NGD - Peavey Wolfgang Special - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 15
NGD - Peavey Wolfgang Special

Sorry, Jack Secret, this might take more than 25 words...

I've never been the biggest EVH fan (I think it was that smug grin during his solo on the Jump video), so his many endorsements haven't really been on my radar over the years.

Until last week, when The Auction Site Which Shall Not Be Named turned up this 2004 Peavey Wolfgang Special :

It's Korean made so, of course, that means :

- No-name pickups
- Hardly the most awe-inspiring maple cap you ever saw
- No figured maple neck or fingerboard

But, apparently, it also means :

- Extremely solid mahogany body
- Fantastic construction
- Free D-Tuna
- Chunky but oh-so-comfortable neck
- Amazing tone. No-name they may be, but the pickups are anything but budget items.

It's an odd beast - lay it next to an RG and it looks tiny but the body is far bigger than it looks and it feels very comfortable to play (lack of a forearm contour notwithstanding).

Being spawned from The Auction Site Which Shall Not Be Named, it inevitably needed some TLC, although it arrived in a sturdy cardboard box and what seemed like several metric tonnes of packing foam.

As usual, I stripped it down, cleaned it up with isopropyl alcohol, reassembled and restrung it. On the way, I sanded the back of the neck with 800 grit sandpaper and hit the body with finishing polish to remove the light pick scratches it had picked up.

Once it was restrung with D'Addario XLs in 9-42, I set it up to suit my preference. The bridge was sitting low on its knife edges, as the posts were too low, so on every trem dive it shifted on the the posts and knocked horribly. To counter this, the previous owner had slapped grease all over the posts and the knife edges; I cleaned the excess off and reset the posts so that the bridge plate was sitting flat to the body (no back routing on this guitar). Smoothness returned.

For the D-Tuna to work sweetly, the fine tuner on the low E string needs to be backed right off. It wasn't, so the in/out movement of the D-Tuna was very stiff, something the previous owner had again attempted to correct with grease. Once everything had been cleaned off and the guitar retuned with the fine tuner backed off, the action of the D-Tuna was smooth and light.

If you can only play Wizard necks and anything else makes you feel ill (which would be a shame, as it means that Strats and Les Pauls are off the menu for you), then this isn't the guitar for you. On the other hand, my go-to guitars have been RGs for the last 15 years but I picked up the Wolfgang last night and played it for 2 hours straight, with a daft grin on my face the whole time.

If you see a Wolfgang Special for a decent price, you could do far worse than to grab it and thrash it to within an inch of its life.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 04:38 PM

Re: NGD - Peavey Wolfgang Special

Congrats. Looks like a great deal.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 05:14 PM

Oh my.. what a beautiful guitar. Congrats.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 06:14 PM

Your on hard drugs if you think that top doesnt look good. Its probably only a few mm thick but it still looks awesome, I have the same model, same color as yours. Same issues with the tremolo and d-tuna actually. I have had to replace about 3 vibrato bars on it since about 2003 or 4, cant quite remember when i picked it up. You should wet the neck and let the grain rise and then sand it again though. I finished with some 0000 steel wool and a touch of wax ala taylor guitars.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 08:19 PM

So, when the 3 way is pointed up at you, that's the bridge pickup on these? I like that color, she looks pretty good to me Congrats!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Your on hard drugs if you think that top doesnt look good. Its probably only a few mm thick but it still looks awesome, I have the same model, same color as yours. Same issues with the tremolo and d-tuna actually. I have had to replace about 3 vibrato bars on it since about 2003 or 4
I love the top, but it's a bit patchy - there's very little pattern up on the top horn.

The bridge and the D-Tuna are stable now but I'll see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
So, when the 3 way is pointed up at you, that's the bridge pickup on these?
Yup, I think they were just trying to freak out Les Paul owners, and the design of the switch means you can't just spin it round, you would need to rewire it. On the plus side, it doesn't get in the way like the switch on my LP did.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Banned

i used to have a peavey hp special.awsome guitar but im not a fan of those necks.felt like a baseball bat.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE View Post
On the plus side, it doesn't get in the way like the switch on my LP did.
I'm fairly sure that I read in an interview years ago that this is exactly why the switch is reversed.
jono is online  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:46 PM

That's pretty funny, actually The only guitar I have with that sort of switch (a 175 type) I only ever use the neck pickup on.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'm fairly sure that I read in an interview years ago that this is exactly why the switch is reversed.
Makes sense. Years ago my cousin would play my Epiphone LP and always commented how the pickup toggle got in the way of his strumming. He would inevitably flick it to the neck position. I'm betting Eddie doesn't use the neck pickup too often anyway.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

That's why I did this to my LP :

Also, it filled the other hole that was left over.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
That's why I did this to my LP :

Also, it filled the other hole that was left over.

Interesting guitar with the killswitch! My paul has a factory kahler and maple neck. I also reverse the toggle switch orientation it makes more sense like this to me.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:26 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
But, apparently, it also means :

- Extremely solid mahogany body
Congrats on the new guitar -- I have wanted one of these for a long time. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the body, like the EBMM before and the EVH Wolfgang after, is basswood. That said, it works beautifully on these guitars, and you should have a really enjoyable player there.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 AM

Congrats on the Wolfgang. Cool guitars. I've got a US Standard hardtail with a sweet purple flame. EVH has just released official Wolfgang pickups which could be useful if you want to upgrade tour pups...
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
Congrats on the new guitar -- I have wanted one of these for a long time. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the body, like the EBMM before and the EVH Wolfgang after, is basswood. That said, it works beautifully on these guitars, and you should have a really enjoyable player there.
So I discovered when I did some more research. Weighs an absolute ton, I just assumed it was mahogany. There must be a lead plate in it or something

It's a sign of how much I've been playing this guitar that I picked up an RG last night and the neck felt weird...

Tags
d-tuna , evh , peavey , wolfgang

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode