NGD: Warmoth Strat project guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

NGD: Warmoth Strat project guitar

I posted pics (somewhere) of a lot of these parts back when I got them, but I finally got around to assembling the guitar. I consider the guitar in shakedown mode right now and it needs to come back apart to correct some stuff, most notably the fretwork, which is still very rough and the electronics. Pics first:

Specs:

Body: Strat solid alder, front-routed, AAA quilted maple top
Finish: Jungle Burst, natural masked binding, trans green back finish
Neck: ebony heartwood, neck and fretboard, no finish
Shape: Modern Thin profile (similar to current USA Strat), 10-16" compound radius board
Construction: Modern Construction w/ double-expanding truss rod and Gotoh side adjust mechanism
Frets: 6100 stainless
Nut: LSR roller
Tuners: Gotoh SGS510Z MG-T
Bridge: Gotoh EV510T-FE
Pickups: DiMarzio Area 61 (neck), Area 67 (middle), Heavy Blues 2 (bridge)
Pots: Stew Mac/CTS 250k
Switch: DiMarzio Megaswitch
Output jack: Switchcraft
Strap pins: Gotoh strap lock
Neck and output jack plates: Gotoh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 09:46 AM

Re: NGD: Warmoth Strat project guitar

That's a beauty dude! Love the top and neck!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 05:50 PM

Looks killer. I'm a big fan of Warmoth necks. I have 2 on different teles.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 06:32 AM

Nice one, love the colour.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I can't wait to get the frets in order on this thing and round the fretboard edges a bit. Right now this thing is not comfortable at all. Also might go for a solid gloss black guard while I have the thing apart. Not sure I'm in love with the laminated guard with the natural binding right there. Too many lines and the bright white line really stands out.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 12:06 PM

Reviews: 10

Wow, that looks great!!! Love the top on that guitar! I have a Warmoth Strat too and they have some beautiful wood offerings - especially the unfinished necks (I have a Goncalo / pau ferro neck that I really like). The only downside of buying the Warmoth necks is that they need work when you get them - frets, truss adjustment, etc. as per your point, which is a drag...but once you have it all set up that should be a great guitar! I like the pickguard that you have on it - I think the laminated guard helps make it 'pop' nicely...but I'm sure the solid guard will look nice too! congrats! =)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 08:32 AM

Looks great. I'm a big fan of warmoth stuff. Compound radius neck with stainless frets is just awesome.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 05:37 PM

That's a sweet top... they did an awesome job on that one!
I agree with you on the pickguard... black ftw
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. That's a showcase body that I'd been eyeing for a long time. Not 100% the specs I would have chosen but they make it really pricey to do build-to-order. When they ran a promo 20% off any Showcase item I had to pull the trigger. Apparently like the second sale in the history of Warmoth.

Neck was an impulse buy, also from the Showcase and I hope I like it. I'm thinking about doing some of those tiny offset dot inlays in this neck like you did on that PGM neck (that project is also slowly working its way along).

The one other thing that's really bothering me is the pickguard ended up slightly misaligned. I was super careful about aligning it and taping it down, so it must have been the turd drill I used. Got a really nice new drill for Christmas so I might dowel the holes and try again.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 06:12 PM

Yeah it looks like the poles might not quite be lined up perfect, but it doesn't look too horrible in the pics... looks good from here man! But if I know you, you'll fix it

Those tiny dots looked sweet on ebony so they should work great on this one!
I'm working on an all Ebony neck (well minus 2 thin mahogany stringers) right now and I was thinking about those little dots for it. Do you still have a link to where you got yours?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 08:41 PM

Reviews: 1

That is a stunning body. Been wanting to have an Ibanez square heel built like that from Christopher Woods. Missed out on one a while back on the bay. Had a similar top as yours.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
Those tiny dots looked sweet on ebony so they should work great on this one!
I'm working on an all Ebony neck (well minus 2 thin mahogany stringers) right now and I was thinking about those little dots for it. Do you still have a link to where you got yours?
http://www.luthiersupply.com/

When you call some guy basically answers the phone, but they're legit. The dots you put on that ebony board were 3mm white MOP and the dots I'm thinking about putting on this are 3mm gold MOP.

I bought a very fine jewelry file and have figured out how to do the inlays with the frets in place (practiced on some junk necks). Basically took the shell down most of the way with a file and then finished it with a razor blade using Dan Erlewine's method for drop fill lacquer repairs. Just a bit nervous about taking a hand drill to this fretboard.

About the pickups, other than looking off, my bigger problem is actually functional with the bridge pickup. I'm not getting nearly enough volume on the higher notes out of the bridge pickup and I feel like the misalignment has something to do with this.

The other funny thing you might notice is that the a few of the rear cover holes are very close to the cavity. I spent all this time measuring things and agonizing over placement, then that happened. Definitely a learning experience building this thing!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 10:53 AM
SYL

Beautiful.

Gold hardware would rock this
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
http://www.luthiersupply.com/

When you call some guy basically answers the phone, but they're legit. The dots you put on that ebony board were 3mm white MOP and the dots I'm thinking about putting on this are 3mm gold MOP.

I bought a very fine jewelry file and have figured out how to do the inlays with the frets in place (practiced on some junk necks). Basically took the shell down most of the way with a file and then finished it with a razor blade using Dan Erlewine's method for drop fill lacquer repairs. Just a bit nervous about taking a hand drill to this fretboard.

About the pickups, other than looking off, my bigger problem is actually functional with the bridge pickup. I'm not getting nearly enough volume on the higher notes out of the bridge pickup and I feel like the misalignment has something to do with this.

The other funny thing you might notice is that the a few of the rear cover holes are very close to the cavity. I spent all this time measuring things and agonizing over placement, then that happened. Definitely a learning experience building this thing!
Thanks for the link! I'd be a little nervous about using a hand drill too, it's so easy to move off center or let the bit dig in too much. Not enough control for delicate projects...

Lining the poles up with the strings should fix the issues you're having. I always use strings or some heavy gauge "Firewire" fishing line with tension on just the high and low e strings when I install pickups. Then there are no surprises later

One of the things I really love about building guitars is just the mental challenge of staying so focused all the time. It's so easy to make a mistake, you have to stay hyper alert with just about everything you do... well making good ones anyway
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 12:23 PM

I like the look of that bridge. Does that use the same sort ofg push-in arm with an allen key to adjust tension on an internal collar like the Gotoh Wilkinsons?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode