NGD: RG1421, prestige hardtail - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

NGD: RG1421, prestige hardtail

hey guys, this just arrived today from rich, a used rg1421 with the tight end bridge.

only took about 5 days to get here from rich and it came in great shape. don't have time right now to restring and give a full setup, just did some minor adjustments to get it playable.

i've wanted a hardtail RG since i got my 2550z to complement it but they are such rare beasts so when i came upon this used one i just snapped it up.

first impressions were of the finish. after playing solid coloured guitars my whole life this was a nice change. while the top veneer might not be 100% symmetrical it's still beautiful and makes playing it a dream.

the tight end bridge is sick too. very lo-profile and smooth, haven't set it up yet but i'm sure it will be easy as cake. nice change from the edge zero on my rg2550z.

the tone of this thing even without a set up is such a change from my EZ 2550z guitar. the tone is just thicker and fuller in general, especially noticable on the low E and A strings. i was satisfied to hear it wail through an amp too, this thing just sings. the hardtail really makes a huge difference. fretboard is a bit dry but that's easily fixed.

i was also surprised how noticeable the extra 1mm off the neck thickness was compared to my other RG. only downsides to this guitar are that the fret ends aren't as polished/rounded as my '08 RG and ibanez has used "no name" brand tuners and cheaper input jack and strap buttons but these are all easily replaceable. the tuners seem fine anyway.

pretty impressed with the pickups too. i found the bridge quite similar to my tone zone in my 2550z which i liked. i don't really like the neck pickup at all though, seems quite fuzzy and not as full and deep as the PAF pro on my 2550. maybe i'll change them sometime.

sorry for the low quality pics, only got my phone right now.

my first RG included.

strange input jack. meh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Vendor

Re: NGD: RG1421, prestige hardtail

I was actually maintained, adjusted, board oiled, and tested before it left, not that you shouldn't adjust to taste now

The parts you mention are all Indo, that's where they went cost cutting cheap on these, but they really are just fine and work as intended. I'd only replace if you find them unsatisfactory over time.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I was actually maintained, adjusted, board oiled, and tested before it left, not that you shouldn't adjust to taste now

The parts you mention are all Indo, that's where they went cost cutting cheap on these, but they really are just fine and work as intended. I'd only replace if you find them unsatisfactory over time.
oh, really. i think the board just hasn't been played in yet. i've been playing the same RG for about 3 years now every day just about and i guess i'm way used to that guitars fretboard.

yep, the indo parts are fine. won't be replacing anything until it breaks/ceases to function as it should.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Vendor

Nothing leaves unplayable, which is how they come in.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Nothing leaves unplayable, which is how they come in.
true, i was thinking to myself "this doesn't seem like it's just left the factory..." when i unwrapped it lol. sure it was out of tune but playing well.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:59 AM
Vendor

Maybe the tuners got turned wrapping the head. Usually they stay in pretty much perfect tune.

One 1420 left and they're all gone! Yea!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 03:54 AM

Reviews: 14

Nice! I was curious about the Tightend bridge. I haven't had the opportunity to play one yet. It looks solid, though. Congrats!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 PM

Reviews: 2

Nice.. I got the 1420 F in black haze,,,,and liked it so much I bought the 1420F in Red Flame from Rich this past May. Both guitars now officially have a tone zone bridge and air norton neck pickup,,,which was a huge difference, really. I did buy new, high quality input jacks, but won't replace until needed. Also, the straplocks are gone as I install Schaller locking straplock buttons on all of my guitars. As for the tuners, well, my guitars have a locking nut, but I still plan on getting some Gotohs soon, just because. Honestly, as far as the woods and fit and finish and all else, these guitars are a dream to play and are pure amazing. I have two jems and a PGM, and these guitars are right on par with those guitars. The 1420's were quite a steal......a fairly low price for a prestige Ibanez .....just beautiful guitars.

Last edited by lynchfan6; 08-17-2011 at 04:22 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

yeah, thinking about getting another tone zone in the bridge just cause i'm so enamoured with that pickup.

not sure about the neck, don't want to get a paf pro as that would make the guitar too similar to my other RG, i was thinking maybe an air norton or something? i'm in no rush to replace them though.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 02:27 AM

Reviews: 11

id have gotten the one with the pencil under the clear

but i love that guitar soooo much. id put a white D-Activator-X set in there with some nice, heavy strings and find a nice, low tuning for it
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:02 PM

With Gotoh tuners, Dimarzio pickups, and upgraded input jack, etc...plus throw in a case....... I wonder how much these guitars would have went for? I mean the fit and finish and all is just wonderful,,,,flawless construction and awesome playability. Anyway, I've got as far as a case and Dimarzio pickups with my 1420F's so far. And for the maple veneer top,well,,,,even USA Jacksons use a veneer for their flame top, and it adds several hundred to the price.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

probably closer to a standard rg3550 or something. was slightly bummed to find out there's nothing to signify the guitar is a "10th anniversary prestige" issue either, not on the guitar and not even a little certificate or something. ah well, can't complain for the price.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
yeah, thinking about getting another tone zone in the bridge just cause i'm so enamoured with that pickup.

not sure about the neck, don't want to get a paf pro as that would make the guitar too similar to my other RG, i was thinking maybe an air norton or something? i'm in no rush to replace them though.
Yes!!!! The air norton is really cool. Mixes the glassy-ness of a single coil with the smooth, tonal , singing sound of like a Duncan '59. And the tone zone,,,I'm really loving that pickup. This has been my first experience with either pickup, and I'm very happy.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 11:27 AM

Such a good axe ! Btwn, I'm not a fan of Ibanez matched headstocks..

Tags
hardtail , ibanez , prestige , rg1421 , tight end

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode