NGD: Ibanez Pro Line Series (2 of them!) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

NGD: Ibanez Pro Line Series (2 of them!)

I know there are bunch of older threads here about the Pro Line series. I didn't want to revive a 5 year old thread, so I thought I would start a new one.

I had a parts guitar that consisted of a Radius 540R body with original Edge in a Hum/Single/Hum configuration. This guitar had a JS1000 neck on it that I loved, but hated how small the frets were.
I've had a love/hate relationship with this guitar since I put it together. Mostly due to my ever growing dislike of basswood bodied guitars. I love their clean tones, but the neck pickup tones with gobs of distortion just seem too muddy for me.

A friend came over today to have me install some FU blocks on a couple of his guitars. He's been eying my 540/JS guitar for weeks. He offered 2 guitars and some cash for it. At 1st, I didn't want to do the trade, but I think I came out way ahead.
I got a Pro Line PL1770 in Metallic Copper and a PL2550 (neck through) in Cherry Ice finish. The pink metallic Cherry Ice almost unsold me though. It's just not a color that I would even consider buying.

Here's a couple of pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Re: NGD: Ibanez Pro Line Series (2 of them!)

I have seen several pictures of these in Google searches. Some guys used different mounting rings to allow them to get rid of the wimpy stock pickups. Anybody know where to get the mounting ring adapters?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 AM

Bastard, that is all . Both look to be in great shape. Man, Cherry Ice is like the best colour! I dream of a 2660 in that.

I also think your mate got the stick end of things by letting these two beauties (and cash!?) go for a parts guitar. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets trade remorse . You win. These were the Prestige equivalent in their day and continue to be underrated - great build quality and versatility with the switching. I hate it when people part them out on eBay!

Not sure what you mean by mounting ring adapters, do you mean the brackets which sit in the single coil cavities of the 2550? On the 1770, aftermarket pups will drop right in, you'll just have to drill a centre hole for the bridge pu on the bass side. On the 2550, however, vintage style single coils won't fit the guitar because it's not routed for pups with a flange for the wires coming off them – both sides of the route are parallel to one another. But various modern voiced pups like stacked or rail Duncans and DiMarzios will fit. The stock single coil brackets for the 2550 are devilishly difficult to find as aftermarket parts, and I don't know if you could get equivalents...

I have a gold 1770; didn't mind the stock pups (humbucker is good, singles bit meh) but not as versatile (better for higher gain, I found), or good sounding on some pu combinations. Duncans and a new scratchplate completed the guitar.

Fwiw, the 1770 is routed HHH, so you can do other pu combos, but you'd have to make a new scratchplate.

Anyway, welcome to the Proline club .

Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 01-20-2013 at 11:05 AM.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

He really wanted that guitar! It looked almost identical to the JS1000 that I sold him last month and he is now addicted to the sculpted JS/Radius style body. Now his 20 Jems will just sit in the closet.......

This ebay auction shows the ring I'm asking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBANEZ-PROLI...p2047675.l2557

I would love to be able to use a Hot Rails in the neck of my guitar. The singles are just not very powerful. They sound pretty good for cleans though.

If I keep it, I'm thinking about routing the tremolo in too. Not being able to pull up on an Edge is like only driving in reverse for me.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 02:51 PM

Reviews: 1

That might be my old PL1770. I sold it to a guy in Hawaii. Nice guitar. Pretty hefty and the ebony board was really nice and smooth to play on. Plus the switching gives you more choices than a 5-way switch.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
That might be my old PL1770. I sold it to a guy in Hawaii. Nice guitar. Pretty hefty and the ebony board was really nice and smooth to play on. Plus the switching gives you more choices than a 5-way switch.
It truly is a small world!
What modern IBZ neck is similar to the 2550?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 AM

^^ I don't know whether there are any necks on current Ibanez guitars that resemble the Proline neck. The closest thing in the past was the Radius Ultra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsta-Tone View Post
He really wanted that guitar! It looked almost identical to the JS1000 that I sold him last month and he is now addicted to the sculpted JS/Radius style body. Now his 20 Jems will just sit in the closet.......

This ebay auction shows the ring I'm asking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBANEZ-PROLI...p2047675.l2557

I would love to be able to use a Hot Rails in the neck of my guitar. The singles are just not very powerful. They sound pretty good for cleans though.

If I keep it, I'm thinking about routing the tremolo in too. Not being able to pull up on an Edge is like only driving in reverse for me.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Prolines are some of the best guitars Ibanez made, imo, but that's just me.

I see. I don't know where you could get a ring like that; I do think that many aftermarket pups (like a Hot Rails) should be able to fit into the stock Ibanez brackets.

Routing the trem - easier on the 1770, because you can take the neck off and level the pocket to compensate for the trem being lowered into the body. On a 2550 you've got a fixed neck angle, so you wouldn't be able to lower the bridge.

Here's mine. I have SSL2 neck/mid and 59/C bridge - killer combo. Bit of a basket case when I got it - broken scratchplate, trashed pots, springs so stiff you could tow a car comfortably with them. She still needs a fret dress but makes wonderful noise; great Strat and humbucker sounds in one axe.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 02:51 AM

Congrat's & Ashurbanipal that yellowish/gold 1 is sweet!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Prolines are some of the best guitars Ibanez made, imo, but that's just me.
I can't believe that both of them look as good as they do for being 26 years old! Perfect age for a woman (give or take a few years), but most Les Pauls & Strats I've seen this age are beat to hell. The binding still looks great, plenty of meat left on the frets, etc.. They really seem to be well built. Plus, the bodies are much more sleek than my Strat!

Quote:
I see. I don't know where you could get a ring like that; I do think that many aftermarket pups (like a Hot Rails) should be able to fit into the stock Ibanez brackets.
Yeah, it looks like EMG's or Lace Sensors will fit, but that's about it.

Quote:
Routing the trem - easier on the 1770, because you can take the neck off and level the pocket to compensate for the trem being lowered into the body. On a 2550 you've got a fixed neck angle, so you wouldn't be able to lower the bridge.
I think on the 2550, I would just do an up-route. As it is, the trem only goes up about a step and a half. Not bad, but not enough.

Quote:
Here's mine. I have SSL2 neck/mid and 59/C bridge - killer combo. Bit of a basket case when I got it - broken scratchplate, trashed pots, springs so stiff you could tow a car comfortably with them. She still needs a fret dress but makes wonderful noise; great Strat and humbucker sounds in one axe
That looks really sweet! I like that color a lot more than the Cherry Ice!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty571 View Post
Congrat's & Ashurbanipal that yellowish/gold 1 is sweet!
Thanks!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

I have a question that I forgot to ask....
On the 2550, the high E string is dangerously close to the edge of the fretboard. Most notes played above the 6th fret sound terrible because the string falls off the fretboard.
What can I do about this? I can't simply adjust the neck like a bolt on.
It looks like if I were to move the nut over a little, this would be fixed. Do you think there is enough slop in the holes to loosen the bolts, slide the nut over and then re-tighten them?
If not, is it ok to drill the holes out slightly larger?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM

Well done man, those are 2 great guitars to own. The PL2550 in that finish was possibly the first Ibanez ever to really catch my eye way back in the 80's. I still think it looks amazing.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 PM

Reviews: 4
Talking Re: NGD: Ibanez Pro Line Series (2 of them!)

That Cherry Ice is sexy. I have an '85 RG 410 Roadstar in Cherry Ice!!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:
I can't believe that both of them look as good as they do for being 26 years old! Perfect age for a woman (give or take a few years), but most Les Pauls & Strats I've seen this age are beat to hell. The binding still looks great, plenty of meat left on the frets, etc.. They really seem to be well built. Plus, the bodies are much more sleek than my Strat!

Yeah, it looks like EMG's or Lace Sensors will fit, but that's about it.

I think on the 2550, I would just do an up-route. As it is, the trem only goes up about a step and a half. Not bad, but not enough.

That looks really sweet! I like that color a lot more than the Cherry Ice!
Yeah, I've seen that a lot with these old Ibz. They're pushing 30 but have hardly any miles on them. I think a lot of people bought them at the height of the widdle craze, which petered out in the 90s, so many of these guitars went into wardrobes and under beds because they were no longer 'cool' with their eye squinting finishes and Floyds. Prolines were made for a short time and nobody famous used them, so they've become sleepers.

The neck, fyi, is a five piece maple/walnut sandwich, just like on more recent neck through RGs. One of the things mine impressed me with when it arrived was the build quality of the neck and binding.

I think the body is a tad smaller than a Fender, so it won't fit so snug in a Strat case. I'm often on the lookout for chainsaw cases.

I don't know much about DiMarzio (someone here had to carve out their pinky 2550 to get a Chopper in), but Duncan Classic/Custom Stack, Duckbucker, Hot/Cool Rails, and true single coils like newer SSL3, and SSL4, 5, 6, 7 should fit, because they don't have the flange.

The gold has gotten a little more muted warmth over the years; under the scratchplate it's more yellow. The clearcoat is tinted to give it the goldiness.

Quote:
I have a question that I forgot to ask....
On the 2550, the high E string is dangerously close to the edge of the fretboard. Most notes played above the 6th fret sound terrible because the string falls off the fretboard.
What can I do about this? I can't simply adjust the neck like a bolt on.
It looks like if I were to move the nut over a little, this would be fixed. Do you think there is enough slop in the holes to loosen the bolts, slide the nut over and then re-tighten them?
If not, is it ok to drill the holes out slightly larger?
Hmm, try moving the nut to the left, there should be a little room to play. I'd be a bit leery of widening the holes for the bolts, because the truss rod cavity sits in the middle, so there's not much wood left or room for error.

If it can't be fixed like that, the only choice would be to relocate the trem studs. Occasionally they're drilled a bit off, unfortunately. Friday afternoon guitar?

Or you can take it to a tech and get a professional opinion.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hmm, try moving the nut to the left, there should be a little room to play. I'd be a bit leery of widening the holes for the bolts, because the truss rod cavity sits in the middle, so there's not much wood left or room for error.

If it can't be fixed like that, the only choice would be to relocate the trem studs. Occasionally they're drilled a bit off, unfortunately. Friday afternoon guitar?

Or you can take it to a tech and get a professional opinion.
I took the tremolo off and adjusted the knife edge. It seemed to really help a lot. I think it has a little to do with the tremolo spacing and the width of the neck at the 22nd fret. I looked at the 1770, and both E strings are pretty close to the edge of the fretboard.

There is a tiny amount of bow in the 2550 neck, but my old Strat has about the same amount.

Last edited by Monsta-Tone; 01-23-2013 at 04:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode