NGD - RG 550 Inside - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
NGD - RG 550 Inside

OK, I bought this thing about 2 weeks ago, but I've only just managed to get around to taking photo's of it and the best I could do is take them with my phone.....

I bought this baby of the bay for 1300 AUD, which in my opinion was an absolute steal. The person I bought it off was fanastic - bought it Sunday, it arrived Tuesday sealed in bubble wrap.

This is my first MIJ Ibanez and I have to say, it is just a supurb guitar. The neck it simply outstanding - it's effortless to play on and gets me that snap back when shredding on the maple neck. I was also suprised at the level of sustain this guitar had for a floating bridge guitar - she sings for ages......

Honestly, if you weren't sure about picking one of these up, I would say go for it, they are simply excellent value. I plan on keeping mine completely stock - I know some people complain about the pickups, but honestly they have more than enough output for me.

Last edited by AussiePGFan; 12-07-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:42 PM

Re: NGD - RG 550 Inside

LOL, what's up with the crappy pics?

THAT, my friend, is how you show off Road Flare Red!

Just kidding, I love mine, absolutely love it, so I know exactly how you feel. Enjoy it! Rock!

Peace

Mike
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
LOL, what's up with the crappy pics?

THAT, my friend, is how you show off Road Flare Red!

Just kidding, I love mine, absolutely love it, so I know exactly how you feel. Enjoy it! Rock!

Peace

Mike
HA! Yeah, I know, I will get some better pics up soon.... your pic seems to do the unique colour more justice.... Truly, it is one loud guitar!

Ammusingly my wife said it looks like a guitar Cyndi Lauper would use!!!! I promptly showed her the Ibanez catalogue with PG playing the same guitar and said if it's good enough for Paul, it's sure as hell good enough for me!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 08:42 AM

Love it, Congratz!! So what Ibanez guitars were you playing before this and how much better is the 550 in comparison?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:35 PM

Nice guitar!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 PM

It's a great guitar and keeping it stock is not a bad idea. Not sure what pups they used but they're better than the DiMarzio/IBZ ones.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:45 PM

Reviews: 13

Congrats! Very nice guitar. And that price sounds VERY reasonable!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.......

IbanezDaemon, I have a JS100 and a customised Jem 555 (put a maple neck on it and replaced the edge III with a Gotoh).... The 550's neck pummels both guitars....

Yeah, I agree with Jack, I personally think they are actually pretty nice sounding pickups. Apparently they are Vintage 7 and 8 Ibanez made pickups, with high output. You could do a lot worse!

And custom24, I was extremely suprised to put it away so cheaply - when I saw it I knew I had to grab it......
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Congrats. The stock pups aren't bad at all but I did change mine out for an EvoII in the bridge and a Mo Joe in the neck which really opened up the tone for me. I aded a bit more color to mine too. I really wished I had kept the DS version although I do still have and use my BK version.

~Bones
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiePGFan View Post
. . .

Yeah, I agree with Jack, I personally think they are actually pretty nice sounding pickups. Apparently they are Vintage 7 and 8 Ibanez made pickups, with high output. You could do a lot worse! . . .
I also like the pickups. Clear, loud, and voiced perfectly. They make the guitar so versatile, from Fender Strat tones on the middle single to screaming distorted humbucker tones on the bridge pup.

But I'm pretty sure they're Vintage1 and Vintage2.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 PM

Reviews: 30

I have never seen a color like RFR. It screams. Great catch.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:36 PM

I haz teh black one
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 05:36 PM

i love my DY so much, so enjoy it. They really are ace guitars those MXXs. I managed to get hold of an old EVO pup for the bridge and it slays now!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1993 View Post
I haz teh black one
That black one is also great! I know lots of people criticize black Ibanezes but that finish is so smooth and glossy.

Nice to hear about your DY, gumbo.

This thread got me all nostalgic for 2007 and I dug up the 167-page thread and read about thirty pages of it . . . that was a very exciting time for Ibanez fans.

Peace

Mike
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
That black one is also great! I know lots of people criticize black Ibanezes but that finish is so smooth and glossy.

Nice to hear about your DY, gumbo.

This thread got me all nostalgic for 2007 and I dug up the 167-page thread and read about thirty pages of it . . . that was a very exciting time for Ibanez fans.

Peace

Mike
Glad to hear I brought up a good time for you then mate......

The more I play the 550, the more I love it - this is defintely going to be my go to guitar for a long time..... she's a keeper, big time... I can't get over how good the neck is and the sustain......

Oh, and I think you are right, they Vintage 1 and 2's, some sites obviously listed the pickups incorrectly, but Rich has them listed as Vintage 1's and 2's - if that's what he says, then that's what they must be!

Tags
ibanez; rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode