NGD. Les Paul Tribute - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
NGD. Les Paul Tribute

Been looking at these for a year now and finally pulled the trigger. 1st NEW guitar I've bought in 30 years. Last one was in 1985. Never really like the feel of any of the Gibsons I've ever held. Necks were always too wide and thick for my liking. Always like the full sounding tone of Les Pauls, just not the feel. Then I played one of these 60's slim tapered necks at our local music store. Felt really good and close to my MIJ Ibanez guitars. With the current 15% off sale, I couldn't resist. Really wanted the Midnight Sapphire but the necks were too light. This one had the darkest rosewood between the Midnight Sapphire and Black Cherry. Sweetwater lets you compare between 4 serials of each. This Epi Les Paul 60's Tribute plus has it all without the USA made price. All Gibson USA electronics including real Gibson USA '57 Classic pickups, Mallory tone caps, and Switchcraft toggle and input jack. Solid mahogany body with a carved maple top and flamed veneer overlay. Really dig the medium jumbo frets too. Feels similar to the 6105s on my JEM. Got to actually hear with some volume at band practice Thursday night and has a great full heavy tone through the Legacy 1. Doesn't have the clarity as any of my Ibanez guitars with Dimarzios but has the in-your-face full bodied tone like a Les Paul should. Weighs in at 9 1/4 lbs too. Solidly built and couldn't find any flaws at all. Restrung with Daddario NYXL and set-up with nice low action. Added some chrome Gotoh strap locks. Pretty happy with it. Will be my go-to for playing the rock covers for sure. Here's some eye candy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 01:36 PM

Re: NGD. Les Paul Tribute

Congrats!!! Sweet guitar, man... Thats a real beauty! That fretboard is so dark it looks like ebony!

Les Pauls may not be the favorite of modern shredders, but to me they are one of the most solid and comfortable guitars to play. My old LP is what judge all other guitars against. Nice addition to anyone's arsenal... enjoy!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 02:31 PM

Congrats you will love it.

For Jackson and Ibanez players who diss Gibson, I always tell them to try out any Gibson slim taper neck. It's the closest to thin superstrat necks that Gibson makes. Most Gibson players prefer a fatter 50s neck thus the shredders generally not liking Gibson as a whole.

Jimmy Page took his fat necked '59 and shaved it down to what is similar to 60s slim taper neck.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 06-21-2015 at 02:50 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 AM

ive been looking at these as Im really gassing for a cherry sunburst les paul.

I already have a Korean epiphone les paul standard in quilt blue, that I love, so I was leaning towards a tokai love rock, or perhaps a burny (again Korean or Chinese models) , just so that its different from the epiphone.

However, if the epiphone 60s tributes are different animals from the epiphone les paul standards, its back on the table...

Have you compared the tribute plus with the epi les paul standard?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Congrats you will love it.

For Jackson and Ibanez players who diss Gibson, I always tell them to try out any Gibson slim taper neck. It's the closest to thin superstrat necks that Gibson makes. Most Gibson players prefer a fatter 50s neck thus the shredders generally not liking Gibson as a whole.

Jimmy Page took his fat necked '59 and shaved it down to what is similar to 60s slim taper neck.
Well i'm an Ibanez player and i actually prefer the 50s style neck, i like the slim taper neck too, but to me the 50s style neck is how a les paul should feel.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:20 PM

Very nice color, and consistency on the top. I didn't know epiphone even made this model. The epiphone stuff is nice. They are consistent too. The problem I have with Gibson is the great amount of inconsistency between guitars. I have noticed poor fret dressing/crowning on a few and a few bad factory setups. That said you can find an excellent one but you have plays a few to find it.

The 2015 gibsons have an even wider neck and they feel thinner in profile than even the 60s slim tapper. They also have an adjustable brass nut\zero fret. Cool features but they ruin it with the stupid g-force tuning system.

Anyways, sweet guitar.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ222 View Post
ive been looking at these as Im really gassing for a cherry sunburst les paul.

I already have a Korean epiphone les paul standard in quilt blue, that I love, so I was leaning towards a tokai love rock, or perhaps a burny (again Korean or Chinese models) , just so that its different from the epiphone.

However, if the epiphone 60s tributes are different animals from the epiphone les paul standards, its back on the table...

Have you compared the tribute plus with the epi les paul standard?
Not even a comparison. The only reason I bought the Tribute was the Gibson USA electronics. That is what makes this a head above the rest of the Epiphones. That and the real carved maple top. I assume it is a non-figured maple with a veneer overlay to keep costs down. Very similar specs as a Gibson Les Paul Traditional.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
Not even a comparison. The only reason I bought the Tribute was the Gibson USA electronics. That is what makes this a head above the rest of the Epiphones. That and the real carved maple top. I assume it is a non-figured maple with a veneer overlay to keep costs down. Very similar specs as a Gibson Les Paul Traditional.
Thanks Metalhead

further research suggests my epiphone may be a les paul classic, rather than a les paul standard. ive also read that epiphone is opposite to Gibson in that the classics have the 50s neck profile, and the standards have the 60s slim profile.

The very few old epiphone catalogues I can find, don't have my guitar in them, so I don't know for sure.

Its this one: (not my photo).

This is the only info I can find:
http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php?ti...ssic_Quilt_Top

no mention of neck profile.

my local store has some tributes in stock last time I checked, so I could try it out. Here in the UK, there is no way I'd be able to try out a tokai love rock, let alone a burny before buying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_zps2b2f1701.jpg (93.0 KB, 1 views)

Tags
les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode