ngd! gibson explorer - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

ngd! gibson explorer

So after months and months of searching for the "perfect" metal guitar. Months of spending far too much time scouring craigslist: chattanooga, knoxville, nashville, atlanta, birmingham, refreshing the classifieds on jemsite, jaxed, sevenstring.org and scrolling through hundreds of guitars on 3bay. MONTHS of comparing every fixed bridge and set neck esp, ibanez, schecter, prs, gibson, hamer and les paul copy you can think of over and over and over and over and over again....

I said **** it and impulse bought a new Gibson Explorer at Guitar Center. It's a freaking beast. I'm in lust.

It sounds absolutely amazing through my dual rectifier (which I could write a whole separate post about, and just might here in the near future, the new reborn dual recs are totally fantastic). I just got it home a little over an hour ago, and I don't really like to crank the thing up to awesome this late, but even at sensible evening volume it just sings. It's so much easier to palm-mute machine gun style riffs and down stroke on this thing. I never really thought I'd find a guitar that was easier to play than an Ibanez, but for heavy rhythm this guitar smokes my RG2550. It balances perfectly on a strap and I can comfortably sling it lower than I ever have my ibanez.

I also picked up an Ibanez TS9 to fill a hole on my pedalboard, I'll post some thoughts on it when I've had the opportunity to really crank it. At lower volume it lends kind of a liquidy "even-ness" to the orange channel on the rectifier, and a bit of feedback. Haven't had a lot of time to twiddle the knobs tho.

I'm so excited !

Last edited by Bahamut; 12-27-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:55 PM

Re: ngd! gibson explorer

Congrats man! Pics?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

I can't seem to get the pics to load =( stupid phone..
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:12 PM

one of the best guitars ever made. not diggin the stock 500t, i have mine loaded with Miracle Man and EMg's. Good choice
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:54 PM

Great choice!!!! Explorers are beasts.... I have one that was made in 1983, though it is not the model 83 with the knobs in the triangular pattern, rather like a 76' they are in a straight line. Can't beat em IMO.

Congrats on your NGD!!!!

hotrod
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

There she is! Theres a little ding on the front of the guitar by the bridge, and a chip out of the back of the headstock.. but it doesn't bother me much. Nothings perfect! I'm seeing a new pickguard in its immediate future, and maybe an 81/60 combo a little further out.

What a great guitar. Should've bought one a long time ago.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 PM

Reviews: 11

Only gibson Id ever have eyes for it, very stylish and cool guitar man! IM JEALOUS!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:42 PM

Congrats on the Explorer, they are great guitars. I have a Gibson gothic explorer I bought new in 2000 and still love it even today.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 AM

Welcome to the club. Mine is from 1981 and has EMG 81 & 85 in it. I agree, they're great for flat out picking. Enjoy.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
So after months and months of searching . . .

I said **** it and impulse bought a new Gibson Explorer at Guitar Center.

. . .
Ha ha ha! Hilarious! What a great story. Hope you enjoy the guitar, sounds like you will.

Peace

Mike
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Hope you enjoy the guitar, sounds like you will.

Peace

Mike

And if not i will buy it in 2 month for a deeply discounted price
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 12:08 PM

Mmmmmm. Explorer.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Ha ha ha! Hilarious! What a great story. Hope you enjoy the guitar, sounds like you will.

Peace

Mike

Seriously shopping was getting tedious!! I was sitting in front of the damn computer looking for a deal mpre than I was playing, and this is never good. Its a great feeling tho. Short of a few upgrades I wanna make to this one... I want for nothing. My rig is complete. Finally!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 PM

i say do something new that most people dont do to exploeres; black hardware w/ SD blackouts. how can it get more metal? but i really love those things. if they made one thats 24 frets thats still usa made and DOESNT have that ugly cutaway that they put on the epi. 24 fret explorers, ill buy it.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
I just got it home a little over an hour ago, and I don't really like to crank the thing up to awesome this late

probably my favorite post here in a while.

Tags
explorer , gibson , mesa , ts9

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode