NGD oldschool Ibanez strats - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Talking NGD oldschool Ibanez strats

I just snagged a couple of older model Ibanez oldschool strats. Ive heard nothing but good things about them and ive been jonesing for an Ibanez strat because I havent been too pleased with my fenders.

First snag is a 97 BL850 reissue with upgraded Dimarzio pickups, upgraded stainless saddles and locking tuners.

second was an RT450BK that has been sitting in a display case most of its life with no play wear and almost mint finish.

URL=http://img35.imageshack.us/i/rt450bk.jpg/][/url]

Does anyone own one of these? I have heard that the necks are incredible. Let me know what you think if these two models?

I will post pics of them when they arrive. Im still awaiting shipment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 01:03 PM

Re: NGD oldschool Ibanez strats

There is a guy in Nashville that has a rt just like that on Craigslist.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 01:22 PM

Sexy stuff! Congrats.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

The cool thing with the BL850 is that it is already modded with what I would have done and I traded a strat body for it so it didnt really cost me any money. The RT is bone stock OEM. I believe it might have coil tapping options from the factory I will see when it comes.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 06:22 PM

i think the rt450 is awesome. congrats!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Sigh....... Theres a good chance the 850 will arrive via the UPS guy tomorrow. Cant wait to check it out.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

The 850 came today and I have one word. SOLID SOLID SOLID... Well maybe thats 3. This thing feels like one piece of wood. Its built like a tank and you know all that hype in the ads from 97 about the reissue neck? Believe it. This is a better strat style guitar than any fender I have ever played under 1000 bucks. It appears that the neck and bridge pickups are little on the aggressive side. I know the bridge is a tonezone but I am not sure about the neck. I think they need a good home (my rg550) I want to put a PAF style humbucker and 2 singles in the guitar so I can have a fat strat config. Im thinkin 2 fralin blades in the neck and mid and a Paf bum in the bridge and this thing with run with anything. Heres some pics. Its not mint but very very clean.

[IMG=http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6201/hpim2762.jpg][/IMG]

Last edited by Wolfbane20; 06-25-2010 at 01:27 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 01:45 PM

Congratulations! You've discovered what I consider to be the best strat-style models Ibanez has made (RT and 97-98 Blazer reissues). Both the BL850 and BL1025 models are outstanding, and I think they're on par with the newer boutique strats built by Taylor, Anderson and Suhr, the primary difference being about $1500!

Your 850 must have had a bridge pickup swap -- correct? They originally had V8s. I've done what you described with a couple of my Blazer reissues and changed them from HSH to HSS. John at Terrapin Guitars (http://www.terrapinguitars.com/) made a template out of one of my BL pickguards, so he's a good source for quality guards and you'll avoid the template fee. The Blazer reissues aren't listed among the Ibanez models on his web site, but he definitely has the template in his stock.

I also love the RT's. I've got an RT project on the bench right now -- putting a maple board neck on an RT450 body I picked up cheap. Should be cool.

Cheers,
Bert
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
Congratulations! You've discovered what I consider to be the best strat-style models Ibanez has made (RT and 97-98 Blazer reissues). Both the BL850 and BL1025 models are outstanding, and I think they're on par with the newer boutique strats built by Taylor, Anderson and Suhr, the primary difference being about $1500!

Your 850 must have had a bridge pickup swap -- correct? They originally had V8s. I've done what you described with a couple of my Blazer reissues and changed them from HSH to HSS. John at Terrapin Guitars (http://www.terrapinguitars.com/) made a template out of one of my BL pickguards, so he's a good source for quality guards and you'll avoid the template fee. The Blazer reissues aren't listed among the Ibanez models on his web site, but he definitely has the template in his stock.

I also love the RT's. I've got an RT project on the bench right now -- putting a maple board neck on an RT450 body I picked up cheap. Should be cool.

Cheers,
Bert
Boy that neck is really something. It reminds me of a 59 roundback but made a little smaller and strat sized. They said the main idea of the guitar was to make it like playing a broken in comfortable guitar and its really quite neat. I bought a 2009 american standard and the neck was pure crap compared to this neck. How much did it cost you to have the HSS pickguard made?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 PM

It was $48 for the cream pearl (like the original) and $31 for a plain white one. That was a couple of years ago so I don't know if it'd be the same now. He's making an HSS for my RT450 now and that one is $33 plus shipping, so I think it's only gone up by a few bucks at most. Everything I've gotten from him so far has been perfectly cut.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 10:39 PM

Reviews: 1

very nice.

you have to give the tobacco burst one the Stevie Ray Vaughn treatment! black pickguard, white pickups and knobs and gold hardware
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

I got the RT450 today and its in superb condition. The viper neck isnt bad. its a little wide. Its very similar to a 1550 prestige. Its that type of feel.

I gave the 850 new strings and an intonation adjustment, adjusted the trem so it is tight agains the inside of the trem cavity and it sounds much much better. The Bridge pickup seems to be less abrasive and more tonefull. Now I am afraid to change anything on the guitar. It sounds and feels sick.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 AM

Hey Wolf; You still in love with the Blazer? I snagged one for an amazing price yesterday on the bay and can't wait for it to get here.

How do feel about the trem? This will be my first guitar with a vintage style trem, so I'm curious as to the quality and stability of the 510at. Not looking to do any divebombs obviously.

Tags
dimarzio , ibanez , rt450 , strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode