NGD: Ibanez S FGM400BB - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

NGD: Ibanez S FGM400BB

Santa came a day early. The FGM arrived today and I gave it a quick once-over. The guitar has more wear than the seller let on but NOT to the point where I'm extremely disappointed and most, if I choose to, can be fixed without a lot of drama.

There were two main spots in the photos detailing paint removal down to the wood so I knew about those. There are one or two other spots, on top of the bottom horn and at the tip of the headstock (not unusual there). Other than that, the back trem cover was missing (easy to replace with a normal S cover but not an FGM) and the screw for the strap button on the horn just sits and spins. There's paint removed inside the spring cavity too, on the edge.

The neck looks to be in great shape. I didn't examine all the frets in great detail but it appears that it will not need a fret job. No divots. Back of the neck looks mint and all of the hardware is in good shape with the exception of the pickups which have corrosion on the buttons/blades. I think most of that will clean up although the blades are black. Not sure how I'll "restore" those easily just yet.

I would like your thoughts on whether or not to restore it. Now by restore I'm not saying in "mint" condition. I'd like to play the thing. Right now anyone on thegearpage.net would say it's a light relic. Hell, I just saw a post of someone who'd purchased a NEW Suhr 80's retro (probably cost north of $3000) and had it relic'd. I just don't understand that whole movement at all. I try to keep all my guitars in really good condition. If they have wear from play, so be it. I'm not a fan of dings and dents.

Some of the paint removal is down to the wood and thus, the wood is exposed to the elements. This worries me a bit long term.

At the very least, it's coming apart for a good clean. What do you guys think? Want to see some high res stuff NOW or after it's cleaned up? I can bring it into the studio quick and shoot some images. Some iPhone pics:

I didn't color correct this one in Photoshop before uploading. Color is pretty off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 01:05 PM

Re: NGD: Ibanez S FGM400BB

Congrats!

From these photo's rather than color it looks like the pickups show the guitar "old".

Obviously its a nice instrumant, hardware looks good so with paint and cleaning I'm sure it will look as good as it plays
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM

Reviews: 15

Daddy likey!! For the exposed parts, maybe hit them with some tung oil to seal it up.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

That's a good idea...right now I'm leaning towards having the paint repaired if that's even possible.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 04:59 PM

Reviews: 120

Nice axe! Don't worry about the bumps and stuff, all part of the mojo!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

True and I know it came from playing and wan't a faux relic. I guess that'll mean less time out of my possession and more playing time. Going to clean her up tonight and I'll shoot photos as she sits tomorrow.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:14 PM

Reviews: 9

Looks damn good as is and you will forget about the bumps soon if it plays good. Assuming this is polyu just give the bare wood a bit of a touch up with polyu if your worried. That being said unless your going to sweat all over it every night or playing the rain I doubt I will ever become a bigger problem.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

About to haul it into the studio for some better photos. I spent about four hours cleaning the guitar last night (it needed it!). I did some measurements and the tremolo cavity is indeed 4mm deeper than a standard S both where the posts screw in and the bottom where the tail of the tremolo sits. I forgot to measure the pickup cavity desk but I'll do that when I get a chance.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

I asked the question of Bill over on the Ibby forum but last night while cleaning, I noticed the nut is not all the way against the fret board. I know sometimes there's a legitimate reason to do this but for the life of me, can't remember why. It played fine last night after a quick tune with the fine tuners. I didn't check intonation. What do you guys think? I'm thinking it's not the right nut. Don't have the tools here at work to loosen everything and see if it'll slide down.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

More photos, excuse the lack of setup in some of the photos. I didn't get it back together until late last night and I didn't have time to set the trem up properly.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

A few iPhone photos from last night during disassembly.

Unaltered electronically. All original!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Reviews: 9

Honestly the only reason I can think of poor craftsmanship. But there maybe another reason that I am not aware of. In order for the nut to be in this position it pretty much means one of two things: either the fretboard was cut short of the nut is located in the wrong place. There is a specific distance based on scale length that determine the nut placement. Stewmac has an online calculator/ruler that will give you that info. On a 25.5" scale instrument that distance should be 1.431". Anything else will cause intonation problems.

Could it be that the normal holes where worn so someone relocated them? Check the measurement.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Tags
400 , fgm , gambale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode