NGD Proline - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By StuckOffshore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

NGD Proline

So, I have a fetish with old junk (classic, vintage) guitars. My latest acquisition is an old pl2550. I've fallen in love with the old prolines. My first was a flying v that has gone through hell and back, purchased for $200, almost lost/stolen, etc, etc. I've always thought it played so well. As much as I've abused that guitar, it always gives back to me with one of the sweetest feeling necks. Came across this one, and have never owned one of the higher end models of prolines, so, had to find out what they hype is all about.
It's basically a soloist copy. Has a splittable humbucker and couple single coils. The button switching system is really neat. I was leary about it, and have read that most folks like it, but I honestly thought it was a bit gimmicky. It really is quicker to just tap a button in the middle of playing. Not sure I would want the system on another guitar, but it certainly works and seems much less gimmicky while using it. The pups aren't all that horrible, but my ears might be slightly jacked.
The neck is a bit different than my other bolt on prolines, big surprise. It is just as comfortable and pleasant to play. The only complaint about the neck, if any, is the width. This sucker is thin. I haven't measured it at all, but it is a couple mm thinner than every other neck I've played. Luckily, I don't have fat fingers. The strings are slightly crowded. Makes other guitars appear to have miles between the strings.
The finish isn't near perfect, but there are no cracks in the neck that are visible. All the switches, buttons, push pot, etc work. Couple fret issues higher up, but a level, crown, and polish ought to square that away and make her a dream to play.

Apologies for the long winded post, just not a lot online about these thigs other than "I had one back in the day and it was cool".
My attempt at pictures will follow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Re: NGD Proline

think I finally attached a picture....apologies for crappy sizing and quality...I have no idea how the whole attach a small picture thing is supposed to work...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (45.0 KB, 42 views)
jemsite likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:33 AM

Nice score! I recently picked one up and completely love it! I remember when these came out drooling over the ads in magazines way back when, then the RG 550s came out and my focus changed (and theere weren't exactly a lot of these around either). But now that I got one I've wondered why I didn't get one years ago.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 08:58 AM

Sweet! Yeah, they're seen by many as Soloist killers. I have a gold 1770 I love. Would like to add more to the stable, but they're climbing in price these days!

The neck on these is 41mm at the nut, so it's a bit on the narrower side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode