NGD RG3XXV - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

NGD RG3XXV

A new guitar arrived at my doorstep today. An RG3XXV that is in like new condition, kind of a spur of the moment thing. I barely had time to unbox it tonight and check it out. I have to learn about the trem and how to tell when it's level... and this is my first guitar with a maple fretboard. The story is... I've really been playing my old Charvel a LOT. A neat little guitar that is a blast to play, but I had to block off the tremolo it was so bad. I was on the verge of buying a tremsetter for it, then I saw this little RG for sale and went for it.. planning to sell my old Charvel to help cover the cost.

So I thought I would put them side by side... amazing how similar they are. One from 1990 and one from 2012... looks to be a solid replacement for the Charvel. I'm just having a hard time gearing myself up to let go of the old thing. Plays like a dream and stays in tune like a Les Paul with the trem blocked off... sounds fantastic with the EMG 81 & SA in it... but it sucks to have no tremolo when you want it!

Anywho, can't wait for some free time to set the trem and tune this new one up and see how it sounds!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 08:14 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: NGD RG3XXV

Congratulations. Love those guitars so much. Will be a killer one for you for sure!
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 09:54 AM

looks great!
but why not change the trem on the charvel?
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Congratulations. Love those guitars so much. Will be a killer one for you for sure!
Thanks LP... I hope you are right! I've always thought they were cool too. I looked up info on adjusting the trem last night, so hopefully later today I can get it set up and rockin'...

Quote:
looks great!
but why not change the trem on the charvel?
I'm not super smart about tremolos. The Charvel has a Schaller Floyd... the problem is that it would stay very flat or sharp, whichever way you used the bar last. Is that a sign of wear on the knife edges and posts? Do you think a new tremolo would fix it? I wasn't sure, so I didn't want to put a bunch of money into a new trem and have it do the same thing. So at the time it seemed to make sense in my mind to just get the guitar with the more stable trem on it and sell the Charvel.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 10:56 AM

i have no idea. maybe that's a common issue with these bridges/guitar model? i'm sure someone found a solution for this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 12:41 PM

Reviews: 2

Very nice man!!! I was SERIOUSLY considering buying this one but I already have a 3xxv in CA. Do I like them enough to have two identical guitars??? HELL YEAH!!

I don't know if Vaibanez bought his from Rich or not....if he did- your good to go. If not, there MAY be some quirks that need to be ironed out. I can help if you need to go that route.

Anyway, congrats man! the 3xxv is a quality instrument. It should last you as long or longer than the Charvy did.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 06:45 PM

So that's what you've been busy with the past couple days

I forgot, what bridge does the 3xxv have? EZII?
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 07:14 PM

Reviews: 6

sounds like the knife edges on the charvel...a new schaller trem can be had for less than 200 that will pop right on and solve the problem...i'd say keep both guitars if you can afford to...d.m.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Very nice man!!! I was SERIOUSLY considering buying this one but I already have a 3xxv in CA. Do I like them enough to have two identical guitars??? HELL YEAH!!

I don't know if Vaibanez bought his from Rich or not....if he did- your good to go. If not, there MAY be some quirks that need to be ironed out. I can help if you need to go that route.

Anyway, congrats man! the 3xxv is a quality instrument. It should last you as long or longer than the Charvy did.
Well.. after spending some time with it tonight, it definitely has some quirks to work out. There might be a learning curve on my end, but I couldn't get the trem to sit level and be touching the little stop bar. I'll re-read the manual and tackle it again another day. The other issue is that when fretting the high e on the 18th fret, it "frets out" on the 19th fret. Plus the edges of the frets are very jagged and sharp.

Quote:
So that's what you've been busy with the past couple days

I forgot, what bridge does the 3xxv have? EZII?
Been working on the house every spare minute while the sun is shining, not much spare time lately! The RG3xxv does have the Edge Zero II... maybe you can give me some pointers on setting it up right! I read the manual at like 1am last night, so maybe I read something wrong ... lol.

Quote:
sounds like the knife edges on the charvel...a new schaller trem can be had for less than 200 that will pop right on and solve the problem...i'd say keep both guitars if you can afford to...d.m.
Thanks for the info. I figured that a new tremolo (or even a tremsetter) would get it more stable, but I was hesitant to spend the money on the chance that it would still not be reliable. Until I get the RG3xxv sorted out the Charvel isn't going anywhere. There is just something about it that feels different than any other guitar I've owned.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 03:43 AM

The EZII is just like any Floyd Rose, just gotta be careful with it. I intonated it myself one time, BIGGEST pain in the butt (loosen 1 string, unscrew the saddle screw, adjust, retune, rinse and repeat). Use Rich's site for intonation, that's what I used to do it myself.

The fretting out and jagged fret ends sounds normal for these guitars (based on everything I've seen Rich say about it). Need to take care of that either on your own or through a luthier.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 12:44 PM

Reviews: 6

the reason i say keep both is one has maple and one is rosewood...even with same pickups they'd have a different tone...

on the charvel, when not strung up, do the trem posts wiggle?...if so wrap a small bit of plumber's tape around the loose ones...check and make sure no cracks in the wood between trem posts and bridge pickups (ibanezes can crack there too)...and finally check locking nut for grooves under clamps and make sure it is properly tightened down...if none of those problems are present then it's time to get a new schaller (made in germany...get the real thing, don't go cheap...real schallers last years and years...and no all floyds are not created equal)...d.m.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablomozart View Post
the reason i say keep both is one has maple and one is rosewood...even with same pickups they'd have a different tone...

on the charvel, when not strung up, do the trem posts wiggle?...if so wrap a small bit of plumber's tape around the loose ones...check and make sure no cracks in the wood between trem posts and bridge pickups (ibanezes can crack there too)...and finally check locking nut for grooves under clamps and make sure it is properly tightened down...if none of those problems are present then it's time to get a new schaller (made in germany...get the real thing, don't go cheap...real schallers last years and years...and no all floyds are not created equal)...d.m.
OR.......... sell it to me

As for the xxv? get the little fret dressing file from stewmac. It's cheap and softens up those prone ends in no time. It's actually kinda fun to do sitting in front of a Bears game....... If the combination of the level and fret ends bother you too much- send the neck to me and I'll take care of it for 'ya. I'll also tape your nut in place..........
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablomozart View Post

Thanks for the pointers... I'll check those areas out. I replaced the locking nut clamps shortly after I bought it. I don't see any cracks between the trem posts and bridge pickup, but I'll inspect it better next time I have the strings off. It's a very well made little guitar and really deserves to be fixed up. Hopefully I can find a way to keep both!

Quote:
OR.......... sell it to me

As for the xxv? get the little fret dressing file from stewmac. It's cheap and softens up those prone ends in no time. It's actually kinda fun to do sitting in front of a Bears game....... If the combination of the level and fret ends bother you too much- send the neck to me and I'll take care of it for 'ya. I'll also tape your nut in place..........
If I do you get first pick...

I actually watch some youtube videos on leveling a high fret. Looks to be something I can do. Not sure about the ends though... Is there a certain kind of fret dressing file I should get? Does it do both the ends and the crown? I would really like to learn more about setting up a guitar properly. Taking care of a high fret would be handy to know. Maybe I can use this guitar as an opportunity to learn more about fret work. I really appreciate the offer, but I may give it a try first. Not sure about the nut taping though... lol...
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Thanks for the pointers... I'll check those areas out. I replaced the locking nut clamps shortly after I bought it. I don't see any cracks between the trem posts and bridge pickup, but I'll inspect it better next time I have the strings off. It's a very well made little guitar and really deserves to be fixed up. Hopefully I can find a way to keep both!

If I do you get first pick...

I actually watch some youtube videos on leveling a high fret. Looks to be something I can do. Not sure about the ends though... Is there a certain kind of fret dressing file I should get? Does it do both the ends and the crown? I would really like to learn more about setting up a guitar properly. Taking care of a high fret would be handy to know. Maybe I can use this guitar as an opportunity to learn more about fret work. I really appreciate the offer, but I may give it a try first. Not sure about the nut taping though... lol...
Honestly, leveling and dressing frets is pretty straight forward. The hard part is the investment in tools to do it properly. Of course there's an "art form" to it....... My fretwork is a lot better than most of the "luthiers" around me, but it's a joke compared to others.......and then there's Rich. He makes the guys that make me look bad, look bad.......LOL. It's all about repetition and coming up with your own process. You can do it with some basic tools, but I would HIGHLY suggest finding a crap neck to practice on..... your first few tries will be really bad.

Get this dressing file, but it's only good for the ends. You'll also need some sanding sponges and some type of fret polishing pads/sticks.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...sing_File.html

Hit me up if you really want to try leveling/crowning/dressing.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 03:53 PM

Its settled. There is a guy in that Indonesian factory responsible for assembly and/or inspection RG3XXV necks, that just goes 'Eh, looks good to me'. I don't think one exists that doesn't have the sharp fret problem. A red one was suppose to be my 2nd RG guitar. I really wanted a RG with a maple fret board, that was supposedly better than the standard RG. The frets made me put it back on the rack.

Gear:
RG 2550 w/ evo2 breed neck
SZ520 paf pro neck stock bridge
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15

Tags
rg3xxv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode