NGD: Ibanez Art Content - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

NGD: Ibanez Art Content

For Guitar pr0n and review, see lower!!

A bit of history first!

I was digging for an LP shaped guitars since a while, for the scale, for the look, for the different feel on it, for diversity, etc.!

So, I tried some here and there, an ESP Eclipse, some Epiphones , some LTD EC-1000, etc. I was only deceived every time, didnít feel quite good, even for the Eclipse wich, I tought, would be a killer for my particular taste (lookwise and soundwise, being more of a metal/hardrock player) and, knowing the reputation of the higher end ESP compared to the LTD. IMHO, I donít see any real difference in my taste between an Eclipse and an EC-1000.
Same goes for the epiphones, gibsons, didnít felt right, so I kinda given up on this

Time went by and I got my hands on a magnificent LTD MH301 with EMGís 81, plays great and sounds is right on what I need! Feels great as far as vibration and sound but itís not quite there as far as the action and the playability. Still, miles ahead from the Schecter I had and from the custom SuperstratÖ Getting there but not quite there yet!

I ended up trading my custom for an Ibanez RG350. Sound is so-so, vibration is better than my custom but the playabilityÖ Oh lawd! Weíre there bro! We are there!

So, I searched toughly on the Ibanez website and stumbled upon the Art100DX, looking at the specs I see itís pretty close to the MH I got, Mahogany body which I like pretty much, the neck is still thicker than standard Wizard but still thinner than the LTD. Must try this one out!

So, I went out to the biggest Ibanez reseller close to here (Richard Gendrault) and hoped to find one there. Looked on the wall but, no luck  DarnÖ Before I got out, I asked a salesmen and, lookadat! One right here, in a guitar stand I didnít see!

Got to play it, woah! That axe feels like it needs to feel! Plays great and feels great! As for the sound, well, you canít expect much from Ibanezís OEM pickup. Not a problem since I know Iíll swap them eventually!

Since I didnít have the space for it at home yet, I had to restrain myself from buying her on the spotÖ So I got to my local reseller (Multi Musique), ordered her up and asked my dude there to hold it until I moved on my new home, 3 months from then.

Long story short, I had to wait 3 months before getting my hands on my own ART

Guitar Review
Action
The action is pretty low, as you would expect from an Ibanez, plays great and reacts great. Taping, legato run, hammer on / pull offs are what you would expect from a good quality instrument, which is kind of a surprise coming from an instrument of this price tag!

Quality
Well, overall itís a great quality, everything feels strong and of a good level. Only downer I got, she buzz when I fret the Highest string on the first fret. Gotta get this checked out. I tried lifting the bridge, it helps but still at 2mm on last fret, it does buzz so the issue is somewhere else (I wonít lift it past 2mm since it will compromise playability). I assume one fret is not leveled properly. Thatís one of the reason I didnít buy online, since you donít have a qualified technician to get back at, youíll have to deal with little issue like this yourself!

Feels and sound
Well, as far as the feeling goes, it vibrates pretty well and the wood seems to respond in a real good manner! But as far as the pickup goes, donít expect to get ďgreatĒ sound from a stock Ibanez Pickup. Honestly I think they put this kind of PU there so that they wonít higher the price and they know most of us will end up swaping them. So I kind of like the idea that the amount payed goes into the quality of the instrument rather than a pickup that wonít necessarily serve your interest.
(NOTE: I will try to do a youtube review with sound bites, to be posted later)

Look:
Well, honestly, itís pretty good looking! LP shaped but kind of an aggressive look, more than standard LP. Also, Canadian version has standard inlays rather than the tribal on the 12th, which is better IMHO!
The white has a black lining and the black has a white lining, gives it a little crunch!

Specs:
24.75 scale
Mahogany body
Mahogany set-in neck
Medium frets
ART-2 bridge and tailpiece (not the Gibraltar for the Canadian version)
Pickup: ACH1S/ACH2-S

Neck specs can be found on the Ibanez website, but itís thicker than Wizard, but thinner than most out there (LTD, for instance, which are fairly thin on an MH)

Conclusion:
Great instrument for a great price, only downer is the pickup.
If you intend to buy it online, get (or make) a proper setup after, an high action on an Ibanez is a ďcrimeĒ IMHO!

Guitar Pr0n

And, a crappy family shot taken with my cellphone late with bad lightings!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 AM

Re: NGD: Ibanez Art Content

Second from left is an RG350DX with black pickguard?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Yep! Pickgard was just painted for a test. Test was conclusive so it will either be changed for an HH or sanded and painted black.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 01:26 PM

Reviews: 13

This is classy!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 02:02 PM

Reviews: 10

Sounds like you made a good choice. I love white guitars (see avatar pic ;o) and that is a beauty - congrats man!! btw - where in Canada are you?

Tags
art100 , art100dx , artist

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode