NGD SBMM JP50 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

NGD SBMM JP50

Picked this up this past Saturday at the local guitar center. $269 out the door as is. Didn't include the tremolo bar, tools, or gig bag. Love the satin all black finish and hardware. Put some DR 10's on it, but it needs set up. Cool little guitar and can't beat the price! I would post some pics, but everything I try doesn't work so oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Re: NGD SBMM JP50

Here is one pic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1802_c.jpg (61.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Scott 74; 08-05-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Trying to get the pics to post
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

I emailed the Sterling folks and they told me the JP50 was a limited run model they did for Guitar Center. Probably not much different from the JP60 they offer now. I did notice the anchors for the trem post weren't glued in. Kind of scratching my head on why they wouldn't do that. Changing strings is a pain too, because the only way to do it without taking the bridge off is to clamp it to the body with the trem bar.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else own one of these or any of the other Sterling JP models? Just curious how you like it, and if your anchors are glued down? Am I the only one who cares *lol*
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I'm just going to keep talking to myself. By the way I can't stand the pup switch on these guitars. How on earth do you strum chords without hitting it!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 07:19 PM

I'm very tempted to get a JP70 Stealth at my local Guitar Center. They look awesome!
I'm a little confused about your description of changing the strings. You should not have to remove the bridge.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 07:49 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 74 View Post
By the way I can't stand the pup switch on these guitars. How on earth do you strum chords without hitting it!
that pup selector is in a strange spot...not sure if I would like that. Seems like a good deal though, and I believe those guitars come with locking tuners too, which is nice. I've never tried one but it's definitely a nice looking guitar and you got it for a nice price - congrats!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
I'm very tempted to get a JP70 Stealth at my local Guitar Center. They look awesome!
I'm a little confused about your description of changing the strings. You should not have to remove the bridge.
I like changing them all at once plus when you do it one at a time the bridge still angles downward enough that it makes me uncomfortable. The last thing I want is the bridge flying off. There is no way to prop the bridge up to keep it parallel like an Ibanez that actually has wood underneath the back part. So the only solution I could think of was to clamp it down w/the tremolo bar like Rich does. Make sense???
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
that pup selector is in a strange spot...not sure if I would like that. Seems like a good deal though, and I believe those guitars come with locking tuners too, which is nice. I've never tried one but it's definitely a nice looking guitar and you got it for a nice price - congrats!!!
Yeah that pup switch is driving me mad. I just started playing farther up towards the neck joint, but it still feels weird. I went and had a full set up done and had them glue/set the anchors for the trem posts. I think the pups might be the next to go. Gonna compare to my J-Custom and decide, but I've heard a lot of people say they switched them out and it sounded a lot better. Comfortable guitar though......thanks man.......by the way I slapped some neon pink DR's on it....awesome!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 74 View Post
I like changing them all at once plus when you do it one at a time the bridge still angles downward enough that it makes me uncomfortable. The last thing I want is the bridge flying off. There is no way to prop the bridge up to keep it parallel like an Ibanez that actually has wood underneath the back part. So the only solution I could think of was to clamp it down w/the tremolo bar like Rich does. Make sense???
Ahh, I see. That makes more sense.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Congrats Scott! I've got a JP6 and I love it. Super comfortable. The switch will take getting used to. Petrucci switches pickups quite often when he plays, so I guess he likes the switch to be handy (he also has a very controlled picking hand).
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dratsum View Post
Congrats Scott! I've got a JP6 and I love it. Super comfortable. The switch will take getting used to. Petrucci switches pickups quite often when he plays, so I guess he likes the switch to be handy (he also has a very controlled picking hand).
What color do you have? Can you post a pic? Thanks man!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 06:01 PM

Mystic Dream. I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of it handy. I'll try to get some together this weekend.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dratsum View Post
Mystic Dream. I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of it handy. I'll try to get some together this weekend.
No big deal. Man I love that mystic dream finish. I just realized yours is an American made too....that's awesome. Does it have the piezo?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 02:20 AM

Yeah. I wish I had a proper acoustic amp to get the most out of it, but aside from that, it's really great. The only *slightly* negative thing I can say about this guitar is that the frets are a little too small for my habits. Other then that, I adore it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode