NGD, NND, and NAD..Labor Day Special - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 9
NGD, NND, and NAD..Labor Day Special

Last week was a really good week for me.

First up is a 97 S540 that I paid a bit more than I would have liked from Guitar Center. Guitar Center used over the internet has usually worked out pretty well for me, but this was exceptional. I spoke with the reps a few time and description wher pretty consistant on the condition and playability. Basicall mint except for two very small dings on the edges and a little, very little cosmo wear on the bridge. I was considering a new S5470, but I love the old Sabers and this is one of the best sounding and playing instuments I have ever owned. Play is exceptional, pictures are poor.

Well like I said I was looking at a new s5470 so I still had some budget money left so I found a really nice 2008 RG770DX reissue neck. The neck is maple, bound, with red teeth which was a key to the purchase. The neck has bassically the same hell size as my 2011 S570MQM indo but it has a old school block heel. So I modified body ever so slightly to accept the increased length of the binding, marked scale, filled previous mounting holes and mounted it up to the s570 indo. Results are amazing! I loved this guitar with the indo neck, but I wanted the extra strength, stability, radius, and quality of the modern jap necks. All was delivered. Color match is great, even though I lost the matching quilt hs. I haven't sculpted the block yet but will soon.

Well, then the labor day sales started working on me, so I called Greg at Sweetwater and the result is a 5153 50 watt and matching 1x12 (soon to be a 2 1x12 mini stack. I would prefer the 2x12 but like the look and functionality on the mini stack. I haven't had much time with it but it should easily replace my Blackstar ht5 mini for the bedroom (seriously), and take care of all biiger needs. I should have a review on this soon. Early reports are serious versitility and tone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 05:32 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: NGD, NND, and NAD..Labor Day Special

That's a hell of a new gear day! Enjoy!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Great stuff!! Love both the guitars. The 540FM is a beauty and the 770 neck works well with the S570. Great amp too!! Definitely lots of cool gear there to keep you happy!!!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 07:07 PM

I love the s540fmtp! But the fmtb in the last pic is even better.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 07:39 PM

Reviews: 2

Yeah nice stuff. Sweet when you find things you like.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 08:26 PM

Reviews: 18

Damn man, someone had tons of cash...

Congrats and enjoy!

Jimmy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 PM

Nice!!! I love my 5150 50 watt

Enjoy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 9

I had not really planned on all this it just happened in a very nice way. The main goal was to get another S. I had been looking for a purple S but I am not big on the gold hardware, so when this came up I had to have it. I did not even realize that they made these with cosmo during 97/98, all I had ever noticed was the gold. The cosmo gives it a darker look. Then the perfect neck pops up, and it is perfect, plays so nice, like getting an S5470QM in red for a lot less. Had to do it.

Now the 5150III. Back in the day I had an original 5150 and would consider it my favorite amp of all time for 1 main reason...Crunch. Love things about Mesa's and Marshalls too, but for me the 5150 tone and distortion is perfect. So right now I am currently using an Blackstar HT5 for studio and a Mesa Rectoverb for bigger needs. I love both but the HT5 did not cover all of my gain needs without a pedal. I love the dirt channel but for higher gain metal i would use either a clean boost or a metal pedal on the clean channel. I also used the clean boost for solos. I have been looking for a head in the $500 - 600 range to replace the HT5 with more gain and 3 channels. After reading reviews on this head, I made a little extra money and decided to see what Sweetwater could do, They gave me a great deal and I decided I need to try the 5150III out. Buy the way, Sweetwater is a amazing, Thanks Greg!

One thing I never liked to much about the 5150 (all revs) is that they were just too loud all the time (both in volume and noise), the volume knob was touchy. The 5150III is quiet, sounds great at ultra low volumes and is easy to adjust at low volume. Even in a small room you can dial a ton of gain, have the master near 1/4 and enjoy the tone without hearing damage. So far I am impressed, controls are simple, resonance and presence adjustment mean a huge range of flexibility, 3 channels from clean to serious metal gain and beyond.

Right now using the 1x12 alone I have the resonance fairly high 3/4, presence about 7/10, and the reamining controls near 1/2. Why use fractions? Well that is how it is marked on the faceplate. I have the gain on the blue/green channel (shared control) at about 6/10, and the red channel gain at about 4/10. I get Clean to a bit of hair depending on guitar volume, Pure EVH type crunch on channel 2 and easy metal or lead boost on the red channel. It is just about perfect.

I have not played on it too much but what I have realized is I really like it at many different volumes, eq settings, and gain levels. It is very clear and articulate and inspires playing different type of music styles. I can get some great AFD tones out of this thing too. It may be somewhat of a signature amp but it does so much more than just that signature sound, which alone is worth the price of admission.

Last edited by fly_with_v; 09-12-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Tags
5153 s540 s570 block neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode