NGD & Pickup question- 1993 Jackson Reverse Dinky Professional - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

NGD & Pickup question- 1993 Jackson Reverse Dinky Professional

Just got a 93 Reverse Dinky Professional, MIJ. Bridge pickup is a Bill Lawrence USA 500L (not XL).

My question is about the pup configuration. It's H-H with 3-way switch. Currently the middle position appears to be out of phase, it's much lower in volume (like 40% less, by ear) and spanky/quacky. I don't mind it, since I've no real use for the middle position with two humbuckers in series.

The other odd thing (or maybe it's not) is the 500L only measures out at 8.92K. I always thought it was a hot pickup.

The neck pickup is a Jackon 80C, which measures at 14.9K. Since it was originally a bridge pup I'm guessing a previous owner put the 500L in the bridge, thinking it was a hotter pickup, and moved the 80C to the neck. I may reverse them, though it seems weird to have a blade pickup (the 500L) in the neck and not in the bridge.

Thanks y'all.

Last edited by gauchosilvertone; 05-01-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: More info on neck pickup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 AM

Re: NGD & Pickup question- 1993 Jackson Reverse Dinky Professional

using 3way switch, it's possible to make your middle position as both humbucker split.
I've done this to one of my RG.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Got the out of phase thing figured out- the black was being used as hot, when it should have been green.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 PM

If memory serves the L500 was quite a bit lower in output than the XL and your spec sounds about right. I think I also recall many people using the L in the neck, but it has been a few years since I did all the research on them. I have an original L500 in my pickup box, I have an XL in a dime, and I have a couple Dimebuckers layin around also. Memory is a little rusty, but look up Wylde pickups and give them a call, that is the real Bill Lawrence who actually designed all the pickups.

There was also something about only using certain pot values with the XL.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

I somehow overlooked the fact that it says "500L RHYTHM," so that closed the case on whether it was a neck pickup. I have swapped the two, and the result is AWESOME. It's total 80's metal heaven, especially the j-80c bridge pickup. Something about the ultra light American basswood body (MUCH lighter than my old 550) and that teeny tiny neck with those pickups just screams Def Leppard...I love it.

Tags
500l , bill lawrence , bill lawrence usa , dinky , jackson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode