NGD: Prestige RGA 7-string - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

NGD: Prestige RGA 7-string

Too bad Ibanez never actually built this.

So I did. It's a 1527Z neck on an RGA7 body. Had intended to route for an Edge Pro 7, but the RGA7 bridge pickup is closer to the bridge than it would be on a 1527, so the posts would be too close to the pickup cavity for comfort. Fun to play with a hardtail, for a change, I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 11:22 PM

Re: NGD: Prestige RGA 7-string

Very nice, and a great idea. The 1527's have the best necks on any 7 string I have played.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Loving the guitar, though I'm not sure I'm an EMG fan. Rumor is that Dimarzio will release soap-bar mount 7-string pickups at NAMM, so a set of those might be going in...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 05:05 PM

Reviews: 21

Super sweet! The RGA line died way before its time IMO!
No offense to your guitar, which is awesome, but it was killed by making it MII on hardtails and removing the passive pickup option.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Super sweet! The RGA line died way before its time IMO!
No offense to your guitar, which is awesome, but it was killed by making it MII on hardtails and removing the passive pickup option.
I absolutely agree. Some of the MII isn't too bad, but the lack of a Prestige RGA7 was terrible. I wouldn't have considered buying an RGA7 except that I had this 1527 neck and planned to do this from the get-go.

But, the RGA line from the beginning was focused on hardtails, so it's not too surprising the RGA7 was a hardtail. I much prefer trems, but it seems like a lot of 7 string guys don't. And the EMG routes are annoying, but assuming the rumors are true, all the major players soon will have soap-bar mount 7-string pickups available, so it shouldn't realy be a deal breaker.

I'd love to see the RGA return, but I really dislike the beveling/scalloping they did to the front horns on the later versions. Even on the current Bowen sig. If the RGA returned with that same shape, I'd probably pass anyway.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 01:02 AM

Reviews: 21

Yeah the old RGA shape was better IMO than the revised one later. I like trems too but I also like hardtails just as much. I'd like to get one of the old Prestige 6 fixed bridge RGA's myself. The MII RGA's weren't bad, especially with the Gibraltar fixed bridge, but they were all actives. A Premium RGA with, say, 36th Anniversary Dimarzio PAFs might be cool; a kind of bastardized RG with a bit of LP tonal quality. Just a thought....
Instead they targeted the RGA like the Iron Labels to the young metal crowd.
I nearly got the MII seven myself. Yours looks lots better!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode