NGD Kramer F-3000 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
NGD Kramer F-3000

I posted on here a couple of days ago asking jemsters if anybody had any information about a Focus 3000. It was just a prospect purchase when I created the first thread, but now....It's mine. And i'm damn glad I jumped on it for $100, especially since it has an original Floyd. The gentleman I bought from claims he was the original owner and he seemed pretty knowledgeable about Kramers. Cosmetically, its in great shape. Now, i'm going to be some of the clear up some of the controversy behind the Focus 3000. It has a maple body (it's heavy), not plywood. It is, in fact, MIJ w/ a german made floyd. And, the neck profile, as some assumed would be like a baseball bat, is really not that thick, though, It's definately not wizard thin. I use to own a 1960 les paul classic reissue and I have to say the neck on the Kramer is thinner than that. I'm going to have to say the neck profile is comparable/similar to that of my '98 Jackson DK2. I'm not at home yet cuz my work is keeping me late since I took an extended lunch to pick this beast up, so I haven't had the chance to plug it in and play it. So, I will post on here in a little while with the review of what the guitar sounds like. Here is the link to the previous thread (if anyone cares to look) and also the pictures:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f19/kr...0-a-95194.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 06:56 PM

Re: NGD Kramer F-3000

Love it!! That is an awesome find for $100. Damn but it's in good nick. 25 or so years old!! Really nice. Congratz!!!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 07:01 PM

Hardcase as well? Bonus!!!!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Yep, the hard case was included
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Alright, now I just sat down and played it. The Floyd works marvelously, but the pickups are kinda weak. It's not a big deal cuz I wasn't intending on leaving those in there anyway. My guess is that i'll probably drop some real Duncans in there in a couple of months. I'm loving the coil splitter though. This is the first guitar i've owned that actually has one. The neck is a little thicker than I originally thought, but it's still not '59 les paul thick. I compared it side-by-side to the DK2 and I can notice that it's a tad thicker. It probably more closely resembles Jackson Phil Collins model more. But hey, I won't crap on it because of that. I can still shred on it as good as I can with my RG570. Overall, I would have to rate this guitar an 8/10 (avg price), but for the $100 price tag i'll give it a solid 9/10. Later on i'm going recondition the fretboard, lace it up with some 9's, intonate it, and lower the action just a tad. I'm very pleased!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 08:38 PM

The Kramer Focuses are probably some of the best guitars for the buck used right now. They are basically Japanese-built Kramer Pacers. Same parts, etc...just built in Japan.

I'd argue that my F1000 is a better-built guitar than my RG550.

Here's mine that I got for $175. The original owner had modified it for three pickups, all of which were Dimarzios. So those combined with the original Floyd made the purchase a no-brainer. The pickups and hardware alone would have easily surpassed $350.

Anyways, I took out the Dimarzios and put in a JB and a '59, and I made a makeshift plastic cover for the middle pickup. It's somewhat like my "Frankenstrat."

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Hey Waylay00. I've seen you're fretworld blog. Pretty cool stuff. Its an awesome guitar, especially for what I paid for it. I am most likely going to put a JB or a distortion in the bridge in this one, or at least that's what I'm leaning toward. I'm normally a dimarzio guy, but i'm looking to step out of my element a bit for this one. I'm not sure what i'm going to replace the single coils with. I'm kind of second guessing myself about the body wood. I'm assuming it's maple since it's heavy. It's either between maple and poplar according to vintage Kramer. I wanna say it's maple, but i'm second guessing myself because Maple isn't a typical body wood. Do you know by any chance what it is? But you're right, the quality, craftsmanship, and durability of this guitar is second to none.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 04:28 AM

Definitely a 9+/10 Cornstar. When you drop a new set of pups in it that'll be a great guitar for sure. On single coils, I like the DiMarzio HS3 and the Bareknuckle Trilogy Suite.

Digging that F1000 as well Waylay. Nice!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 11:52 AM

Reviews: 3

I told you it was heavy. It's the same body as mine and sounds great with a '59 in the neck. They make a Little '59 single coil version. Hot rails are pretty sweet too. I have a George Lynch Screamon Demon in the bridge and it sounds awesome.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornstar70 View Post
Hey Waylay00. I've seen you're fretworld blog. Pretty cool stuff.
Thanks! I haven't had time to update it recently, but I should have some more stuff coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornstar70 View Post
I'm kind of second guessing myself about the body wood. I'm assuming it's maple since it's heavy. It's either between maple and poplar according to vintage Kramer. I wanna say it's maple, but i'm second guessing myself because Maple isn't a typical body wood. Do you know by any chance what it is? But you're right, the quality, craftsmanship, and durability of this guitar is second to none.
Yeah, I've been told that mine is alder, but I've heard that different woods like poplar and maple were used in different years. So it's kinda hard to tell. Someone on the Kramer Forum might know.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Haha. I tried signing up 2 different accounts on the Kramer forum this week and didn't receive the activation email for either of them.

Tags
focus , kramer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode