NGD: Ibanez S2120x AV - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

NGD: Ibanez S2120x AV

Had this for a while, but never got around to posting pics...
So here it is a 2002 S2120x with the Double Lo Pro Edge bridge for some piezo fun!!
It now has a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF set in zebra!! Love the look and they really sound great in this. Tried a Tone Zone at first but it did not sound right for this one (and I love the TZ in my RG550)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Re: NGD: Ibanez S2120x AV

Some more thoughts on this: Nice warm and sustaining unplugged tone (like most S540 series I had before), which pairs perfectly with the PAFs both clean and distorted. Clean and overdriven they sound really like I thought they would, but it was at high gain that they pleasently surprised me!!

The L.R. Baggs piezo sounds really convincing, it seems to be slightly better than the Graphtech I had on a PRS, while the added bonus of the concentric bass/treble tone pot really helps shaping the tone, especially when you want to blend the electric and piezo sound.

I always loved the S series and this is the do it all one for me. I thought I would not get along with the lack of inlays, but finally it is not that big of an issue. Luckily the side dots are enough.

One thing that I don't really like is that the magnetic volume is to close to the picking hand, which takes some getting used to, but I understand that it was already a difficoult task to include all these controls in the slim S body! The other mod that is planned are some creme Strat style knobs (especially for the mag volume) the pickups are very responsive to the volume control, cleaning up very nicely, and I would like to see if I am on 5 or 7 on the volume control. The pickups can go from Malcom Young rhythm to Joe Bonamassa lead with the volume pot without touching the amp!!

Oh and it is really mirror shiny!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 08:09 AM

Stunning looking guitar Pal!

Glad to here its sounds as good as it looks.

Enjoy, all the best.

RG BARGIE
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 10:29 AM

Beautiful guitar Jazz, man i wish they would release more models with piezo, i'd love to own one.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 03:29 PM

Reviews: 2

Beautiful guitar man.....I REALLY like it!

I have to say though, I'd hate to be the sucker that has to wire that thing....LOL
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 04:25 PM

Reviews: 10

wow, what a beautiful guitar!!! sounds like you are getting a nice variety of tones too...I have a set of the Paf 36th pups in one of my RGs and they are nice pups. that is gorgeous guitar man - congrats!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Beautiful guitar man.....I REALLY like it!

I have to say though, I'd hate to be the sucker that has to wire that thing....LOL
LOL... At the begging I was a bit scared as well, but when I took a closer look at the wiring diagram it was not that hard... I finally wired the 36th Pafs myself without issues!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:21 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
LOL... At the begging I was a bit scared as well, but when I took a closer look at the wiring diagram it was not that hard... I finally wired the 36th Pafs myself without issues!
LOL.... that settles it- you jump out of the plane first, I'll follow you!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 09:30 PM

Reviews: 13

The crowded corner looks cool.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 07:55 AM

You don't ever hit that volume knob while strumming? That would annoy the crap out of me. If you just showed a close up of the controls I'd think I were looking at a parker fly!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Yeap... It is not the best place in the world for the volume knob.
It certainly needs some getting used to... (see the second post I made in this thread). I play with a tighter right hand on the S2120x than with my other guitars... but I undersand there was no way to fit all this in such a slim guitar.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
Yeap... It is not the best place in the world for the volume knob.
It certainly needs some getting used to... (see the second post I made in this thread). I play with a tighter right hand on the S2120x than with my other guitars... but I undersand there was no way to fit all this in such a slim guitar.
Bet it's not too difficult to get some sweet volume swells though eh?

Tags
dimarzio , ibanez s2120 , paf 36th , s2120x , zebra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode