Ibanez JEM Forum banner

NGD: Squier Deluxe Stratocaster

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  LonePhantom 
#1 ·
So my belated birthday present arrived today. Thanks to RGTFanatic, who some of the old timers will remember, he picked this up on eBay on my behalf and got it sent over to Australia.

So the body is in pretty good condition, the hardware is not. Tuners barely like to move. I have Ratios ready to install, and a spare jack plate. I'll clean up the neck plate and the trem baseplate. A parchment pickguard and cavity cover should arrive soon. I'll try and clean up the screws and trees too. The nut looks a little rough, and the neck, well, who knows exactly what happened to it. I'll try cleaning it up first, and see where I'm at.

The truss rod needs to be loosened a bit, but it should play amazing when I'm sorted. I also have a set of Duncan Hendrix pickups waiting to go in this.

See less See more
#6 ·
I spent the weekend cleaning up my Deluxe Strat, and wrote up a blog on my restoration. It's looking heaps better now. I think I am going to have to get a new nut, as it appears to be cut too deeply on the treble strings side. I'm thinking I'll go with the usual Graphtech nut, but I'm curious about trying something new too. I'm not under the impression that this guitar was not the victim of a bad relic job, but of water damage.

You can read up how I cleaned up all of the parts here: Squier Deluxe Stratocaster restoration ? Lone Phantom

Before:

After:

#7 ·
So on top of the potential deeply cut nut, I've also got a neck that can't get enough relief. The truss rod is completely loose, and I can't get the strings to add a little bow to the neck, it seems completely flat. I'm concerned that the likely water damage to the guitar resulted in it being left with no strings for a very long time, resulting in the truss rod not doing much. It could come good over several weeks I'm guessing, but I'd rather get it in shape sooner rather than later. Any ideas on how to get the truss rod reset? I was thinking heavier strings for a period of time with it loosened, and then gradually tightening it over the course of several days, but I thought some members here may have some better (tried and tested) ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.