NGD -RG1570- and a question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

NGD -RG1570- and a question

Just purchased my 1st Ibanez, a brand new RG1570 prestige!. I had been thinking about buying one for a few years and got a great deal on this one ($850 new) so I snagged it. It's not fancy (compared to some of these guitars you guys post here that are so awesome looking!) but it feels super solid and plays fantastic. I swapped out the V7/V8 for a crunchlab/liquifire and am really happy that I did, sounds killer. So far I am really pleased, the neck is amazing. I am so spoiled by this neck that I really don't want to play any other neck other than a Wizard. In fact, I sold my year old Carvin ST300, I couldn't even play it anymore.This brings me to my question...now I want to buy second guitar as I would like to have another for alternate tuning and also a backup for gigs (my Carvin was my 2nd which is now gone). I defiantly want an Ibanez but I don't think I want to spend more than $1200 and would prefer to stay around $800 or so (I am also only interested in new, not used). I would consider getting another RG1570, but the only color for the new ones are black, and I already have black. The next step up in the prestige line is $1500+ (RG3xxx and S) and more than I want to spend. I was considering one of the Premium RG1XXVs but I am worried about the quality compared to my prestige as I have heard mixed reviews. I was also considering going cheap and getting non-premium MII (S or RG370 maybe) and just swap the pickups and get it set up nicely, but again I hear mixed reviews. I know you generally get what you pay for, but sometimes you can get a good "cheap" guitar that plays exceptionally well for the cost. Unfortunately the stores around me don't stock many Ibbys so I can't go play 1/2 the catalog for myself, so any input would be great. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:41 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: NGD -RG1570- and a question

You may be able to find a new, discontinued RG1420F anniversary prestige for under $1000 new! I have two of them, and they get played as often or more than my PGM or Jems lately. I would not hesitate to recommend one, they are right on par with my signature Ibanez's as far as craftsmanship and playability. I did swap out the pickups for tone zones and air nortons, and had to buy a hardshell case for each, so I did invest a couple hundred more per guitar than I paid. But they are awesome. Since they are discontinued, I see them being clearanced for much less than I paid for mine when they first came out.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:42 PM

Reviews: 21

Kudos on the 1570. Looks very nice.
I'd get a used RG1570 or RG570. The cheap RG350's and RG370's are nice but I'd get one with an Edge Zero 2 if you go that route.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 PM

Congrats on the axe. I got my first prestige about a year and a half ago, also an RG1570. I've churned about five or six guitars since then but this one remains. It's got the mojo. It must have come from special trees or sumthin'

Keep your eye on CL. Like new Prestiges pop up regularly. The Bay, too but it sounds like you'll want to see it before you pull the trigger.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 12:07 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyninja View Post
Congrats on the axe. I got my first prestige about a year and a half ago, also an RG1570. I've churned about five or six guitars since then but this one remains. It's got the mojo. It must have come from special trees or sumthin'

Keep your eye on CL. Like new Prestiges pop up regularly. The Bay, too but it sounds like you'll want to see it before you pull the trigger.

To me, the mojo is in the Ibanez necks. I have other guitars of different brands that never get played anymore, as the necks on my Ibanez guitars have totally hooked me. Nothing else is even close to comfortable for me anymore.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
You may be able to find a new, discontinued RG1420F anniversary prestige for under $1000 new! I have two of them, and they get played as often or more than my PGM or Jems lately. I would not hesitate to recommend one, they are right on par with my signature Ibanez's as far as craftsmanship and playability. I did swap out the pickups for tone zones and air nortons, and had to buy a hardshell case for each, so I did invest a couple hundred more per guitar than I paid. But they are awesome. Since they are discontinued, I see them being clearanced for much less than I paid for mine when they first came out.
I couldn't find anyone who stocks the RG1420F anymore online. I see Rich has one but it is fixed bridge and I would want a trem. They are sweet though, I should have bought one last year when I was looking at them. The RGA72TQME looks nice too. The mahogany body and EMGs would be something different than my 1570. Its not a premium or a prestige though, so I wonder about the build quality. Anyone have any experience with the RGA?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

$800 seems a bit much for the RGA when it is not even a premium. I know for sure none of my local stores have this either, bummer as I would like to try it out to see if it feels like an $800 guitar.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
To me, the mojo is in the Ibanez necks. I have other guitars of different brands that never get played anymore, as the necks on my Ibanez guitars have totally hooked me. Nothing else is even close to comfortable for me anymore.

Yeah...the neck is addictive. I'm struggling right now with my next guitar. I have the 1570 and also a 2610z I'm trying to sell, but I'm kind of on the fence as the whether I really want to. Variety is nice...but a part of me says keep it constant and practice with the same neck and bridge, which speaks to the OP's question, too.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyordeath View Post
Its not a premium or a prestige though, so I wonder about the build quality. Anyone have any experience with the RGA?
My feeling is don't go backwards because you'll regret it. Every guitar you buy is going to have to stand next to your 1570 and feel as good or better. Anything less and you'll just keep churning guitars and wasting money.

I've never done that myself...just heard about other people...
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyninja View Post
My feeling is don't go backwards because you'll regret it. Every guitar you buy is going to have to stand next to your 1570 and feel as good or better. Anything less and you'll just keep churning guitars and wasting money.

I've never done that myself...just heard about other people...
That does make sense. I will say though, prestige or not, this looks very badass for $1300ish: http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-JEM70V I wonder how that would compare, the hardware all seems high quality.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 AM

I played a few Premiums at a local shop and was very impressed.

Necks felt great, the p/ups sounded pretty good, if a little high output for my taste, and giving it a once over on the finish it was almost flawless.

It's a 'not quite' Prestige, but for the money, based on the guitars I've played, it's well worth what you pay for it.

I'm seriously considering getting one when I get back on my feet. I'd like to get an RG1XXV but I'm not thrilled with the colors, for one, and two: here in the USA they don't offer the Premium gig bag with it, beats me why.

Check them out, if you can, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 03:01 AM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyordeath View Post
That does make sense. I will say though, prestige or not, this looks very badass for $1300ish: http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-JEM70V I wonder how that would compare, the hardware all seems high quality.
congrats on your new RG1570 - she is a beauty! how do you like the EZ bridge? The Jem is a beauty too but she has a different bridge with the Edge trem so I think you need to decide which hardware you are willing to go with because that makes a big difference in the decision making process. I wouldn't rule out used - there are some great deals out there on CL...
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
congrats on your new RG1570 - she is a beauty! how do you like the EZ bridge? The Jem is a beauty too but she has a different bridge with the Edge trem so I think you need to decide which hardware you are willing to go with because that makes a big difference in the decision making process. I wouldn't rule out used - there are some great deals out there on CL...
I really like the EZ bridge quite a bit. It feels really solid, and it does not go out of tune. Granted, I don't go crazy on it, but it keeps in near perfect tune. I like it better than OFRs I have had and that says allot. That is one of the reasons I would be worried about getting a premium, due to the fact it has the EZII (cheaper build quality). As far as the premium JEM, I'd be good with the edge trem. I have played JEMs before and thought they were fantastic, especially the edge. I am seriously considering getting the Jem70v as a second guitar, reason being it has prestige/Jem quality hardware, and I haven't heard many complaints about the premium's play-ability. I could probably catch one on a store promo for $1200 or so when they come out. I don't think I would be going backwards, but I guess I'd have to play it to find out (on paper it doesn't seem so though).
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Looks like Rich has some Killer guitars on 'clearance'! You could probably get a great deal on one of the Prestige guitars he has at the price range you mentioned. Just a thought
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Looks like Rich has some Killer guitars on 'clearance'! You could probably get a great deal on one of the Prestige guitars he has at the price range you mentioned. Just a thought
Yeah I noticed he has some of last years 1570s in other colors. Problem is I was going to order from ******* or AMS and use the 4-payment plan as I sold my Carvin and the guy is paying me in installments. This way I don't have to use my own money (or much of it) to buy another Ibby. I could save and wait a few months but I don't see Rich having them in stock that long.

Tags
ngd 1570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode