NGD RG3120 Deep Red - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

NGD RG3120 Deep Red

What's up everyone! I am pretty new here as I have not had an Ibanez for some time now. My first electric was a cheap Ibanez and later I had a RGT42 which I sold and posted on this forum some years back.

Anyway, my interest in these rekindled and I really fell in love with the RG3120 and its specs. I found one in deep red which came from one of the forum members here (Jack Secret). So this is not really a new guitar as it is apparently from 98 and has a quilt deep red finish. It's interesting to me because from all the 3120s, I've never seen a quilt top. Anyway, for a 14 year old guitar it has been taken care of VERY well. There are almost no marks on this guitar.

Once I received it, I did a complete set-up with 10s. Cleaned up the fretboard with some Ernie Ball wonder wipes (fretboard conditioner) which is great and also used some 0000 steel wool to get the frets nice and shiny. Had to tighten the neck screws as it was shifting with some extreme trem use. I took the trem out and inspected everything...the knife edges are still in great shape, but may need a little bit of filing. I also intonated and set the proper trem angle with the 10s.

The neck is unbelievably sturdy. So far I did not have to touch the truss rod...the thing is freakin nice and straight.

Frets are in great shape and dont have much buzzing at all.

Now the only thing I had to figure out was the loose trem arm. The washers were worn out already and the trem arm was also wobbling back and forth. So of course I found a thread on here where someone suggested to use nail polish under the washers...this worked GREAT! Now everything is nice and solid and sounds absolutely killer.

Oh, and the electronics are in great shape too! Still all original. I had no noise issues at all. I used some contact cleaner just in case to clean it all out. The wiring was done pretty nice on this guitar.

I actually like the Tone Zone and PAF Pro a lot on this guitar. It sounds really TIGHT. I have no idea how some people can get a muddy tone from this guitar with those pickups.

Only thing I'm not so sure about is the cap used for the treble bleed. I like that it does not get muddy rolling off the volume, but to an extent it seems to be a little too bright and I'm not used to this taper where most of the roll off is in the lower register.

Anyway, this is my quick introduction and also review and opinions on this guitar. Thing is really killer. I would really love to have the Twilight Blue as well, but I'm actually liking the deep red a lot. It does not have the nicest quilt but I dont care about that too much. My Music Man Y2D covers the insane quilt top ground .

I'll try and post pics as soon as I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:23 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: NGD RG3120 Deep Red

Wow, you got Jack's 3120??? I didn't think he'd EVER sell that one. He's bought and sold a LOT of high-end guitars, but that was his "baby". You a very luck man Grim. Very few of us get to buy a used guitar from someone that loved and cared for them the way Jack did.

Welcome to the 3120 club!!! the guitar that I really think is Ibanez' crowning achievement.

I know many of us have seen her before, but if you get new pics be sure to post them ASAP!!!!

Ryc
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Yea I think it was the perfect timing and meant to be. I kind of bought it from him impulsively and I'm really glad. I was really hoping to snatch a Twilight Blue 3120 as I really love that color, but I could not find one anywhere. And also my patience was running thin as I was only down to 1 guitar that did not have a trem! He turned out to be a great fellow and I'm definitely lucky to find this great guitar that was owned by someone who cared for the instrument. And I like the red a lot especially with the black headstock...deep red is always cool!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:23 PM

Reviews: 2

Best 3120 DR ever!!! Jack got a lot of compliments on it....NOW IT'S YOU TURN!!!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 06:47 PM

I'm still confused about how this guitar ended up with a quilt top? What is the serial number on the headstock say? Otherwise, congrats on a great guitar!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Yea I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it was a one off to test what the deep red would look like on a quilt? And maybe they kind of didnt want to use one of the NICE quilt tops? I like it a lot either way and dont care that it's not one of the crazy quilts. The serial number is F98 20258 on this one.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:07 AM

There's also the fact that Ibanez didn't make these in deep red until 2002. This could be a one off; a special run ordered by gc, sa, etc; or pieced together from more than one guitar. In any case, it is very nice.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 AM

Very interesting. The neck is definitely a '98 at least.

I found this, it might be what it is:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary_...at_id=16&now=5

It could be a '97 J.Custom RG1822 with an RG3120 neck. Someone may have wanted the JC neck with the matching headstock for a different red guitar. The pickups would be right, the hardware color is right. All someone would have to do is put some cosmo knobs on, which would be easy.

I'd love to get a look at the stamp in the neck pocket. Is the input jack on the guitar angled or standard?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
It could be a '97 J.Custom RG1822 with an RG3120 neck. Someone may have wanted the JC neck with the matching headstock for a different red guitar. The pickups would be right, the hardware color is right. All someone would have to do is put some cosmo knobs on, which would be easy.

I'd love to get a look at the stamp in the neck pocket. Is the input jack on the guitar angled or standard?
Could be something like that, my '97 3120 has 3180 stamp (bought new at the time)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

There is no way it's an 1822 if according to that spec sheet it says Alder with Quilt. Mine is definitely mahogany. That was pretty close though. I am really interested in this myself. I'll take a look at the neck pocket when I get a chance and I'll let you know.

Oh and the input jack is standard. You can see it in one of the pics above of the back I took.

Last edited by Grimlord; 03-24-2012 at 07:45 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 AM

It was time for it to go. Wasn't using it anymore and I promised myself if there's a guitar I no longer used, sell it off to a good home. Few more Ibanez to go, honestly, when I have the chance to put them up. Even going to try and sell off the Fireman. Just not a guitar I play and believe me, I bought it to play, not to leave it in its case and attempt to accrue value. I have one Carvin in and 3 more coming this week and that's where my heart lies now guitar-wise along with my Caparisons. I may even sell off the '87 RG560 in carotene orange. Still deciding between that and the Ralph Santolla LA Custom. Only 2 Ibanez off the list is the PII copy and my Necro Castle since she's too beat up to sell. One of my favorites to play though. Never goes out of tune.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlord View Post
There is no way it's an 1822 if according to that spec sheet it says Alder with Quilt. Mine is definitely mahogany. That was pretty close though. I am really interested in this myself. I'll take a look at the neck pocket when I get a chance and I'll let you know.

Oh and the input jack is standard. You can see it in one of the pics above of the back I took.
Yeah, I found another picture of an 1822 and it didn't have a masked binding either. There are occasional oddballs out there. Looks like you might have one. Still love to see the neck stamps though.

If you want to do it, pull the back cover and measure where the claw is so that you can return it pretty much to the same place. Block up the trem with some folded up cardboard underneath and then start loosening up the strings. I like to loosen them way up while pulling them taught and then tighten down the lock nuts so they stay with a nice big bow of loose wire. When you loosen all six strings, remove the spring lock plate and back out the trem claw until you can pull the springs off by hand. As you pull the last one off, make sure you're supporting the trem with one hand so it doesn't just come tumbling out. Then you can pull the neck off.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Well I guess it's one of those oddballs than. As Jack told me he bought it new at Sam Ash, so maybe a special run or something. No matter now...completely satisfied and at this point am not doubting this is an awesome 3120.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 PM

I know one is a prestige and one isnt, but what are the big differences between a 3120 (which I have one in TW) and these 520's I see popping up with the "sapele" top?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode