NGD: RGD2127Z - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

NGD: RGD2127Z

Mostly been thinning the herd this year, but I used the proceeds from my RG2120X to put towards a seven string. Decided to go totally out of the box and went with an RGD2127Z. This one is a 2013 production and came with a TJC fitted case. Most of these I see are in a more traditional style case. Got this thing for a very good price. Only real issue with it is that there's a decent amount of polishing of the paint in the pick and forearm areas. Seems completely unvoidable with this finish.

Didn't care for the V77/V87 pickups (thought they were may too "metal" and compressed) so I threw a set of Illuminator 7's I had into it. Also decided that this guitar needed a beehive knob

Still trying to decide if I actually like or need seven string guitars. Have it tuned to drop A and have it strung with a custom string set (9, 11, 16, 24, 34, 44, 62).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 05:20 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: NGD: RGD2127Z

Happy NGD Jesse!!

Nothing like diving into the deep end, right?!?!?! LOL

I'm hoping you keep it around long enough to spend some serious time with it. I'll be interested to get your opinion of the neck and scale length once you've gotten comfortable playing it.

Nice call on the Illuminators. I just put my set into the 752. My first impression is pretty good, but I'm having trouble getting a patch I like on the HD500 that is geared specifically for the 7-string. I'm sure finding/writing the right patch on your AxeFX won't be nearly as bad.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Ryc, you would have laughed if you saw me stringing this thing. I put the 5th and 6th strings in the wrong place before I realized my error

Illuminators I like OK. I'm not blown away by them, although I'm still messing around with the height and the polepieces. I like the EVO 2 in my JC or the Gravity Storm in my Jem better. Makes me think that the Ionizers might be more to my liking. I already had them in my STW so I just pulled them out and stuck them in this.

Scale length difference I don't seem to really notice, at least with anything I've done with it so far. Seems like something that would come into play more if I were really trying to stretch out for notes.

The thing about the neck is not so much the profile but the width. I find that when riffing, my thumb ends up on the flat part of the back of the neck and gets uncomfortable pretty quickly. This could just have to do with my playing style. I tend to wrap my thumb way around on a six string, but this just isn't possible on a seven.

As I mentioned above, I just don't know what to do with the seventh string. I've used it most when playing clean, but I'm basically just substituting it for what the bass would do. Other than djent, what are people really using it for?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 08:44 PM

Beautiful guitar! Nicely done!

I have Illuminators on my 3727Z. I used these with my Kemper that I had previously. I didn't like them as much with any kind of modeller. However, with a tube amp, they are killer! Really happy with them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
I have Illuminators on my 3727Z. I used these with my Kemper that I had previously. I didn't like them as much with any kind of modeller. However, with a tube amp, they are killer! Really happy with them.
I spent some time with them yesterday and found that I absolutely love the neck pickup and like the sound of both pickups on clean patches with the volume rolled back (pretty quacky). It's the bridge pickup I don't like. I found it to be very ice pickey.

I don't know if this is due to the 7-string version of the pickup being voiced differently due to a different intended purpose of the guitar or what? But it continues my run of really liking the Petrucci neck pickup and really disliking the bridge pickup. I think this has something to do with how he uses his pickups. He does a lot of his soloing in the neck position and with this, I get that percussive pick attack that you hear all the time in DT stuff. But I think he's using the bridge pickup mostly for rhythm and he's going for a very focused, cutting tone. For me, I'd like the highs on the bridge pickup to be a lot warmer and smoother.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:08 PM

Question....is that a basswood guitar?

I have mine in a Mahogany bodied guitar. I don't have the high end issue with it. Not surprising that you are finding this with the pickup. Others have found this with certain setups as well with the bridge pickup. Interesting!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, basswood guitar. I had these in an STW (twin neck Saber) and I barely ever played that guitar, but when I did I enjoyed these pickups. Not liking them nearly as much in basswood.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode