NGD: RG20063 content! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 39
NGD: RG20063 content!

Well, after a lengthy hiadus from here, allow me to make this triumphant new NGD.

I have tried to get the original owner (my coworker) to come off this fine piece of art for the past 3 years since I found out he had it!

P.S. for those of you that haven't had the opportunity to play one of these fine guitars, it is surprisingly bright, and far less output than i'm used to. That being said, i'm in a huge internal philosophical debate with myself on if I should change out the pickups or keep it as the luthiers originally intended their vision to be.

I'm 110% open to suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 06:15 AM

Re: NGD: RG20063 content!

I've never seen one of these... It's awesome! Congrats and HNGD!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:00 AM

Love those I'm in the 'swap the pickups' camp for most guitars, though I recently sold a '79 AR-300 because I thought it sounded too thin. On this one though, since it came with IBZ pickups, I would swap the pickups if you don't like the sound, and then I would play the frets clean off it Just wrap these in a bit of bubble wrap and put 'em in a parts drawer or something.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 01:10 PM

That is a beauty! I had tried to get one from the dealer up here who had one sitting on the shelves for over 6 years and wouldn't budge. I remember what I offered him for it. It sat for another 2 years and then he sold it for much less than what I offered him. Fool he was.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm_dias View Post
I've never seen one of these... It's awesome! Congrats and HNGD!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Love those I'm in the 'swap the pickups' camp for most guitars, though I recently sold a '79 AR-300 because I thought it sounded too thin. On this one though, since it came with IBZ pickups, I would swap the pickups if you don't like the sound, and then I would play the frets clean off it Just wrap these in a bit of bubble wrap and put 'em in a parts drawer or something.
Man...talk about a killer neck!! It feels like a Super Wizard up by the nut end and goes down to a Wizard I at the heel! the profile is super flat like a Wiz I too - it begs to be shredded silly! I've been considering a D-Activator/Air Norton combo. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
That is a beauty! I had tried to get one from the dealer up here who had one sitting on the shelves for over 6 years and wouldn't budge. I remember what I offered him for it. It sat for another 2 years and then he sold it for much less than what I offered him. Fool he was.
Indeed. Sounds like the music shop where I used to work. The owner was a grade A d-bag of the worst sort.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicProvocateur View Post
Thank you!

Indeed. Sounds like the music shop where I used to work. The owner was a grade A d-bag of the worst sort.
^^^^

"Oh yeah man, the setup on this guitar was soooo awfulllll, I did about 200 dollars worth of work for ya, just by the way. It's now completely optimized."

Take it home, readjust the action, level the neck, see that the strings don't fit in the nut at all. Curse the elder gods and get on with my life.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 12:43 AM

I never tried any Dimarzio IBZ usa pickups on a prestige guitar.
But I heard from a friend that he said the dimarzio IBZ on his prestige awfully bright.
If I were you, it's definitely a pickup change in order.
you said it's bright and less output? so, perhaps I'll put tone zone and paf pro combo on it.
If you feel more metal, then super 3 and paf pro.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:39 AM

I'll be the voice of reason here:

If you think it's too bright, get a Duncan perpetual burn and a 59 or Carvin C22B and C22J pickups. I'll be the first to say that as much as people dump on Carvin Pups, they are SOLID and sound great, while sounding different than most pickups out there. You could also go with the M22T/M22V combo as well (don't do the SD, it's carvin's highest output pup and while it sounds fine in my super bright JB200, you may not like it).
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 01:09 PM

I say leave original. That guitar is beautiful and rare. Enjoy it for what it is!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 74 View Post
I say leave original. That guitar is beautiful and rare. Enjoy it for what it is!
Just saying, sometimes enjoying it for what it is includes a bit of resentment for what it could be Bottom line is if it sounds great leave it, if not, change those pickups out for something you do like.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Just saying, sometimes enjoying it for what it is includes a bit of resentment for what it could be Bottom line is if it sounds great leave it, if not, change those pickups out for something you do like.
I won't argue ;o)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 12:43 PM

Reviews: 21

I like the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups but I'd say they're probably not perfect on every guitar. I think the bridge sounds like a slightly brighter yet a tad muddier version of a Super Distortion. On my fixed bridge basswood RG921 it sounds great. Not a super huge fan of the Dimarzio/IBZ neck pickup though.
This being a mahogany body with a maple top I'd switch them out. Maybe to a Tone Zone or a Super 3 in the bridge?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 04:33 PM

I agree that the Dimarzio IBZ USA pickups are a little on the bright side, most balanced pickups I've dropped into a Prestige recently that sound great for everything from high gain to slightly overdriven to totally clean is the Dimarzio EVO 2s. My favorite pickups right now. Great sustain & harmonics, not too bright but not too bassy either with smooth mids.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:04 AM

Reviews: 10

Awesome guitar - congrats!!! You should swap the pups with... (insert fave pup here)... I just put a Dimarzio AT-1 in the bridge of one of my Ibbies and that is my new fave bridge pup =) I also put a PAF 36 in the neck and they seem to match very well
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 04:28 PM

Awesome guitar. Certainly an iconic Prestige model. Well done!!

What sort of sound are you looking to get Sonic??

I never really liked those DM/IBZ pickups, thought they
sounded really thin in most guitars I owned that were
equipped with them.

My all time fave neck pickup is the DiMarzio Paf Pro.

I'd look into BKP's as well but obviously do your research
as regards wiring/routing etc.

I have Nailbombs in a Daemoness I own and they are awesome,
lots of lower register filth coupled with being very articulate for leads
even at super high gain levels. They also clean up very well for buckers
as well.

Tags
puzzle , puzzle top , rg20063

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode