seemed to be competing for attention instead of complimenting each other.

Just my .02 cents........I think grey bobbin USA's would be about the only thing I'd consider taking the V's out for.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:40 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
I so regret ever taking mine out. I initially put in an EVH Frankenstein in the bridge and while it was cool I liked the V2 better. I couldn't for the life of me get it to sound the same after putting it back. I even took it to a tech and they couldn't fix the buzz. Maybe because the wiring is thinner on the V2. I don't know. I fixed it myself by putting in an Evo set but I would still prefer the V1/V2 combo.

Tags
rfr , rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode