NGD - RG3120 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Thumbs up NGD - RG3120

This weekend I said good bye to my 2000 sour apple RG570 in exchange for a 2003 RG3120. I had to add a little cash but well but it was well worth it.
Don't get me wrong.. I loved my 570 but when the chance to get an RG3120 came along, I couldn't pass it up.....
[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 07:13 AM

Re: NGD - RG3120

Congrats man. Love those 3120s wish I never sold my red one
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 07:33 AM

that's one killer flame...
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 03:04 PM

Great score man, the RG3120 is one of my favorites Prestige guitars, its pure win all around.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

updated Ibanez family picture against my ugly purple walls....

RG1451 and RG3120
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 04:59 PM

Congrats to a good looking 3120!

I have a bunch of those and some of them are fantastic guitars.
One of them are the second best guitar I ever tried, I love it.

/Magnus
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 12:48 AM

Reviews: 5

That's a beautiful instrument. Too bad you had to say goodbye to the sour apple; those are great guitars too.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:34 PM

Reviews: 10

that is a gorgeous guitar!!! nice flame! I also prefer the fret markers off center like that...I really like the look of that guitar! You can't go wrong with the Prestige models.

btw - did you find that locally here in the lower mainland? I scour craigslist daily here and I don't remember seeing that one come up.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

It was on Craigslist... he was looking to trade. The ad was still up as of today on the Vancouver Craigslist.
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/msg/5175672033.html

I offered my RG570, he liked but suggested some cash on top.... I agreed. We met on Saturday and did the swap.
I had played 2 RG3120's before and this one sure doesn't disappoint.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:01 PM

Reviews: 2

Very nice,,,,after seeing so many pics of these twilight 3120's, the color seems to look so cool and yet different in different lighting. I've got two, 3120DR and 3120VV, that I've been playing a lot lately, now thanks to you, I'm jonesing for a blue one.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
Congrats to a good looking 3120!

I have a bunch of those and some of them are fantastic guitars.
One of them are the second best guitar I ever tried, I love it.

/Magnus

Just curious, what's your current "best?" By the way, you are an AMAZING guitarist! So, in that light, can I please ask you a question about sweep picking that's really on my mind? I'm really proficient at the Paul Gilbert string skip arpeggios, and I've been really upping my game on the sweeps. So here's the million dollar question: say someones chugging an Am chord for four beats then goes to D for four beats. So, which arpeggios go over the Am chord,,,,,,just various Am postions sweeps? And just D sweeps over D? I notice that a lot of MAB lessons (BATIO), he seems to sweep in that fashion, staying true to the underlying root chord, but doing those sweeps in different positions. However, Paul Gilbert would most often play a string skipped C major arpeggio over an Am chord. Magnus, you are a shredmaster..........what's your train of thought on what arpeggios to use over what chords? I know there are technically no rules, but seems to me the most common would be to either stay true to the root chord or to use the major third chord over a minor chord (like a C over an Am) or the major 6th over a major chord (like an Em shape over a G major chord) Am I correct in this thinking?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:54 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's not here View Post
It was on Craigslist... he was looking to trade. The ad was still up as of today on the Vancouver Craigslist.
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/msg/5175672033.html

I offered my RG570, he liked but suggested some cash on top.... I agreed. We met on Saturday and did the swap.
I had played 2 RG3120's before and this one sure doesn't disappoint.
Now that I see the ad I do recall seeing that...

Great score - I think you did well upgrading to the Prestige! nice that it came with Dimarzios! congrats!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
Just curious, what's your current "best?" By the way, you are an AMAZING guitarist! So, in that light, can I please ask you a question about sweep picking that's really on my mind? I'm really proficient at the Paul Gilbert string skip arpeggios, and I've been really upping my game on the sweeps. So here's the million dollar question: say someones chugging an Am chord for four beats then goes to D for four beats. So, which arpeggios go over the Am chord,,,,,,just various Am postions sweeps? And just D sweeps over D? I notice that a lot of MAB lessons (BATIO), he seems to sweep in that fashion, staying true to the underlying root chord, but doing those sweeps in different positions. However, Paul Gilbert would most often play a string skipped C major arpeggio over an Am chord. Magnus, you are a shredmaster..........what's your train of thought on what arpeggios to use over what chords? I know there are technically no rules, but seems to me the most common would be to either stay true to the root chord or to use the major third chord over a minor chord (like a C over an Am) or the major 6th over a major chord (like an Em shape over a G major chord) Am I correct in this thinking?
The best Ibanez I ever played are a stock JEM7D-BK.
It is just a next to magic copy of a guitar that sings in a very pleasant way.
It acctually so when I used it at clinics did even the audience hear that it just sounded a bit better than anything ells used. I didn't want a guitar like that, but after a couple of weeks of clinics did I just have to get it. It is so light that you think something is wrong with, that it's hollow or something. The one used here (even if it doesn't sound good there due to a shifty videocamera). http://youtu.be/dPQtlPMg8zw

With all that said, I never ever use it, just because it is ugly, and a JEM :-)

Thanks for liking my playing, makes me happy to hear it. Thanks!

To your question, I don't really play much sweeps down to the reason that I don't really love the sound of that tecnique very much. But playing over you example would I think like I always do (well, I don't really think anymore, I try to use my ears) and if it was supposed to be something on the faster side of things.
What I do are knowing where the right notes are over any given chord then I try to create melody with the contour of the lines I play tying those "right" notes together.
So inspelad of thinking, that arpeggio, a bit of that scale, this arpeggio, do I try to create a melody using the shape of the lines I play (I mean the melody you get from how the notes move over the fretboard).
The shape/contour of the lines will be built up by parts of arpeggios, scales, licks ect.
The contour can be creating just a melody building up to a new melody (let's say over a vamp over the same chord) or something that builds up a tension for the note I aim at ending the line at. Or something that builds a tension that hints what notes (and chords) that will be coming ahead.

Basically (even if it isn't that simple) trying to have a "what sound do I want" approach rather than a "what can I use theoretically". It do demand that you have been through the theory and have good ears (or shipped the theory because your ears was good enough already, I was not that lucky).

Hope that is understandable?

/Magnus
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
The best Ibanez I ever played are a stock JEM7D-BK.
It is just a next to magic copy of a guitar that sings in a very pleasant way.
It acctually so when I used it at clinics did even the audience hear that it just sounded a bit better than anything ells used. I didn't want a guitar like that, but after a couple of weeks of clinics did I just have to get it. It is so light that you think something is wrong with, that it's hollow or something. The one used here (even if it doesn't sound good there due to a shifty videocamera). http://youtu.be/dPQtlPMg8zw

With all that said, I never ever use it, just because it is ugly, and a JEM :-)

Thanks for liking my playing, makes me happy to hear it. Thanks!

To your question, I don't really play much sweeps down to the reason that I don't really love the sound of that tecnique very much. But playing over you example would I think like I always do (well, I don't really think anymore, I try to use my ears) and if it was supposed to be something on the faster side of things.
What I do are knowing where the right notes are over any given chord then I try to create melody with the contour of the lines I play tying those "right" notes together.
So inspelad of thinking, that arpeggio, a bit of that scale, this arpeggio, do I try to create a melody using the shape of the lines I play (I mean the melody you get from how the notes move over the fretboard).
The shape/contour of the lines will be built up by parts of arpeggios, scales, licks ect.
The contour can be creating just a melody building up to a new melody (let's say over a vamp over the same chord) or something that builds up a tension for the note I aim at ending the line at. Or something that builds a tension that hints what notes (and chords) that will be coming ahead.

Basically (even if it isn't that simple) trying to have a "what sound do I want" approach rather than a "what can I use theoretically". It do demand that you have been through the theory and have good ears (or shipped the theory because your ears was good enough already, I was not that lucky).

Hope that is understandable?

/Magnus

Thanks for the reply,,,,,I kinda expected this response, as there are no rules and technically if it really sounds good, then it is. I do know my theory really well, and so that's why I was fishing to see if there was some "rule" on long lines of sweeping arpgeggios. I think what I wrote in my message sounds best for arpeggio shapes, so I'm sticking to those. I'm not really big into sweeps either, but have been working on it a lot as I want to be able to do it when I find I want to use it. In addition to listening and following the ear, I'm way more of a scale/shape based player myself rather than the arpeggio/follow the "every chord" player, but I know it's great to have a mastery of both of those fields of playing. I was taught a long time ago that these were technically the two fields of lead based playing that everyone falls into, and that it's best to be able to do both.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Now that I see the ad I do recall seeing that...

Great score - I think you did well upgrading to the Prestige! nice that it came with Dimarzios! congrats!
Yes.. I'm glad I did the deal......has the stock Tone Zone and PAF.

Sadly, I put a Tone Zone and Air Norton in my RG1451.... and I am really missing the JP set I put in the 570.

Last edited by Dave's not here; 09-04-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode