NGD... probably best deal ever on a guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
NGD... probably best deal ever on a guitar

Yeah.. this one kind of fell in my lap. I've wanted one of these since I was a little boy, not exaggerating about that one.

So I worked night shift and had the next few days off, so my wife woke me up and told me to get out of bed and get some fresh air. I needed some guitar picks and decided to go to guitar center.

I pull up, and theres this white trash looking mofo getting out of this beat to hell truck, and he pulls out a case that looks like this...

Im naturally intrigued, being the EVH fan that I am. I tell him that thats an AWESOME case, and he kind of just glares at me and kept walking inside... Rude but whatever.

He goes up to the counter and he pulls out this beauty out of the box

The owner asks to speak to a manager, and Im eyeballing that thing so hard. The manager comes up, and they discuss selling it. The owner tells him "you're better off selling it on craigslist or ebay dude". The guy responds "nah I just need cash now, the pawn shop wont buy it", the manager tells him the price, and I about vomited. The man accepted and walked out the door, I IMMEDIATELY put it on layaway haha. Been waiting 15 days for this haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 PM

Re: NGD... probably best deal ever on a guitar

That is an amazing guitar and an amazing price! Nice score!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:52 PM

Reviews: 120

Nice find dude!
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 PM

Awesome find! Nice sandwich too. It's 8:27am here, and now I'm really, really hungry. lol @ it sitting ontop of the case.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I had to replace the damn saddles on the floyd already (RUSTED STIFF!!! The strings would come out! haha), and the 3 way switch is completely toast, so it's stuck in the middle position... I will be ordering parts from EBMM eventually, but for now I will stick a dimarzio 3 way and stick with the gotoh saddles.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 PM

Reviews: 120

Is the rest of the guitar in decent condition though? Looks ok from your photos. And again, no toes!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Is the rest of the guitar in decent condition though? Looks ok from your photos. And again, no toes!
actually yes! theres only a few VERY small dings, but the paint is fine. The dye hasn't faded like they normally do either! The neck was DISGUSTING, but it cleaned up well. The towel was white when I started, and now its disgusting brown and yellow haha.

frets need some work perhaps, but its fine for now. I may get some stainless fretwire installed in the future, but Im kinda anxious about "modding it" due to its serious collectibility. In 30-40 years, it may be worth quite a serious amount of coin. Certainly when EVH dies, these will spike in value.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 07:40 PM

Score. Of. The. Year. Congrats man! Green with envy. The EBMM EVH's are classics, and to get one for that is just insane!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightDies View Post
Score. Of. The. Year. Congrats man! Green with envy. The EBMM EVH's are classics, and to get one for that is just insane!
Thanks man!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:19 PM

Damn thats awesome! The one deal I cant believe I missed it when my friend sold his Ibanez LACS loaded with BKPs to guitar center without telling me first....he needed to sell it for medical reasons but he didnt tell me and I totally would have bought it for like 2-3 times what they paid him!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 AM

Wow! Great score!

How did it "smell" - it looks like one of those "from across the room" scents...
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 AM

Mother of god, that's one heck of a deal! Congrats!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisolson View Post
Wow! Great score!

How did it "smell" - it looks like one of those "from across the room" scents...
hahaha

the guitar case smells like your old grandmas couch that hasn't been replaced in 40 years. It's not very satisfying haha
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 02:35 PM

Wow, that is a score. Some people who own or buy simply don't know what they have. I knew a guy, for real, who had an Ibanez Benson GB-10 and he thought it was a cheap but OK rendition of a Gibson. With that stupid thought in mind, he traded his easily (then) $1,000 dollar used guitar for a $300 dollar no name 335 copy which is what I would call a cheap copy.

He was thrilled with the 335 copy and I had no room to criticize since he was Miles' guitarist. I guess when you are that good and live on an ocean front house in California it doesn't matter what you play or think. Had I known him sooner and took lessons from him then, I would have gladly bought any 335 copy, and quite a few used 335s and traded him for that Ibanez Benson.

I told that story to a buddy of mine who was flabbergasted in the stupidity of my teacher and then that buddy got his own Ibanez Benson. Talk about stupidity though, he left it unattended and it was run over by a car. But somehow he didn't stay sad for long when a Grammy came his way which would at least promise a lot more work making a replacement Benson quite likely.

To each his own.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 02:52 PM

Reviews: 18

Damn penguin, that was a steal! 400 bones for an EVH EBMM is crazy!

Congrats!

Jimmy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode