NGD: Some RG765DY Goodness for Your Weekend... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

NGD: Some RG765DY Goodness for Your Weekend...

So there I was, perusing eBay, when my eye was caught by a bright yellow RG. It was listed as an "RG320," but it sure didn't look like one. In fact, it looked a LOT like an RG765DY. So much, in fact, that I bought it with the Buy it Now. Judging by the price, I'm pretty sure they knew it wasn't an RG320.

I was pleased to find it, as just two weeks ago, I had purchased an RG765CA, only to have UPS lose the damned thing in shipping. Lost. Like, "We can't find it at our distribution center." I got my money back from a very decent and understanding seller, but I was somewhat disappointed not to have an RG765 in the stable. Consider it rectified.

It just arrived at my family's house on the mainland, so I haven't seen it in person yet, but I've got some pics. It's not perfect, but very serviceable. I'll have it fully restored and happy by springtime! Enjoy...

Last edited by TAorama; 10-05-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 PM

Re: NGD: Some RG765DY Goodness for Your Weekend...

Stunning guitar and a great score man. Major congratz on that!! I bet you can't wait to get your hands on it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 03:50 PM

OMG is that nice!
Great Prize!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 04:03 PM

Reviews: 1

Definately misadvertised. Not a bad price for a 765 with a case. Too bad you didn't snag it for a 320 price! Congrats on your score.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 04:12 PM

Good score!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
Definately misadvertised. Not a bad price for a 765 with a case. Too bad you didn't snag it for a 320 price! Congrats on your score.
Yeah. I knew exactly what it was, and I suspect they did too because of the price, but maybe didn't know the specific model number, OR they cut and pasted from another auction they'd run and forgot to edit. Who knows. It was the exact same price as the one that got lost, so I figure it was fate. I was just praying that the box didn't show up with an ACTUAL RG320 in it!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Simply WOW!!! one of my favourite guitars, I hope to have one of those one day!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Reviews: 2

Could I be any more jealous???? HELL NO!!!!

Great score man, I'm stoked for 'ya!!

Quick Q; Did all the 765's have a 5xx neck plate?? I don't think I've ever seen the back of one before.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Simply WOW!!! one of my favourite guitars, I hope to have one of those one day!
LOL....if you can't find one....make one!!!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM

Reviews: 11

Wow. That with another string and a non-reverse headstock (that's right, I like the normal better) would be my perfect guitar.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Quick Q; Did all the 765's have a 5xx neck plate?? I don't think I've ever seen the back of one before.
Thanks guys!

And good question on the neck plate. I did a quick search and found a few pics.

Here's the back of metalgod72's from his thread:

And found this other one too:

So, I guess that is the norm. I agree that it's strange that it's not the cast piece you'd normally see on an RG7XX.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
LOL....if you can't find one....make one!!!
Me + power tools is NOT a good idea.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 10:12 AM

I didn't know these existed in DY. Wow, what a great score.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 11:01 AM

I would take that over CA any day. I guess this one was meant to be!

Any idea how to deal with the circular, discolored dings like the one near the SC?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_f View Post
Any idea how to deal with the circular, discolored dings like the one near the SC?
I'll have to look at some of the other spots to see if there's much discoloration/yellowing of the clear coat. If it's still pretty clear, then it's not too hard. I'll put some paint-prep cleaner/degreaser (like Prep-Sol) on a q-tip and try to clean the crack out as much as possible. Applying the degreaser will also show how the ding would look repaired as-is. If it pretty well hides the ding as-is, then I'd just apply some very thin super-glue to the ding, fill the crack, then wet sand and polish.

If there's a bunch of stuff in the crack that won't come out just by cleaning, or if the edges of the clear in the crack itself are discolored, then I'll take an exacto knife and CAREFULLY scrape away the clear in and around the crack until I have all the contaminants or discoloration removed. Then I fill the area with super glue, wet sand, and polish. You have to be very careful not to get into the color coat. Go very slowly, use light pressure, and check your progress by applying degreaser periodically to see how it would look filled.

If there's an overall yellowing of the clear coat, it's a lot tougher if you have to scrape stuff out of the crack. If you remove the yellowed clear and then replace it with clear super-glue, you run a risk of having a lighter-colored repair area.

There's always the possibility that the repair won't look any better than the crack. Gotta be careful and go slow. Or just decide to live with the ding. On a black guitar, this is a piece of cake. On something really bright like DY, the repairs can be a lot harder to hide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode