NGD: S540FM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
rdm

NGD: S540FM

I started a thread last week about purchasing this guitar, and it finally arrived today. I really don't know where to start.... All I can say is that I finally "get it" when it comes to some Ibanez guitars. Never was a fan, but picked up an RG4EX from GC a few months ago. I'm in a tribute band and wanted to get the sound and I couldn't find this particular S540.

Anyway...the RG is cool and needed some much needed new pups and I dropped in an OFR, and it's a much better guitar...but still not what I would consider a great guitar.

So my S540 arrives today and I just can't put it down. Now I see what the fuss is all about. I used to be a manager at Guitar Center (don't hate) and got to play many high-end guitars....from original '63 strats to $16k and $22k PRS private reserve guitars...and I'm not kidding when I say this is hands down the best guitar I've ever played. The neck is insane. I'm not even a shredder....and damn.

As soon as I got it I put on some new strings and right away after stretching them out, no tuning stability issues...unlike my RG where I'm still fighting it, even after putting on an OFR. I can't believe how goodit sounds acoustically with such a thin body.

Again...NOW I get what the big deal is about Ibanez guitars. I'll have to post some new pics tonight....but here's the guitar before it left for delivery. It's a player....with some dings and whatnot, but still a great guitar. A post had been replaced...so I might have that replaced soon. I'll also probably take it in for some fret work.....but I gotta put it down first...haha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 05:13 PM

Re: NGD: S540FM

Real nice guitar, man. Congratulations! I want one.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
rdm

Thanks! There's 2 on the bay right now, but they're turquoise.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 06:41 PM

Reviews: 2

Congrats, the flame maple looks great. I managed to find a great deal on a 540S LTD a while back, bought it simply for the price. It's ridiculously thin all over and well playing, it is my comfiest guitar. Very unique guitars, very different from an RG, but I like both.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 07:08 PM

Nice top dude and your prob on your other might be springs.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 07:47 PM

I swear I'll buy me an S540 someday...CONGRATS on yours, it sure is amazing!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 PM

Nice axe man! I had the same one in green, and I'm now working on another one. All this RG talk, and honestly the 'S' holds its own and has its own place. The only thing I found on mine was that the F1 neck pup was a little thin. If you find the same, you can actualy swap the bridge and neck pup with each other. The f1s were originally in the bridge spot in the eighties 540Rs and sound decent, andthe f2s were used in the bridge and necks of some earlier years of RG750 and sound wicked. Either way, nice work on the guitar

Tags
flame maple , ibanez guitars , neck pup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode