NGD: THE MA3 JEM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

NGD: THE MA3 JEM

THE MA3 JEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 08:43 PM

Re: NGD: THE MA3 JEM

Wondered when someone would take a chance and pick this up. I thought about pulling the trigger sooo many times. My MA3 is hands down the best Ibanez I've ever owned, so I hope yours is equally as awesome. It definitely has some massive cool factor!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Yes the upper fret access is insane! However this one needs love badly. The string slides off the frets. The tone knob doesn't work. The neck pickup doesn't work. The frets snag the string when it slides off. Needs new strings and a setup so bad. It completely frets out to a mute. The Blackout sounds terrible to me. The spring claw screws are stripped out. Loose unconnected wires all in the cavity. Its dirty and looks like its never been polished or cleaned. Parts of the trem had made their way all over the case. Looks like one side of the neck has a bow but the other side does not! Does this mean that the neck is warped and that Im gonna have a hell of time trying to get a setup that works but doesn't suck?!?! THIS IS THE WAY IT CAME! ARGH! WHAT A MESS! Im kinda glad though because now I can try and make it my own.
but you're right, its way cool.

Looking at adding the Liberator for the volume. Is the brass claw and screws worth it? Push/pull for the tone? which pot? What other upgrades can I do to it? Ive been think about scalloping it cause I had a Jem77v that had a full scallop and it was amazeballs!

Thanks for the interest. Im kinda at a loss on how I can get this old gal back up to par. It feels like maybe the locking nut is the wrong length. Any help with that please. Its the Jem size but its gotta be too big. Im gonna need help. Thanks

Last edited by Roon4me; 12-28-2015 at 01:11 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Congrats on the new guitar, I've tidied up some of the duplicate threads you posted.

If there are big technical issues with the guitar and if you're not sure what you're doing, it's probably worth finding a decent local luthier and having them rebuild the guitar from the ground up rather than struggling yourself with a multi-issue problem.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 07:31 AM

Yeah, I have to second Jono here. Sounds like some reasonably substantial stuff going on that you want to have a pro address. Definitely bogus that those details weren't disclosed before you purchased. i think, if given the proper TLC and attention, it still could be very cool though, if you don't mind sinking more cash into it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 07:46 AM

Congrats!

I do own a MA3, too, and I agree. That this is the best Ibanez, I`ve ever played:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/us...-130784-9.html

It`s allways worth repairing a MA3. I hadn`t changed the neck, buildt the monkey grip etc. but the advantage is, that now -not original anymore- you can try other modifications. I wish you a lot of fun with this guitar!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys!
I guess I need to ask, if this were yours what would you do?
If I do send it out to a luthier for a go through, where should I send it?
Maybe I can get a scallop on it at the same time? I was gonna try and collect all the new parts Im gonna need first; maybe new pickups, pots, maybe some brass pieces, etc...
Maybe y'all can help me think of what to get. Do I need to try and find the right locking nut for it? Or is there some magical place where I can get all this done at once? I live WAY out in BFE Colorado. There is nobody that does anything even close to that. Let alone being trustworthy enough to work on an American Master (even if it is ghetto).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

DirkS is right!
Im kinda lucky that its so jacked up. If it was anywhere close to good condition it would never ever leave the house. Now I get to take it out and play it without feeling like I parked a Lambo next to the carts at Walmart!
Thats why Im super stoked to get her up and running. I'd definitely appreciate the help y'all, if you got time. It needs help in so many different areas that Im gonna need to make a plan of attack to be able to get it all done. At least an order of operation. Its gonna drive me nuts until I can jam on it! hehe
Thanks again.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Maybe DirkS or somebody else who owns one can give a locking nut measurement on an unmolested ma3? Mine came to me with the jem standard 43mm. I just ordered a 41mm in hopes that it would keep the strings on the fretboard. 43mm sticks out past the neck so I'm feeling pretty confident. I just wanted to check one in original condition.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 01:06 PM

Congrats on American Ibanez guitar!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

new nut fits perfect and has made the guitar playable finally.
thanks so much. can't wait to finally give it a jam.

Tags
american master , ibanez , jem , ma3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode