NGD (used) and a thank you. :) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

NGD (used) and a thank you. :)

Well, that 'waskally' boyfriend of mine is at it again... this time he bought an OLD RG550. 1990 according to the serial number.
I'm always leery about buying something this old, and in this rough shape (that's why I'm interested in the new 'throwback' guitars they have in Japan now)
Anyway, on with the story. He buys the guitar, cheap, $175. When he calls me I'm thinking, "Oh boy, either we hit gold or it's total crap."
He comes home and it's wrapped in a trash bag, no strings, beat up pretty badly. Bridge and other hardware looks new, so I'm thinking if it's crap and not worth bothering with it at least the bridge, nut, etc. should get us our money back on evil-bay.
He hands me the guitar and says, "Here, you're the 'Ibanez Expert' of the house, see what you can do with it." He's been playing guitar for as long as he could walk and 'I'm' the 'expert'?
So I clean it up as best I can. Once I got all the crud off of the body and neck it's not too horrible looking.
Time for strings. Going okay until I actually put some tension on the neck and: CRACKED NECK! I felt it before I saw it, there's a 'W' shaped crack right behind the nut where the bolts go through. Oh well, whatcha gonna do? You roll the dice, right?
So I show him and he shrugs and says, "I guess I should have looked closer."
Ya think? MEN! I swear.. but on with the tale.
So I'm thinking, 'maybe it can be fixed.' I type 'guitar neck repair' into google and one of the hits is our very own Ibanez Rules. Click that puppy!
He gives a nice tutorial on how to squeeze glue into the crack(s) and finishing etc. I look it over and think, "Wow, I could do that!"
Off to Wal-Mart!
Glue: check
Sandpaper: check
Clamps: check
Board: check (Well, used the frame of an old ironing board)
Tung oil: check
Two hours or so later I've got everything glued, sanded and oiled. You can still see the cracks outline thanks to lots of discoloration, but you can't feel them and it seems very strong.
Next day: strings.
Watch repair intently, and..... BINGO! It's just fine! Had to pull the strings after to rewire the bridge pickup that wasn't working, but while I had it off I figured I'd see if I can figure out what pickups these are and if I'm reading this right; there's a Super Distortion in the bridge and a P.A.F Pro in the neck. No clue on the single. So even if I couldn't fix the neck, We'd have gotten our money back and then some.
Needs a fret level, maybe even new frets, but it's playable with medium-low action. About like an acoustic. Stays in tune pretty well as well.
This is why I commented about those throwback guitars. I'd rather spend $1000 or more on a new guitar that's like this one was new, than have to go through this, but at least I have my RG550.
The 'thank you' goes to Rich Harris. If not for your page I'd have most likely torn it apart and you'd have seen the parts on evil-bay this weekend.
The only thing (aside from the obvious) is the fret board. My God it's filthy!
I do have to admit though, this neck is thinner than my RG1550 and it has a 'shallower' profile, I guess you could say. It actually fits better in my little bitty hand than the 1550. Different profile, I guess. Did the 1990 RG550 have the 'Original Wizard' neck?
Thanks for reading guys and gals, just thought I'd share.
Oh, and according to the old catalogs on ibanezrules.com the color looks like Coral Mist Metallic. It's not red enough to be Road Flare. It's a pretty color. In bright light it almost looks pink, but in dimmer lighting it looks more red.
While not what I dreamed, considering everything I think I'm going to be happy with this once I get the frets taken care of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 09:04 AM

Re: NGD (used) and a thank you. :)

I like finding these old guitars cos' you can afford to work on them plenty if (like me) you're no expert. No way I'd start tearing my Jem apart without some serious planning first. Thanks to Rich also for the online tutorials which have helped me plenty though...

Best part for me though is not caring a hoot about taking them out to play. I know all guitars should be played blah blah blah but a Monday night in a rough bar isn't gonna tempt me to get out the good stuff. Nice old RG fettled well and we have another story altogether.

Got a pic of the RG?? It's not Grape Ice is it? That was a colour...
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 10:28 AM

A girl who plays and works on Ibanez guitars? What just about every forum bro on here wishes for :P.

Nice save on the old RG. Yes, they still did the original Wizard neck in the early 90s, and because they're so slim, cracks around the locking nut bolts are quite common (there's not much wood there at all, given the truss rod channel and the bolt holes themselves). I guess it's a reason the XX anniversary and these new Genesis models have 5 piece necks.

The colour could perhaps be a flip-flop type that changes hue with the way light hits it? I've seen one old RG (a 570) that has a finish like you describe.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
A girl who plays and works on Ibanez guitars? What just about every forum bro on here wishes for :P.
Sorry buddy, I'm taken. Read above where I got the guitar. J/K
I don't really 'work' on them. It was cheap so I figured I'd take a chance. I can rub glue, that's easy, but doing something like frets, 'dat ain't happenin'.
I'm good with a soldering iron, so I was able to wire it once I figured out how it should be wired. Not too hard.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...B1JvahwoV92gBU

Two quick pictures. Lousy camera in my phone.
If I ever get my good camera fixed I'll upload better pictures of this and my RG1550 too. You can see my favorite 'curl up in front of the TV' puppy blanky though.
Maybe one or two of me playing, but not likely, I'm really shy.
Like I said, after I got all the crud off of the body and the back of the neck, it doesn't look bad. With the blurry image you can't really see all the nicks and dings all over it, but they are small and don't affect the way it plays.
I've read a lot about cleaning the fretboard but it looks to me like there's no clear at all left so I'm guessing that cleaning it would be pointless since with no clear coat it will just get filthy again. I'm kind of diggin the aged look though. Jeff (boyfriend, some of you know that by now ) says that the proper way to 'relic' a guitar is to play it for twenty years. Well, there's the proof!
And yes, I'm a 23 year old that just used the word 'diggin'. Deal with it! LOL
I thought about stripping it and re-painting, but I can't find this color in any other catalog besides 1990. Is this color a one year run? If it is, doesn't that make it a bit more collectible and rare? I doubt I'd find this color anywhere in a paint shop anyway, so I think it will stay as is. It is really pretty, once you squint and ignore the scratches and dents and dings.
Wow, I just realized how much I type, and not say a whole lot with so many words. LOL
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Just noticed part of the picture got cut off, no clue what happened, but you can still see most of it.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 07:56 AM

Hehe .

Most work is common sense and going slowly.

The maple looks good to me; I've seen some that are quite a bit grimier. My axes have oil finished necks, so they've turned a caramel colour over the near 30 years since being made. Looks a bit like that roasted maple that's all the rage with Music Man and Suhr, actually.

The neck finish Ibanez turned to in 1987 doesn't seem to have a protective layer beneath it, so when it wears out and the maple is exposed, it goes grey. You see it on old Fender necks where the nitro has worn off.

Yes, the colour was 1990 only – Coral Mist Metallic (CM). I wouldn't say it makes it collectible (people fetishize this kind of stuff too much, imo, in an effort to ask more $$ down the road), as it's quite normal for companies to offer a particular colour for only a year. There are staples, and then there are ones that are rotated.

Without going on a diatribe about new reliced guitars, most would never see such an amount of wear - how many people out there play 100-200 gigs per year for 10+ years? True, finishes were thinner and more brittle in the old days, but still, I don't get the relic thing.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Okay, wrong choice of words. It was almost 3AM
Not 'collectible', but how about 'somewhat-unique'?
Since it was only the one year and I don't see it anywhere in the catalogs since.

"Common sense", now there's a phrase that is a bit of an oxymoron these days.
"'Common sense' is the least common of all the senses." - Charles Manson
"There's nothing common about common sense." - Michelle Stanza (ME!)
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 06:31 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianPCTech View Post
Okay, wrong choice of words. It was almost 3AM
Not 'collectible', but how about 'somewhat-unique'?
Since it was only the one year and I don't see it anywhere in the catalogs since.

"Common sense", now there's a phrase that is a bit of an oxymoron these days.
"'Common sense' is the least common of all the senses." - Charles Manson
"There's nothing common about common sense." - Michelle Stanza (ME!)
No, you were absolutely correct in your choice of words. Coral Mist is SIGNIFICANTLY more rare than most of the sought after colors on 550's. Rare is the perfect word for it. It is also MORE collectable, being that it IS a rare color. It may not have any more value than any other 550, but it certainly is rare and collectable.

Tell Jeff he did a DAMN fine job on this one!!! Rare color Ibanez don't pop up often- especially in that price range. Great job an cleaning her up too- even with the so-so pics, it looks great. I wouldn't try to re-finish it if I were you. Well, yes I would, but I'd be pissed at myself for doing it....... it's a sickness I have................

Congratulations kiddo!! keep that one safe and warm under your fuzzy puppy blanket........... The guitar that is...............
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

I think I found a case for it. The guy said it's an Ibanez plastic molded case, M100C from 1992... seems 'period correct', right?
Now... to find an instruction manual from 1990 and a warranty card. LOL Oh, and a catalog. I like having the catalogs that correspond to the model year.
Good luck with that though... I'm sure those things are nearly impossible to find after 20+ years. I'll watch evil-bay though.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
No, you were absolutely correct in your choice of words. Coral Mist is SIGNIFICANTLY more rare than most of the sought after colors on 550's. Rare is the perfect word for it. It is also MORE collectable, being that it IS a rare color. It may not have any more value than any other 550, but it certainly is rare and collectable.

Tell Jeff he did a DAMN fine job on this one!!! Rare color Ibanez don't pop up often- especially in that price range. Great job an cleaning her up too- even with the so-so pics, it looks great. I wouldn't try to re-finish it if I were you. Well, yes I would, but I'd be pissed at myself for doing it....... it's a sickness I have................

Congratulations kiddo!! keep that one safe and warm under your fuzzy puppy blanket........... The guitar that is...............
Thanks RGT.
I think the previous owner only let it go so cheap because it was so filthy, it looked like total crap... plus the crack. I guess he figured he had a 'sucker', but he just didn't know how 'easy' it is to fix.
Only thing I'm a little upset about is the fingerboard. You can't really see it in that picture but it's REALLY dirty. Plus there's this green crap in the wood right next to the frets that looks like tarnish that sunk into the wood from the nickel frets.
Looks like the only way to get that out would be to sand it down and put a thin clear coat on it, but the damned thing is so thin already I'd be afraid to do that. And as I said before, I'll never attempt to do frets. I'm really not that good with my hands. (No comments from the Peanut Gallery, please. )
I'll live with it. My #1, right now, is still my RG1550. Still hot for a Jem, but we'll see what happens later on when I finish school, or... Jeff gets that promotion at work he's bucking for. (My birthday is coming up in November. <wink wink, nudge nudge>)
Oh, wait Um, darn, no 'nudge' smilie. LOL
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

http://sdrv.ms/17G4w98

Added a couple of fuzzy pictures of the fretboard close up. You can see the tarnish I'm talking about. I don't have any bright lights here in the basement (it's finished, no damp dingy basement for my guitars! LOL) so I can't really get a good picture. I'll take it outside when the sun is shining bright and try to get a better picture.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianPCTech View Post
I think I found a case for it. The guy said it's an Ibanez plastic molded case, M100C from 1992... seems 'period correct', right?
Now... to find an instruction manual from 1990 and a warranty card. LOL Oh, and a catalog. I like having the catalogs that correspond to the model year.
Good luck with that though... I'm sure those things are nearly impossible to find after 20+ years. I'll watch evil-bay though.
Yeah, the M100C should fit fine.

Well, here's a 1991 instruction manual: http://ibanez87.it/english/catalogs/e-man-91.html.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, the M100C should fit fine.

Well, here's a 1991 instruction manual: http://ibanez87.it/english/catalogs/e-man-91.html.
Thanks for the link to the manual. I'm hoping to find an actual original printed one though. I think I'll have better luck hopping to Saturn on a pogo-stick.
And a catalog? Doubt that too.
I'm weird like that, I like having all that stuff. I bought a new bar for it (didn't have one and I was using the one from my 1550) and the case I found is a little beat up, but so is the guitar so it's a 'match'. It's the right case too, looks just like the one from the 1990 catalog on www.ibanez.com.
It's become my favorite. It's just so comfortable and as much as I still love my RG1550, the neck just isn't quite thin enough for my hands.
Not that I can't, or don't, play it, it's just an adjustment when I do and when I go back to the RG550, it's like having a pair of shoes that are cute and comfortable.

Last edited by Meechy; 11-03-2013 at 05:32 PM.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 05:42 AM

They do pop up occasionally; have to keep an eye out constantly.

Yeah, I know what you mean about having the 'right' spec stuff. I discovered not that long ago when I assembled my RG410 that the Edge arm for 1986-87 is slightly different in shape and lower profile. I like it more than the modern replacement I had to get for my PL1770 but fat chance of finding another!

Hmm, you'd probably love the new Genesis reissue RGs. They've got the original super skinny Wizard necks.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
They do pop up occasionally; have to keep an eye out constantly.

Yeah, I know what you mean about having the 'right' spec stuff. I discovered not that long ago when I assembled my RG410 that the Edge arm for 1986-87 is slightly different in shape and lower profile. I like it more than the modern replacement I had to get for my PL1770 but fat chance of finding another!

Hmm, you'd probably love the new Genesis reissue RGs. They've got the original super skinny Wizard necks.
They arent original to the original 550s. The necks on the Genesis collections are prestige super wizards that, dimensionally, are a little thinner at the joint for easier access to playing on the higher frets and a little bit thicker towards the headstock than the Super Wizards on the RG2550 line.

Tags
cracked neck , ngd , repair , rg 550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode