NGD! orange 87 RG550 mint! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

NGD! orange 87 RG550 mint!

just arrived today from Japan. refer my previous post:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/my...-a-124035.html

practically mint! no scratches, dings, dirt, rust (just a bit on the backplate) and the trem is perfect! fretboard's clean, neck silky smooth. looks like it hadn't been played much, even the switch and knobs are still stiff. dang...only thing is the Renault/ELF ex-stickers/paintjob can be seen from an angle...see my previous post fr pics.

plugged it in..yeahhhh..pull the trem up, what, only a little movement. dive...won't go. first thought, trem is blocked. here's a pic:

see that little metal strip..theres 5 of them. and from the back:

so are these responsible fr blocking the trem? easily removed? havent got around taking the trem off..room is a mess (moving out this weekend).

heres some more pics

so any thoughts on the trem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: NGD! orange 87 RG550 mint!

No the metal strips you're refering to is the underside of the trem = look at this picture

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 07:07 AM

As you can see you have the tremblock very close to the edge of the cavity(where the springs connect) then when you pull up it probably tuched the edge and that's why you have so little movement. You won't have the same problem doing a dive as then the block moves the other why.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

oh.. its the spring plate. sorry, nooby my 1st RG and FR style trem. I'm used to fixed bridge.

hmmm..i cant pull/dive even 1/2 step...just minimal movement on the trem. usually the issue most guys face is trem too high or too low inside the cavity. well. mine's wont move..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 AM

Is the tremolo set up properly so the knife edge is parallel to the body? Or is it sunk in with the knife edge pointing up (headstock end)? It looks like the tremolo isn't in it's optimal position and resting against the body. It's a floating tremolo so it has to be balanced between spring tension and string tension. Right now, the springs are winning.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 AM

If you look at this picture you could see if the tremblock would be very close to the edge of the cavity it would be hard to pull up. You can also see that there is like 0.5-1cm of space between the block and the cavity edge. Do you have the correct trem angle?. Can't really see it from your picture.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 AM

Btw the springs look short, so as MichelIV saying check the trem angle.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 AM

Some more pictures of the trem would help diagnosis, are the knife edges seated in the grooves on the posts correctly as in the diagram?
Jim

Last edited by Vim Fuego; 11-29-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Typo...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the tips guys...i took everything off and re-do it. i think this rg has been sitting unplayed for a really long time. the springs were very stiff and theres no sign of wear, like it was new.

i screwed the claw all the way in just to stretch the springs and left it while i order a pizza (celebrating my 1st RG hehehh). after around half hour i went on to tune and about 15mins...done! pretty good considering its my first time dealing with a trem (actually i read a lot of forum members' tips here while waiting for delivery hehehh).
plays beautifully tho its still quite stiff to dive especially..maybe it was the springs. at first the strings look shorter because the claw was screwed way out almost giving no tension to the springs. and it might be that it was in that position a long time. as i said, there are no wear and tear usually found on used guitar.

tonight i'm just enjoying my new baby
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 AM

nice guitar man, congrats!

im still on the hunt for an original 540p in good condition
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

thanks man...i guess i was lucky to get a mint 1987 rg550
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffian1 View Post
thanks for the tips guys...i took everything off and re-do it. i think this rg has been sitting unplayed for a really long time. the springs were very stiff and theres no sign of wear, like it was new.

i screwed the claw all the way in just to stretch the springs and left it while i order a pizza (celebrating my 1st RG hehehh). after around half hour i went on to tune and about 15mins...done! pretty good considering its my first time dealing with a trem (actually i read a lot of forum members' tips here while waiting for delivery hehehh).
plays beautifully tho its still quite stiff to dive especially..maybe it was the springs. at first the strings look shorter because the claw was screwed way out almost giving no tension to the springs. and it might be that it was in that position a long time. as i said, there are no wear and tear usually found on used guitar.

tonight i'm just enjoying my new baby
Ok then...enjoy it.

Tags
1987 rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode