NGD: USA Custom - UCGR "Strung Out" - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

NGD: USA Custom - UCGR "Strung Out"

Just got in this new beauty. It's a 1990 UCGR with the "Strung Out" graphic by Pamelina. I'm amazed by how nice the condition of the guitar is. No edge chips, only a couple back edge pinhead circle dings. No neck joint cracks either, no buckle rash and the hardware was basically mint. Only noticeable wear was some moderate pick swirling, which I was able to mostly hand polish out. Not much else to say about this one except enjoy!

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: NGD: USA Custom - UCGR "Strung Out"

BOUT DAMN TIME!!!!

Very very awesome
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 05:51 PM

congrats thats a beauty..enjoy it...u lucky dog..lol
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM

not a fan of that graphic, but i would kill for a usac with a very mint condition like that.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 09:23 PM

Reviews: 1

Congrats on the new USGR. Looks in superb condition. I would have went for it if it had 2 hums. Did it come with the original case?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 PM

http://youtu.be/fBxFkzg8G64
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 PM

Reviews: 2

Damn Jesse!!!

And i thought you'd given up on UCGR's in favor of JC's.......

MAN WAS I WRONG!!!

amazing condition too, now I get the teaser you were passing out last week about the H-S config.

How do you like the coil tap on the C2?? VLX-54 switch??
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 PM

Reviews: 4

Looks fantastic Jesse!! Congrats, I dig the finish! Although, I'm pretty sure the reason the Blue guy looks so 'strung out' is because he's on an arm rest... ya know I think most of us would be.... Enjoy it!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
Congrats on the new USGR. Looks in superb condition. I would have went for it if it had 2 hums. Did it come with the original case?
H-S is where it's at for me. I knew it would be in good shape but not this good. It did come with the original case, although the original owner had colored in the Ibanez and the lines with silver paint. It's just a Prestige Deluxe case though, so nothing special.

Also came with the warranty card and the original receipt from 8/18/90, which is very cool. They list the model number as "C-561 M". We've all seen the model number stamped in the neck pocket on UCGR's, but I always thought it was a U? The M is written more like a mu on the warranty card. So it might be a U, which would make more sense. It's seems to be a sequential serial number of sorts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Damn Jesse!!!

And i thought you'd given up on UCGR's in favor of JC's.......

MAN WAS I WRONG!!!

amazing condition too, now I get the teaser you were passing out last week about the H-S config.

How do you like the coil tap on the C2?? VLX-54 switch??
Thanks, Ryc! I knew you'd like it. I think I need some input from you on the switch. I'm not 100% positive it's working right. I'm getting a good deal of hum in one of the positions. When you say "down for full humbucker" does that mean with the switch towards the bridged poles on the switch? I need to look at it tomorrow. I might have it installed upside down.

As far as the switch, it's a YM-30, same as my 540P.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:20 AM

This should help..........

Then do this with the mini-switch:

the grounds on the switch indicate the side that is coil-tapping. IE.... if you have the grounds toward the bottom of the guitar, the switch will have to be up to tap. down will still have the black and white wires open as if they were just taped off in the cavity.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:49 AM

Reviews: 120

Ah man that is so awesome, love it! Congratulations. Been a bunch of really nice guitars coming up here lately. Making me jealous!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 AM

Reviews: 1

lovely......
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
This should help..........
Thanks, Ryc. It turns out it's a bit different. Since it's a H-S guitar, unlike your H-H, only the bridge pickup is going through the switch.

And the layout of the switch isn't exactly like the drawing. It's the same switch they used in a number of guitars through '88 for pickup switching. There are six poles, but two are on the ends and then there are two on either side. The two on the ends are jumpered together and tied to ground. The black/white from the bridge pickup was wired to the upper left lug, so when the switch was down, it grounded and split the coils. Up was full humbucker. I didn't like that, so I moved it to the lower left lug and now down is full humbucker. The switch was actually installed with the blade operating side to side, which is possibly because of the way it was wired. Up and down makes more sense to me

The hum I was getting was only when I was running the bridge pickup with the coils split. On the YM-30, it looked like the red wire was touching the third lug in, so I slightly repositioned the wire. I'm not sure if it was that or resoldering the coil ground, but the hum is now gone.

Thanks again!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM

had this poster on my wall as a kid.. I used to dream of having one.. I see yours has a maple neck in the poster..
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Thanks, Ryc. It turns out it's a bit different. Since it's a H-S guitar, unlike your H-H, only the bridge pickup is going through the switch.

And the layout of the switch isn't exactly like the drawing. It's the same switch they used in a number of guitars through '88 for pickup switching. There are six poles, but two are on the ends and then there are two on either side. The two on the ends are jumpered together and tied to ground. The black/white from the bridge pickup was wired to the upper left lug, so when the switch was down, it grounded and split the coils. Up was full humbucker. I didn't like that, so I moved it to the lower left lug and now down is full humbucker. The switch was actually installed with the blade operating side to side, which is possibly because of the way it was wired. Up and down makes more sense to me

The hum I was getting was only when I was running the bridge pickup with the coils split. On the YM-30, it looked like the red wire was touching the third lug in, so I slightly repositioned the wire. I'm not sure if it was that or resoldering the coil ground, but the hum is now gone.

Thanks again!
Cool, the C2 is a humbucker though. There are two wires on the bottom of the pup soldered together and taped up (both black). You have to run a jumper from these wires to the mini-switch for tapping.

Does yours sound like this?? and yes, that's Damien with my 760HP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfdSsMfDNcc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode