NGD!!! Ibanez S420 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

NGD!!! Ibanez S420

Woohoo! Never had an Ibanez before, and I think I may be a convert. I've had a few guitars before, a Gibson Les Paul Standard, an ESP EC-1000, an ESP H-1001, and I currently own an ESP Standard Horizon NTII, and Fender Tele Deluxe 72 Reissue. This thing feels better than my ESP Standard, and it was almost 4x the cost!

I was thinking about the S570B, the S570DXQM, and the S770PB, but I really didn't like the middle pup getting in the way of picking. Plus the stained mahogany is beauuutiful.

Getting excited...

More excited...

Almost there...

Tada!

Trem seems to be aligned nicely, and neck pocket is tight. Can't even fit my smallest feeler gauge in there (.002")!
...and LOL, if you look closely you can see my disheveled ass hair at the bottom of the pic. (I've been sick with a fever for the last 3 days)

How my hair is supposed to look... 24/7. lol... (me back with the old ESP EC-1000)

Planned mods:
-Dimarzio Cliplocks
-Dimarzio D-sonic/Air Norton Pups in WHITE
-Matching Black Chrome Knobs with White Pearloid, White 5-way switch cap
-Orange Drop caps (love these things)
-When I get the balls to take this thing apart: Fret Rounded End Dressing, Fretboard edges rounded off, sanding/oiling back of neck.

Overall I'm really happy for this geet, which cost even less than my Fender Deluxe MIM Tele!

Last edited by buttersnips; 02-26-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: NGD!!! Ibanez S420

Congratulations man...That's one helluva nice guitar. Unfortunately, you'll be finding yourself wanting to sell off those ESP's soon. Good luck with that....lol.

I like the mods ideas as well.......... It should turn out great.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Congratulations man...That's one helluva nice guitar. Unfortunately, you'll be finding yourself wanting to sell off those ESP's soon. Good luck with that....lol.

Haha probably. Luckily I already sold the EC-1000 and H-1001!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttersnips View Post
Planned mods:
-Dimarzio Cliplocks
-Dimarzio D-sonic/Air Norton Pups in WHITE
-Matching Black Chrome Knobs with White Pearloid, White 5-way switch cap
then post pics when it's done, white pickups should look great in there
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
then post pics when it's done, white pickups should look great in there
Will do! I already ordered all the parts, they should be here in a few days, then it's time to start tearing apart and modding a perfectly good guitar .
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 06:16 PM

that's one babe of a machine. how much did you get it for?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Reviews: 1

I just got my S420 on Thursday. Same finish. I love the trem, and its very stable. Congrat's Man, and dont feel bad about the ASS HAIR---I do belive it is called a Skullett and you probably rock it 24/7. Unfortunatlly for the moment, I have to leave mine stock. But that aint a bad thing.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

Whats wrong with ESP's? I thought they were decent machines?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:22 PM

Got one as well.....gonna switch out pickups once they arrive.
It's my first ibanez guitar in years......
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruletheneck View Post
that's one babe of a machine. how much did you get it for?
Thanks! GC was actually having a sale so I got it for 424.99, not too bad!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbles View Post
I just got my S420 on Thursday. Same finish. I love the trem, and its very stable. Congrat's Man, and dont feel bad about the ASS HAIR---I do belive it is called a Skullett and you probably rock it 24/7. Unfortunatlly for the moment, I have to leave mine stock. But that aint a bad thing.
Haha awesome, congrats to you as well. I'm having a lot of fun with the ZR, it's the first trem I've owned, so now all I have to do is figure out how to use it . And it's not too bad stock, I've also never owned dimarzio's before so this is all one big experiment for me.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 07:13 AM

Just ordered an S420 WK today. Hope I'll post my positive impressions here.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Just finished the mods. Check it out, let me know what you think!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 12:21 AM

How long did you have it before the MODS?!?!?! Your worse than me with a box of perforamance parts for my truck..... I bought a Cold air intake over a year ago...and have yet to install it.

Please tell me how it sounds! Guys, IM REALLLLLLLLLLY not liking the INF BS pickups, I cannot EQ them to sound decent...... muddy lows with ok high end, mid range is VERY not there.... Why does Ibanez throw such lame Pup's in these? The tester guy Tone Deaf? Im deaf in left ear and can tell these suck now after 2 weeks of trying to make them sound "clear". The S420 sounds killer unplugged, its gotta be the pickups or my whole rig.... GF wont be happy when I start shopping again if thats the case. She still aint happy about the S420 purchase to start with and now Im talking pickups.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbles View Post
How long did you have it before the MODS?!?!?! Your worse than me with a box of perforamance parts for my truck..... I bought a Cold air intake over a year ago...and have yet to install it.

Please tell me how it sounds! Guys, IM REALLLLLLLLLLY not liking the INF BS pickups, I cannot EQ them to sound decent...... muddy lows with ok high end, mid range is VERY not there.... Why does Ibanez throw such lame Pup's in these? The tester guy Tone Deaf? Im deaf in left ear and can tell these suck now after 2 weeks of trying to make them sound "clear". The S420 sounds killer unplugged, its gotta be the pickups or my whole rig.... GF wont be happy when I start shopping again if thats the case. She still aint happy about the S420 purchase to start with and now Im talking pickups.
Haha I pretty much swapped the pups as soon as I got it knowing that the INF pups would not be up to par. I swapped for a D Sonic (bridge) and an Air Norton (neck) and I just played a show tonight and everyone agreed my geet sounded amazing! The D Sonic especially cut well through my peavey 6505 w/ mesa 2x12 horizontal cab (with celestion v30s) very nice and clear and smooth in the midrange and the bass was TIGHT (I play in drop C aka CGCFAD). Solos through the Air Norton were smooth and super musical. The overall tone is brighter and punchier than my ESP Horizon w/ Seymour with the JB/59 combo. With the nice smooth midrange, and tight bass, this thing is crystal clear. Overall, I'm extremely happy with this geet with the mods. It plays great, and now it sounds amazing! Way easier to whip around than my ESP Horizon! My advice, keep the S420, it has great potential, but you def need to swap the pups and it'll come alive!

Tags
air norton , d sonic , orange drop , s420

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode