ngd- sexy sabre - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
ngd- sexy sabre

Confession time......
I've always been a bit of a guitar snob. I've been very lucky with my purchases and I own some very nice instruments. I'm a player (not a collector) and have always played the instruments before I've handed over the cash so I get a good sounding and playing instrument.
My prestige RG has been downtuned to Eb to suit certain songs in my band so I was looking for another locking trem guitar to keep in standard tuning. I didn't want to pay a lot, but wasn't sure if I would like the feel of a cheaper guitar
Anyway, having trawled the net for guitar shops that may have ibanez in stock within a few hours drive I set off with a pocket full of cash. I tried an S420 along side S970cw an S770fm and a couple of premium Rgs. They were all great guitars and I was very tempted by the s970 and I liked the look of the binding and top on the 770 (although it should have a gloss finish imo) but the 420 was great. I kept going back to it, the finish is beautiful and no pic I've seen does it justice. The neck felt a little thicker than the other guitars, but certainly not chunky like the necks on my Fenders and Gibson guitars (I generally like thick necks). The sound was a little better and had a certain tightness on the premium rgs I tried, but I really liked the sound of this S420. It had a price of 375. I got the guitar, two packs of new strings and a center pocket fender hard case for 400.
I'm a very happy bunny

I've replaced the strings, removed the zero point thingy, lowered the action a bit (now 1.5mm and no fret buzz) could perhaps go lower but I'm happy and I lemon oiled the board as it looked really dry, its come up beautifully and I love the lack of position markers!

This is a guitar icon, why Ibanez don't use this on their higher end stuff, I don't know. I love the prestige RG I've got, but I wish it had the tick logo. Look at the way Fender use their 'spagetti' logo as a selling point, don't know why Ibanez don't do this.

So I'm no longer a guitar snob (hurrah!) at least guitar collecting got a great deal cheaper!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 04:51 PM

Re: ngd- sexy sabre

nice! do you plan on keeping it stock? In the 1st pick is that a scratch by thin input or just a reflection?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6

At the moment I'll keep it stock, but a pickup swap could be on the cards, got to sort the pickups on my RG first
Its not a scratch, but it does look like it doesn't it, its a reflection of some trim on the case.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 01:25 PM

Reviews: 1

Hey that looks great

What model is it?

edit.... please excuse my stupidity
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Reviews: 2

Cool one...congrats!

Tags
s420

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode