NGD - Petrucci Content - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Eco

NGD - Petrucci Content

I suppose its not technically a prestige but today I finally got that one guitar I'd wanted since the day I first saw it. Being a huge Petrucci and DT fan I'd wanted one of these ever since i'd first spotted one, but hadn't even had chance to play one let alone been offered the chance to buy one.

The thing plays amazingly, I also own an EBMM Petrucci 6 string and I'm having a hard time figuring out which I like best. I always figured the difference between his album sounds was down to amp choice but this is so much crunchier than the MusicMan model, sounding way more like the earlier albums.

A guy with a very enviable guitar collection offered it for sale and as soon as I saw it I had to go for it, as soon as I picked it up I knew i was going to take it home. The setup is top quality, it has barely any fret wear which is pretty good considering it is carrying a few battle scars. It's also nice to be getting re-acquainted with the lo pro again also, i'd almost forgot how much I loved that trem.

Anyway here's a quick iphone pic, the red looks quite pink in these buts its not very faded at all for the most part. Overall I'm absolutely buzzing, i can't imagine putting it down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 08:30 PM

Re: NGD - Petrucci Content

What a beauty! Always wanted one of those. I don't know why I didn't get one when they were being made.

Congrats!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 08:52 PM

Nice!

I want one!

Enjoy!
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 09:30 PM

Reviews: 13

How's the fretwire?
Looks medium jumbo or even smaller.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 10:08 PM

Reviews: 2

awesome axe, congratulations, ive always liked petruccis guitars, especially that P1
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 11:20 PM

Congratulations, really nice looking axe and it looks to be in great shape, although i don't like Petrucci at all i 've always liked his guitars, i would have gotten a MM JP6 if it weren't for that JP logo on the fretboard lol.

Anyway if i remember correctly this axe came with a Dimarzio pick up called Steve's special or something like that right? which i guess it was made with Steve Vai in mind but i don't remember Vai ever playing with that pup, so what was the deal with that?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 12:48 AM

Reviews: 1

Sweet axe for sure... I've played a EBMM JP12 and it's pretty sweet as well.

Nice to have the best of both worlds....
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Eco

Frets feel pretty similar to JP6 apart from not quite as smooth as the stainless ones on the musicman. Size wise I'd guess they're about the same.

I actually wondered the same about the Steve's Special, I've never really heard of Vai using them but still just assumed they were made with him in mind lol. It seems quite different from crunch lab.

It does have a few marks on it which the photo has kinda glared out. The only one immediately noticeable on the front is in the black area above the pickups towards the top of the guitar, it's probably what you'd call players condition, but its been quite recently set up and whoever did it put a great job on it.

Last edited by Eco; 10-18-2014 at 06:39 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 06:55 AM

The Steve's Special was named after the person that invented the pickup if I remember correctly, not Steve Vai.

The Air Norton is the neck pickup if I remember correctly.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
The Steve's Special was named after the person that invented the pickup if I remember correctly, not Steve Vai.
Aren' t Steve's Special actually 6-string version of Blaze pickups?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 01:32 PM

Reviews: 3

Congrats! I always wanted a JP2 and a JP3!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 02:02 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco View Post
Frets feel pretty similar to JP6 apart from not quite as smooth as the stainless ones on the musicman. Size wise I'd guess they're about the same.
Ouch, this is my complain with my JP6... the frets are way too small to me. I prefer big jumbos.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 03:38 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
Aren' t Steve's Special actually 6-string version of Blaze pickups?
No, the Steve Special was actually considered the updated version of the Mega-Drive with the mids scooped a little more. The SS is the reason the Mega was pulled out of the production lineup.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 12:04 AM

Congrats to a super cool guitar!

About the Steve's Special,
It has nothing to do with Steve Vai, it is named after the Steve that invented it (Steve Blucher). The special part of the name from it being different than most other high output pickups, boosted lows and highs and cut midrange making so it drive the amp different than most other high output pickups. Fantastic pickup, superb string separation when playing distorted chords. From what I have been told does it not have anything to do with the mega-drive or being a replacement for it. No matter what, a very cool pickup.

/Magnus
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
Congrats to a super cool guitar!

About the Steve's Special,
It has nothing to do with Steve Vai, it is named after the Steve that invented it (Steve Blucher). The special part of the name from it being different than most other high output pickups, boosted lows and highs and cut midrange making so it drive the amp different than most other high output pickups. Fantastic pickup, superb string separation when playing distorted chords. From what I have been told does it not have anything to do with the mega-drive or being a replacement for it. No matter what, a very cool pickup.

/Magnus
Thanks Magnus, now it makes perfect sense.

Tags
john petrucci , p1 jpm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode