NGD - Palm Bay Cyclone - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

7Likes
  • 1 Post By jono
  • 1 Post By Algiman
  • 1 Post By Zoot
  • 3 Post By Rich
  • 1 Post By Zoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
NGD - Palm Bay Cyclone

I'd been hunting for a Palm Bay for quite some time and had resigned myself to the fact I would probably be looking at one of their Tidalwave models. I missed a couple trading hands and then couldn't find a nice one for a while. I'd pretty much given up and bought an S5570 as a stopgap when I bumped into this Cyclone (their top of the range guitar) almost by chance and it had to come home with me (Mrs Jono is very understanding like that!)

It's apparently one of a run of six for the Japanese market and is an SD-X with the "horizontal" fade, although I think the middle orange had faded a lot on this one over the last 20 years giving it a more 2-tone colour.

I'm still hunting for a Cyclone SE-X (see what they did there) but this is a real blast from the past from when guitars held real mystery for me and one I've wanted for ages.

It's got a 55mm think body, (I think about 50mm of mahogany and 5mm of solid flame maple) a maple neck, luscious ebony board, mahogany scarfed on headstock with maple cap, Gotoh hardware and Dimarzio pickups.

It's also got the full dolphin and palm tree inlays which are the top of the line, "signature" Palm Bay inlays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small PBC.JPG (39.6 KB, 58 views)
MatiasTolkki likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 04:47 PM

Re: NGD - Palm Bay Cyclone

Very nice. One of the guitars I lusted over when they came out.
jono likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 04:20 PM

Nice one. You got one at last
jono likes this.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yep, and at Leeds Bradford guitar show of all places! We popped in on the way to see the in-laws and there it was!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 01:38 AM
Vendor

The search is the fun part, that moment of fulfillment the orgasm. Then, you remember something else you always wanted, and the search begins again. I do that alot. Mostly I just see something cool and the shiny object hypnotizes me. Don't show me a cool watch, please [I just bought a Tank yesterday at my little local honey auction!]. And I have a stack of pistol permits that run out in 7 days so I've got to go buy something just so I don't waste the permit, they're not exactly easy to get. I'm sure they're a little tougher to get on your island

I bet you could put an Edge in that, the rout looks big enough
jono, Zoot and MatiasTolkki like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Yep, and at Leeds Bradford guitar show of all places! We popped in on the way to see the in-laws and there it was!
Damn I forgot all about that show, its just up the road from me.
jono likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The search is the fun part, that moment of fulfillment the orgasm. Then, you remember something else you always wanted, and the search begins again. I do that alot. Mostly I just see something cool and the shiny object hypnotizes me. Don't show me a cool watch, please [I just bought a Tank yesterday at my little local honey auction!]. And I have a stack of pistol permits that run out in 7 days so I've got to go buy something just so I don't waste the permit, they're not exactly easy to get. I'm sure they're a little tougher to get on your island

I bet you could put an Edge in that, the rout looks big enough
You're right, there was a big buzz for me when I noticed it across the hall! Not sure what will be next, might have to shift some stuff to make room first.

And yes the rout is fairly big and looks like it was done with a template and a plunge router! These were all hand made back 20 years ago. I will see how much time I have at the weekend to see if an Edge will fit
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 03:14 AM

That's stunning. Are these expensive?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusman2x View Post
That's stunning. Are these expensive?
They're more rare than expensive. This one was definitely cheaper than a JEM of similar age and condition. But I've only seen three of these hand built Palm Bays come up in the last year and only this one with the horizontal fade. There are a couple of these Palm Bays on reverb at the moment, but not the horizontal fade ones and so I've passed on them.

They make a modern production version that sells for about £1000 street price/ Those are great guitars and still have the Domarzio and Gotoh hardware but are in a highly competitive price bracket so you don't see too many of those either.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:50 AM

Wow NICE. I met one of the guitar players for the newly revived Power Quest back in September and he is a signature artist for Palm Bay guitars right now. They are a small operation based somewhere in England and they will cost you about the price of a Kiesel to get one... But Holy heck I would LOVE to have one. My next guitar (when I can afford it) is gonna be a palm bay custom ordered.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
They're more rare than expensive. This one was definitely cheaper than a JEM of similar age and condition. But I've only seen three of these hand built Palm Bays come up in the last year and only this one with the horizontal fade. There are a couple of these Palm Bays on reverb at the moment, but not the horizontal fade ones and so I've passed on them.

They make a modern production version that sells for about £1000 street price/ Those are great guitars and still have the Domarzio and Gotoh hardware but are in a highly competitive price bracket so you don't see too many of those either.
Those Dimarzios are called the B3 iirc, specially made just for Palm Bay. I am DYING to hear what they sound like.

Tags
palm bay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode