NGD - My first S model... 540s LTD - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

NGD - My first S model... 540s LTD

I've always drooled over the S models... and actually got to play an '89 540S that belongs to the guitar guru at the local music store. It felt awesome and sounded fantastic. So when looking for knobs and pots on ebay I came across a nondescript ad for an "Ibanez Electric Guitar"... and after clicking on it I saw it was an '89 540S LTD. Watched it sit at a low price, threw a bid at it... and beat the other bidder by $.60! (sorry guy)

Just arrived today and I am pleasantly shocked by the overall condition. Have not found a flaw or nick anywhere on it YET! No stress cracks or anything.

Came in this old beat-up case... I don't know if it is original or not.

Not sure how to break this to the wife yet though... keeping it under wraps for now. Maybe I'll just wrap it up and put it under the christmas tree and she'll think Santa brought it to me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 09:16 AM

Re: NGD - My first S model... 540s LTD

You're as bad as me man
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 10:21 AM

HAHA congrats on the NGD man... Are we going to hear it on this month's challenge?
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 12:07 PM

Nice find. Tell the wife it's an investment. They aren't making those anymore, so it'll only go up in value. Show her the stats on the 50's strats.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
You're as bad as me man
Almost! No Prestige models or Carvin customs yet. Give me time, lol. The other model I still drool over is a JS1000, but thats not in the cards right now. Unlikely to find one for under $400!

Quote:
HAHA congrats on the NGD man... Are we going to hear it on this month's challenge?
I hope so... I need to go through it, at least to polish the frets and replace the strings. I bought some Elixirs to try on it. Never used coated strings before, but my buddy at work swears they stay clean and last a long time. I hope the original pickups sound good... Been so busy this weekend I haven't had time to get it sorted out with new strings and crank it up!

Quote:
Nice find. Tell the wife it's an investment. They aren't making those anymore, so it'll only go up in value. Show her the stats on the 50's strats.
I had to come clean with her last night. I just couldn't bear hiding it... plus she knows me pretty well after 26 years of marriage. She wasn't mad at all... though she gave me some crap about it, is was all in fun. I just couldn't pass up the deal on it.

I had just bought an RG3XXV in like new condition and got it set up and playing pretty good, then stopped by the local music store to get some strings and check out the guitars. Once I started talking Ibanez with the guitar guy he went into the back and brought out his old '89 540s. I played it for a while and was amazed at how good it played... made my new RG3XXV seem pretty lame. Thats what really got me to thinking about an older MIJ S model. I picked up this sweet '89 540s for less than I payed for the RG3XXV and the difference in quality is evident as soon as you sling it over your shoulder and strum a chord!

I officially have too many guitars now! Life is good... Probably need to sell a couple though.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 09:13 PM

Try the daddario nyxls. They are amazing.

I had elixirs on my jb200 when it came but over time the coating flakes off from playing. Didn't like cleaning metal flakes off all the time.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Try the daddario nyxls. They are amazing.

I had elixirs on my jb200 when it came but over time the coating flakes off from playing. Didn't like cleaning metal flakes off all the time.
What? Metal flakes come off the Elixir strings? That doesn't sound like something I want in my fingertips and fretboard.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
What? Metal flakes come off the Elixir strings? That doesn't sound like something I want in my fingertips and fretboard.
Yeah I noticed it after about a month or so of playing my JB200. I was like "WTF" and asked someone at the guitar shop and he said, "Oh yeah the coating comes off when picking, don't worry about it." That's when I changed them to D'addarios. All of my Ibanezes have D'Addarios, and my 2550 has the NYXL 10-46 gauge. No metla flaking at all, and those are coated to last a LONG time. I'm just barely seeing them get dirt now, and I changed strings on it like 4 or 5 months ago.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 01:41 PM

Reviews: 10

Great score FireEagle!!! Those are great guitars! I have the same 540s LTD model except mine is black...and yours looks to be in better shape...mine has a small crack behind the nut =[ but it was professionally repaired and all seems good with the guitar now. Sweet neck on those guitars. I think you will really like that guitar - congrats man!!!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

I had some free time tonight... so I blocked the trem, took off the old strings, taped off and polished the frets, cleaned the fretboard, and put on the Elixir 10's. The only other strings I had on hand were a set of Curt Mangan 11's, so I had to go with the Elixirs. After I tuned it up and unblocked the trem, it took some fiddling with the springs and such. Finally got it leveled and the action was pretty high... so I lowered the trem and got the action pretty fair, but a little bit of fret buzz too. I quit there because I was anxious to spend some time playing it. Has a different feel to it than my other guitars, but I like it and it sounds pretty good with the stock pickups. Has good clean sound, for sure.

I think I need to flatten the neck a little and maybe get the action down a bit more... but it might be good to let it settle in to it's new environment for a couple weeks. I don't want to be fooling around with it too much, if I can't dial it in easily I'll go see a pro.

Hey Dorian - How do you like the stock pickups in yours? Does it have the F1(neck) C2 F2(bridge) set?
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 11:41 PM

Reviews: 2

Great NGD Fire!! sorry I missed it earlier.

I was going to suggest some mangan stainless strings- but not 11's!! LOL

The F1-C2-F2 set is a great combination. I've never heard it in mahogany, but can't imagine the F2 being anything other than stellar. I wonder about the F1 in mahogany though....... you'll have to let us know about it.

Don't send it to a pro unless it's someone you KNOW is well versed in Ibanez bolt-ons. I'm so sick of these "Pro's" giving guitars back to customers with a "fat strat" setup.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Great NGD Fire!! sorry I missed it earlier.

I was going to suggest some mangan stainless strings- but not 11's!! LOL

The F1-C2-F2 set is a great combination. I've never heard it in mahogany, but can't imagine the F2 being anything other than stellar. I wonder about the F1 in mahogany though....... you'll have to let us know about it.

Don't send it to a pro unless it's someone you KNOW is well versed in Ibanez bolt-ons. I'm so sick of these "Pro's" giving guitars back to customers with a "fat strat" setup.
Thanks RGT... Yeah, this is not the guitar for 11's. Eons ago I started using 10's so that usually all I ever buy, but maybe I should consider 9's on this one?

The pickups sounded pretty good to me... but I'll have to spend some more time and crank it up to get a real good listen. The neck seemed a bit muddy with gain, but better clean. I really liked the clean sounds out of the neck and middle pickups. Bridge seems good to go!! The only real trouble is getting used to that single coil in the middle.. right about where I pick 90% of the time. (if I had better technique I wouldn't even know it was there... lol)

The guy I would take it to has the same '89 540s... so I would trust him to some degree. He wants me to bring it in so he can check it out anyway, so we'll see what he has to say about the setup. This guitar is a real find and I don't want to mess with it if at all possible. I'm a little freaked out about how immaculate it is, to be honest. It would almost be better if it was just a dinged up player... lol.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 01:52 AM

Congrats!!! These are great guitars and the stock pickups are very nice!!! They even sound good unplugged!!
Even if you take it to a tech, be sure to read this first (if you haven't already) so you know a few things about setting it up: http://www.jemsite.com/articles-menu...tup-questions/
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 02:30 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Thanks RGT... Yeah, this is not the guitar for 11's. Eons ago I started using 10's so that usually all I ever buy, but maybe I should consider 9's on this one?

The pickups sounded pretty good to me... but I'll have to spend some more time and crank it up to get a real good listen. The neck seemed a bit muddy with gain, but better clean. I really liked the clean sounds out of the neck and middle pickups. Bridge seems good to go!! The only real trouble is getting used to that single coil in the middle.. right about where I pick 90% of the time. (if I had better technique I wouldn't even know it was there... lol)

The guy I would take it to has the same '89 540s... so I would trust him to some degree. He wants me to bring it in so he can check it out anyway, so we'll see what he has to say about the setup. This guitar is a real find and I don't want to mess with it if at all possible. I'm a little freaked out about how immaculate it is, to be honest. It would almost be better if it was just a dinged up player... lol.
Cool man, If you like the Mangan strings, I'm using the 9.5-44 stainless on all of my guitars now. I've literally never found a more stable string. The set on my 760 is eight months old and the set on my 410 is over a year old. They get played every day too.

FWIW, the single is actually a stacked humbucker. You 540 is truly an H-H-H.........cool, huh?

You mentioned your guy earlier- I should have picked up on that. I'm sure he'll get it a good as it can be. Don't be "afraid" of it's condition, you don't need a "pristine" wall decoration. You need a pristine player that you can barely handle putting down....LOL.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:14 AM

Now I need to find a nice looking S

Tags
540sltd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode