NGD - Hardtail Content - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 15
NGD - Hardtail Content

UK Evilbay produced a brace of hardtails this week. I thought the comparison might be interesting.

Ibanez SZ360 vs PRS SE Custom 22 Stoptail

The hardware :

The headstocks :

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Re: NGD - Hardtail Content

The fretboards :

The backs :

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:35 PM

Reviews: 11

Hey, that's really nice looking one.. I might have to buy one of these white ones someday.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

So they're both Les Paul pretenders, but how do they stack up? Well, they're both big, chunky, pieces of kit. The SZ is a smidge Liberace to look at, but only a smidge.

The SZ is a seriously heavy piece of wood, and it shows when you play it. It has sustain for days and the Ibanez/Duncan pickups have got gorgeous harmonics all over the place.

The SE is also chunky in construction but it feels like a lightweight in comparison to the SZ. Tone-wise, it punches above its weight but it has a more one-dimensional sound compared to the SZ.

Both have a similar feel to their necks. You might think that the painted/laquered finishes would make for a slow neck but they really don't get in the way. OK, so they're not the way to go for a shredder but they don't feel like a baseball bat either.

The frets on the SZ have excessively sharp ends, which is in stark contrast to the quality finish of everything else on the guitar. By contrast, the SE doesn't do anything odd to stop you in your tracks when you're playing.

In summary, a decent pair of hardtails for a good price. They're not going to be your first port of call for a shredder guitar but the blues is strong with both of them and either of them make a great noise for rhythm playing. Worth a look.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 01:02 PM

I was taking a look at that PRS custom 22 and I learned that its a maple veneer. Not sure why but those always put me off. Still looks really sleek, and probably sounds great but I'm not one for veneers
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I was taking a look at that PRS custom 22 and I learned that its a maple veneer. Not sure why but those always put me off. Still looks really sleek, and probably sounds great but I'm not one for veneers
If it's got a figured top and it's reasonably priced, it's a veneer.

Still sounds good.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:26 PM

Reviews: 4

what exactly is all the hating on veneers for, I've never understood that??
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Bought at the same time but arriving a little later than the other two, we have a 2003 NDM1 :

OK, so the duct tape (yep, it actually seems to be real duct tape) finish is a gimmick, and the fact that they tried to exaggerate the texture by spraying it black then wiping it back off again makes it look even more fake, but look beyond that stuff.

This is one comfy guitar. No sharp edges anywhere, soft touch finish (there's some sort of satin lacquer over the tape) and a chunky, but very playable, neck.

The NDM1 plays great, sounds great. The SZ sounds fantastic but it's very heavy and a little bit sterile to play. The SE is a bit, I don't know, meh. It's nice and solid so I'm sure that some new pickups would have it singing, but it doesn't do anything to make me want to spend more money on it. The NDM1 feels like a guitar you had for ages. As soon as you pick it up it feels like it belongs in your hands.

Swapped the (non-original) knobs it came with for the worn out, nasty-looking set I took off a well-used RGT. Now I'm trying to resist the temptation to swap out the pickups (INF-somethings?) for some distressed Bareknuckle Warpigs :

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/images/11_1.jpg
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Picked up a very good condition Squier 51 to join the hardtail collection :

Another decent instrument. The thing that looks like a tone control is the rotary pickup selector, and the volume pot is push pull to split the humbucker. Everything's solid and well put together

I can see why these things have got a bit of a cult following. Plays great - typical vintage neck and bright tone but it's great fun to play. Need to resist modifying it...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 AM

Reviews: 2

the NDM-1 comes with Inf's? But it's was a signature guitar?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
the NDM-1 comes with Inf's? But it's was a signature guitar?
It's still a budget model, though, really. They blew the pickup money on all that duct tape.

Reminds me, I need to get some of those Bare Knuckles...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 04:41 PM

I'd assume the SE would smoke the SZ...better quality control.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE View Post
UK Evilbay produced a brace of hardtails this week. I thought the comparison might be interesting.

Ibanez SZ360 vs PRS SE Custom 22 Stoptail

Nice score. I've got a white SZ as well.

BTW, just to correct you on the model number thats a SZ320EX that you've got there.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
BTW, just to correct you on the model number thats a SZ320EX that you've got there.
Oops, typo. Well spotted.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agramal View Post
I'd assume the SE would smoke the SZ...better quality control.
Judging by the serial number of the SZ (W-prefix), they were actually made in the same factory.

Tags
ngd , prs se , sz360

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode